Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MicroDOS - a simple loader for PSRAM based system (now with USB keyboard) - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

MicroDOS - a simple loader for PSRAM based system (now with USB keyboard)

2»

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,274

That's worst case environmental and manufacturing minimum with additional margin. I doubt you're that concerned with fitting spec. In reality, unless it's a Schmitt then it's Vdd/2.

• pik33pik33 Posts: 2,352
    edited 2023-05-08 11:30

Using a proper USB keyboard driver (Wuerfel21's usbnew)

Here is a proper zip of 0.04

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,032
    edited 2024-05-03 13:09

Was just wondering if there was a way to use PSRAM to load and run a binary from uSD. Glad you figured it out already.

There are probably some differences between this and a hardware reset though right?
    Guess system counter is not reset to zero.
    Maybe smartpins aren't reset...
    Anything else?

• RossHRossH Posts: 5,373

For those just looking for a DOS-like (actually more UNIX-like) loader that can load programs from uSD cards and use the PSRAM, Catalina's Catalyst does pretty much all the things mentioned in this thread. There is a video of it in operation here (the second video on this page):

https://www.patreon.com/catalina_c

The video shows it running on a P2 EVAL board fitted with a HyperRAM PSRAM add-on board. It also works on a P2 EDGE card fitted with PSRAM. The PSRAM is not actually required by Catalyst, which will run on a bare Propeller 2 - but if it is installed it can be used. For instance, it is used to run the Catalina C Compiler itself on the Propeller 2.

In the video Catalyst is compiled to use a serial HMI. But this was just for the demo. It can be compiled just as easily to use a VGA HMI and USB keyboard.

Catalyst is built using Catalina, but is not restricted to executing Catalina binaries - it can run any binaries from the uSD card.

Ross.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,032

@RossH, you figured out how to load and execute P2 binary from uSD without PSRAM? That's quite a trick...

• RossHRossH Posts: 5,373

@Rayman said:
    @RossH, you figured out how to load and execute P2 binary from uSD without PSRAM? That's quite a trick...

Catalyst uses the same techniques on the P2 as it has been using on the P1 for a decade or more. With or without external RAM.

edited 2024-05-04 10:04

@Rayman said:
    Was just wondering if there was a way to use PSRAM to load and run a binary from uSD. Glad you figured it out already.

There are probably some differences between this and a hardware reset though right?
    Guess system counter is not reset to zero.
    Maybe smartpins aren't reset...
    Anything else?

I don't know, I have no problems with loading binaries using this.

Now I have a Basic interpreter for EC32 that is flashed, so the P2 starts with "Ready" prompt. Then "brun filename" Basic command loads and runs the binary file using the same technique (and that means I don't use MicroDOS anymore)