Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Raspberry Pi 5 — Parallax Forums

Raspberry Pi 5

RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,824
edited 2023-09-28 15:17 in General Discussion

Since Parallax is now a distributor, how will it handled? Will you be taking pre orders?

I am really interested in the 8GB version. Just thinking, if it could be coupled with the P2, in an easy way to use, what could you really do with it.

Ray

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2023-09-29 20:58

I've just been reading the releases.

Faster, but also some significant IO flow changes, They say :

RP1 is our I/O controller for Raspberry Pi 5, designed by the same team at Raspberry Pi that delivered the RP2040 microcontroller, and implemented, like RP2040, on TSMC’s mature 40LP process.
    It provides

• 2 USB 2.0 ports & 2 USB 3.0 ports that support simultaneous 5Gbps operation
    • a Gigabit Ethernet controller;
    • two four-lane MIPI transceivers for camera and display;
    • analogue video output;
    • 3.3V general-purpose I/O (GPIO);
    • and the usual collection of GPIO-multiplexed low-speed interfaces (UART, SPI, I2C, I2S, and PWM).
      A four-lane PCI Express 2.0 interface provides a 16Gb/s link back to BCM2712.

It's unclear if that has a local processor, or what latencies there are now added between the MPU and the IO registers / pins ?

The process of the RP1 looks quick, as it supports PCI to 16Gb and USB to 5Gb
    Wonder what speed SPI/UART/I2S will manage in the 3.3V domain ?

There is also a 3 pin header between then HDMI ports that has the Arm debug and UART (three pins),
    That will be direct to the MPU, but speeds are unclear

• We are a distributor and will receive these as early as any other distributors. Go here https://www.parallax.com/product/raspberry-pi-5-4gb/ and add yourself to the email waitlist. The second they are in stock, you will get an e-mail and you can place the order on-line.

I am still thinking of ways of letting our key customers (all of you, on our forums) know when that will happen so you can be ready to place your order. I have my regular e-mail newsletter and these forums as a way to communicate Parallax's customer base directly (vs. the scalpers). Will think that over - we have a few weeks.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.

• @"Ken Gracey" said:
    We are a distributor and will receive these as early as any other distributors. Go here https://www.parallax.com/product/raspberry-pi-5-4gb/ and add yourself to the email waitlist. The second they are in stock, you will get an e-mail and you can place the order on-line.

I am still thinking of ways of letting our key customers (all of you, on our forums) know when that will happen so you can be ready to place your order. I have my regular e-mail newsletter and these forums as a way to communicate Parallax's customer base directly (vs. the scalpers). Will think that over - we have a few weeks.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.

Hello!
    And Ken? I must say this is great news to hear. The actual devices are becoming difficult to find physically.

• A couple of suggestions. I noticed in the store, you have a USB-C power supply, will that work with the rpi 5?
    Also you may want to add the new rpi 5 case, which has some cooling capabilities. The mini HDMI cable should also include a VGA converter for those that will be using a standard monitor. Hopefully you can come up with a cable that connects the rpi 5 to a P2, via the UART. just a few thoughts.

Ray

• How many were lucky enough to get a Raspberry Pi 5 yesterday?

Ray

• I got mine early by being a MagPi subscriber.

Be aware of two things:

Pi 5 won't boot Bullseye.. (I haven't been able to get it to work, YMMV)
    Bookworm doesn't work with VNC...Yet (You can set it up, but you will never be able to connect.. Known issue...)

Other than that, the speed is amazing!

• I ordered mine with Parallax early Monday morning. When ordering they had, I think, 165 units, when I checked on Tuesday, they were on back order. Mine is on the USPS truck, I should be getting it sometime today.
    I also ordered the pre programmed SD card, I wonder if it has Bookworm on it.

Ray

• Noob here
    got mine today it does not finish boot with the sd card i received from parallax.
    It says Pi 5 support not on card. About to try setting os_check=0

I used Raspberry Pi Imager. to make an sd card. sometimes it boots to the desktop but mostly not.
    If it boots it crashes within a couple minutes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Kurt

• R BaggettR Baggett Posts: 124
    edited 2023-11-09 11:59

I don't know for sure that Pi 5 won't run Bullseye in all cases.. it just won't for me...
    Changing back and forth is super easy with 'Raspberry Pi Imager', which is easily found and downloaded in Windows or Ubuntu.
    When you select Operating system:

For Bookworm, just choose the top one..
    For Bullseye, choose Raspberry Pi OS (Other) from the first list, then you may choose the 64 bit Bookworm Bullseye version of your choice in the list that comes up then.

You don't need to worry about downloading an image or any of that stuff, 'Raspberry Pi Imager' will get it automatically.

Another advantage of 'Raspberry Pi Imager' is that you can easily set up Wifi right into the image (Even to a hidden network, which can be a real pain otherwise..) from the settings under the gear icon.

Once they fix VNC, (IF that is important to you) For all I know, it is already fixed.. Bookworm is the way to go..

• I got mine yesterday, yes, the sd card has to be updated, so it can handle the RPi 5.

My desk top setup is a Gigabyte Brix with 1.6Ghz processor, I plan to replace that with the RPi 5. Now I have to get the new case for the RPi 5, the clutter around my desktop is getting smaller.

I also installed xrdp to see if that is working for remote access, no problem works as expected. Since all of my monitors are vga/dvi, I can not test out the sound quality of the RPi 5. I guess I will have to use one of my TV sets, with a direct HDMI connection to check the sound quality.

Ray

• Doing some more testing, I keep getting a prompt about the power supply not able to supply 5A. Hmm, so I have to go some where else to get the latest case and power supply for the RPi 5?

Yes, this RPi 5 seems to be working faster and better than my Gigabyte Brix box. Now I have to find a monitor that has an HDMI socket so I can have some sound available. Any recommendations for a cheap and functional monitor.

After I get my basic setup of my desktop done, then I shall have to figure out where I am going to setup my new P2 stuff.

Ray

• pik33pik33 Posts: 2,350

I have a Pi5 bought locally (Parallax is way too far to buy Pi from). Very powerful small machine.

Wayland/Wayfire is still new thing and has its problems. One of workarounds is to install kde-plasma-desktop. Pi5 is fast enough to handle this.
    There is a tool available on github called pi-apps. It enables one-click wine+x64 emulator install. Then you can use Windows programs. However, I cannot assign a com port to the Propeller Tool running on RPi5/Wine. Tried symlink and regedit. Nothing works.
    Flexprop installed without any problems. However Flexprop can run even on Pi3.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,198
    edited 2023-11-20 17:29

@pik33 said:
    Wayland/Wayfire is still new thing and has its problems. One of workarounds is to install kde-plasma-desktop. Pi5 is fast enough to handle this.

KDE is via Xorg or Wayland?

However, I cannot assign a com port to the Propeller Tool running on RPi5/Wine. Tried symlink and regedit. Nothing works.

Pnut works fine on Wine. PropTool's comport opening code is broken on Wine. Always has been.

edited 2023-11-20 11:05

KDE works on both, you can choose a session. For normal use, Wayland works better. For retroemulation, better use X. You can then configure the resolution and refresh rate for a retro emulator. I don't know how to do it with Wayland.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,198
    edited 2023-11-21 13:11

Choose a session? - what, at login?

EDIT: Oops, it seems Proptool works with Wine now. I think I may have forgotten it getting fixed in recent times. All the more embarrassing because it was probably my badgering that got it fixed.

EDIT2: Oh, now I remember, debugging was still bugged - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1543879/#Comment_1543879
    I should check it again ... still bugged. First debug session is always fine. Cancelling it generates an error and thereafter can lock up, requiring killed before starting over.

Yes, at login, and the default session in KDE control panel.