Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
This P2 rode the lightning and lost. — Parallax Forums

This P2 rode the lightning and lost.

So, we had unusually energetic lightning today in Mount Juliet. Lightning is just a part of living in the south, but the storm today was unusual. We had an apartment complex catch fire, so I am lucky that this is all that happened to me. I lost my P2 based light controller, approximately 1000 permanently mounted pixels on my house, 8 outdoor DMX floodlights, a few ports on my main switch and a remote 8 port switch in my garage.

Poked holes in the P2

Smoked the protections on the ethernet port.

And vaporized the traces for DMX512.

Last week I lost two switches, an AirTV, and a power supply for the light controller due to lightning. When I had concrete poured a few weeks ago, the ground for the cable modem apparently was removed. This is the only thing I can find that had changed with my setup.

I am adding fiber for long runs to help with the situation as well.

I think I may try to replace this P2 on the Edge board. Might be interesting to see if I can get it hot enough to lift it off the board.

Comments

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,945
    edited 2023-08-13 04:10

I spent about 17 years in the golf industry and have seen lots of lightning strike damage with electronic controllers. I'm glad it was just electronics bits, and not your home that was damaged.

• Used to do TV repair years ago when it was worth doing. Saw some pretty impressive lightning damage come through the door, 10x on Jons comment regarding getting out of it with house undamaged. You aren't kidding about lightning down southeast. One of the things I miss about Florida. Hell of a show when lightning rolls through there.

• @"frank freedman" said:
    One of the things I miss about Florida. Hell of a show when lightning rolls through there.

:+1: Totally with you

Craig

• @ke4pjw
    Just had a minute silence for the P2 :|

Always amazed me that; with all the sophisticated power conditioning, manufacturing plants can still get seriously zapped. One of reasons why I'm done with PC-based control systems...those backup/restores never go as they should.

Craig