Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless DMX — Parallax Forums

Wireless DMX

@JonnyMac

Hey Jon, just wondering if you have any experience with similar stuff and do you think that they could be used as a GP substitute for wired 485?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33001778662.html

Craig

Comments

• I don't know. I've only been involved in one wireless DMX project a costume piece from the TV show, Black Lightning. Rick Galinson and I rebuilt the belt buckle for Black Thunder (female character) and updated the backpack the held the control electronics (he did the mechanical stuff, I handled the electronics and programming).

In our case, the DMX receiver was also a PWM lighting controller for LED -- and we couldn't replace it. The P1 code in that project uses cog timers to determine the duty cycle of each output and that becomes a control value in the program (which animates APA106C smart pixels).

Everything worked great -- though the did report a problem: when too many walkie-talkies (ubiquitous in film and television crews) were keyed, things seemed to "glitch." We pointed out this had nothing to do with the P1 code and everything to do with RF interference.

How does this device deal with noisy RF environments?

• MicksterMickster Posts: 2,611
    edited 2023-10-19 18:48

@JonnyMac said:

How does this device deal with noisy RF environments?

All kinds of vendors on Aliexpress and all I have to go on are the reviews. A handful of reviewers seem to have conducted reasonable performance tests and their reports are positive. What got me looking is that I kinda want a robust RS485 physical link and I saw that DMX uses the 3-pin XLR....bit bulky but nice. Even the pre-fabbed DMX cables on Aliexpress state that they use the correct-impedance conductors for 485. Then I stumbled upon the wireless devices:

Input voltage: DC 5V 0.5A

Communication distance: 300M (visible distance)

Work frequency section: 2.4G ISM, 126 channels, frequency section

Max transmitting power rate: 20dBm

Receiver Sensitivity: -94dBm

CPU: 32-bit ARM Core

Modulation: GFSK

DMX Signal Interface:RS485

Operating temperature: -40 ~ 85 Celsius

Storage Temperature: -65 ~ 150 Celsius

Ambient Relative Humidity: 5 to 95% (non-condensing)

Automatic Reboot Trigger: Built-in WDT (watchdog timer)

Might just grab some to play with.

Craig