Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Does the HoverflyOpen flight controller board come with auto leveling? — Parallax Forums

Does the HoverflyOpen flight controller board come with auto leveling?

chrimollchrimoll Posts: 2
edited 2014-02-24 16:28 in General Discussion
Hi,

I am building the Parallax ELEV-8 quadcopter kit. I would like to know if the HoverflyOpen board has auto leveling already programed on to the board or if I have to buy additional products to have auto leveling for the flight of the quad. When I say "auto leveling" I mean to have the quad level out if I let go of the control sticks on the transmitter. I would also like to know if I can add a GPS module to the HoverFlyOpen board, or if I need a different flight control board to do this.

Thanks very much!

Chris

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-02-24 14:58
    There are a lot of "it depends" type of answers to your questions. Short answer is no, the Hoverfly Open does not come with auto leveling. I think you need a more expensive Hoverfly board for that.

It is possible to add an accelerometer to the Hoverfly Open board but then you need to load your own firmware to use use it.

The same goes for GPS. It should be possible to add it if you add the right programming but if you want to use Hoverfly software, you need a different board.

Post #10 of my index (see signature) has a list of ELEV-8 links. There should be a link to Jason Dorie's software to use with the Hoverfly Open. There isn't presently software to use with a GPS (that I know of) but I'm pretty sure there's software to add an accelerometer to the board.
  • chrimollchrimoll Posts: 2
    edited 2014-02-24 16:28
    Thanks very much for the rapid and comprehensive answer! My dad and I are building the ELEV-8 to learn as much as we can about how they operate, so we can build our own custom drone someday. I'm sure we will have many more questions and we will be sure to look at the ELEV-8 links.

Thanks again,

Chris
  • I have constructed an ELEV-8 kit that contains the HoverflyOPEN control board. However, the link (www.hoverflytech.com/Software Updates.html) does not offer any support for this control board. Does anyone have the firmware for this control board on their PC? Without this firmware, I cannot set the "X" configuration my ELEV-8.

• rosco_pcrosco_pc Posts: 451
    edited 2022-12-14 08:30

have you tried the link in here (https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/163507/elev-8-hoverflyopen) : http://www.hoverflyupdate.com/updateClient/publish.htm (it at least still opens and allows the update tool to be installed. not sure of it will download anything after that)

PS: searching for hoverfly on the old site (https://www1.parallax.com/downloads) only shows up userguide and schematics

• To: rosco_pc
    Thank you for providing the Hoverfly Open link. It prevented me from having to junk the kit. I was able install the update tool.