WebUsb/Web Serial — Parallax Forums

WebUsb/Web Serial

I'm wondering if anyone has tried implementing WebUsb or Web serial on P2

Comments

• ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,627
    edited 2024-02-08 15:38

@Untel said:
    I'm wondering if anyone has tried implementing WebUsb or Web serial on P2

What do you mean? AFAIK, nobody has even ported any JavaScript interpreter to the P2.

Or do you mean you want the P2 to be accessible via WebUSB or Web Serial in a browser on e.g. a PC? If that's the case, then since WebUSB and Web Serial are just JS APIs for normal USB and Serial, it should just work with any P2 application that already acts as a USB device or that talks serial.

• When I tried to connect the P2, properly programmed as a serial port via USB using a WebUsb compatible Chromium web browser version, I received this message: No compatible devices were found. I use this chromium with certain MCU cards that I know are WebUsb compatible without problem. I wonder if the process requires a driver for the p2 that informs the browser that it is WebUsb compatible.

• A lower baud rate on the P2 solved the problem. The web terminal I'm using is auto baud limited to 115200.

• ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,627
    edited 2024-02-09 05:04

@Untel said:
    When I tried to connect the P2, properly programmed as a serial port via USB using a WebUsb compatible Chromium web browser version, I received this message: No compatible devices were found. I use this chromium with certain MCU cards that I know are WebUsb compatible without problem. I wonder if the process requires a driver for the p2 that informs the browser that it is WebUsb compatible.

The whole point of WebUSB and Web Serial is that it can be used with normal USB or serial devices, so it doesn't make any sense for a device to need to be aware of WebUSB or Web Serial.

What P2 board are you using? If it doesn't have a built-in USB to serial converter, could you be using a non-Parallax converter that can't do above 115200 baud?