Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2-EC32MB Rev B with P2 Edge Module Breadboard Rev A? — Parallax Forums

P2-EC32MB Rev B with P2 Edge Module Breadboard Rev A?

Is the newer P2-EC32MB Rev Board compatible with the original P2 Edge Module Breadboard? I don't want to fry my new P2-EC32MB module if there is some incompatibility between them.

Comments

• Yes, they're all compatible. The newer edges also have some basic idiot-proofing wrt inserting the edge the wrong way.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,217
    edited 2023-09-07 23:57

Both EC32MB revisions are [up to] 16 Volt supply spec'd. Putting an old plain EC revA or revB into a custom carrier that was intended for, say, the EC revD would fry the regulator if the supply was 12 volts.

All the Parallax carriers are wired with 5 Volts in mind however. They route it directly to the accessory headers. So don't just plug in a 9 Volt power pack.

EDIT: added the [up to].

• Thanks for the advice. I did also buy a current P2 Edge Mini Breakout Board so I imagine that will also work with the P2-EC32MB. I'd like to try the A retromachine Basic interpreter if I can cobble together the required parts.

• pik33pik33 Posts: 2,352
    edited 2023-09-08 19:11

retromachine Basic interpreter

Any breakout board that has standard banks will do. The interpreter is compiled for HDMI at P0, AV at P8 (to connect audio on 14,15) and USB at P16 (upper port active, connect it to the to hub to have a keyboard and a mouse)

` [up to] 16 Volt supply spec'd

Use standard 5V. The Edge can bear 16V. The accessories and a hardware connected to it cannot.

@pik33 said:

` [up to] 16 Volt supply spec'd

Use standard 5V. The Edge can bear 16V. The accessories and a hardware connected to it cannot.

Most add-ons don't use the 5 Volts. I've already assembled a tangle of wires attached to an edge socket that separates the 5 volts from the EC supply. I didn't purchased any Parallax carrier just because of their 5 Volt limitation. One day I might get my own PCB made.

• @evanh said:
    Most add-ons don't use the 5 Volts. I've already assembled a tangle of wires attached to an edge socket that separates the 5 volts from the EC supply. I didn't purchased any Parallax carrier just because of their 5 Volt limitation. One day I might get my own PCB made.

This newer breakout could be the answer : https://www.parallax.com/product/p2-edge-breakout-board/
    Allows very flexible configuration of the VIN and Accessory power, either together or separately.

Hey, that's cheaper than the Mini Breakout. Yep, it's suitable.

I didn't even know there was two of that style. I presume it wasn't around when the EC32MB was first launched.

• @evanh said:
    Hey, that's cheaper than the Mini Breakout. Yep, it's suitable.

I didn't even know there was two of that style. I presume it wasn't around when the EC32MB was first launched.

I bought the mini breakout and it seems to work well with a 5V supply. I haven't tried my P2 breadboard yet.

Does Parallax have a plan for a Flip-like module for the P2 or even a P2 Activity Board?

• @"David Betz" said:
    Does Parallax have a plan for a Flip-like module for the P2 or even a P2 Activity Board?

FLiP2 was prototyped, but deemed too wide to be useful in most breadboards (ie. it would take pretty much the entire breadboard).
    Then we got to thinking about a vertical FLiP, which led to the Edge Module. But to get all the IO pins broken out (whilst keeping the module width sane) it needed a smaller pitch connector, which led to what we have now. So I don't think the FLiP2 would be manufactured- at least not unless it made sense for a volume application.

P2 Activity Board- something like that keeps being contemplated, but I think it's ultimately going to need to be market driven. For now such a thing might be best achieved with the #64020 JonnyMac breadboard + the Edge module of your choice. Plus an accessory set as required.

For me (just because I rarely have an unencumbered 64020 handy), I tend to use the new P2 Breakout that was linked couple posts above. It's compact and ideal to take any of the P2 accessories. And for breadboard use I stand the breakout next to a breadboard and use M-F jumper wires. That's about the simplest path I think for rapid development, at the moment.

edited 2023-09-11 00:17

Could be revisited with the 52-pin 4-cog 8-cog Prop2's :) - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/164364/prop2-family/p1

Actually, I remember Chip saying some time later he thought the 28-pin SOIC package could fit 4 cogs. That'll probably be because the smartpins take up a lot of room in the bigger pin count versions. And the hubRAM of course.

On that note, I reckon three models would cover the gambit:

• The existing 8-cog, 64-I/O, 512 kB in QFP100
    • An 8-cog, 32-I/O, 128 kB in QFP52
    • A 4-cog, 16-I/O, 32 kB in SOIC28

Though, that would all be revised if a smaller node of fabrication were to be used.