Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is there anybody here in the forum with a basic idea to waste time? — Parallax Forums

Is there anybody here in the forum with a basic idea to waste time?

As a physicist I learned that everything is relative. As an experienced physicist I spent a lot of time to waste my time, but now I'm running out of this resource. But if I can successfully start a project that keeps all other people busy and running rounds their time will actually stall and my residual time will be relatively long and maybe used to solve actual problems.

So if anybody here can make an adequate proposal how to bring the forum to run in circles I'll be happy to sponsor everything needed to start this project and keep it running!

And: Please Chip! Do continue with your sensational and reasonable original work! Please!

Comments

• The industry-proven way to waste vast amounts of software developer time is to constantly pull the rug out from under them. A rugged treadmill, if you will. Just randomly change APIs everyone uses for no reason. Change the supported operating systems of a tool for no reason. Auto-delete anything that is old and "unsafe" (read: not updated in a few months). If you keep doing that, an exponentially growing amount of time will be wasted solving made up problems.

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742

you nailed it!

• RossHRossH Posts: 5,346

Let's start designing the Propeller 3!

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,188

LOL

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133

@RossH said:

I am waiting for the Process Design Kit for Tower Semiconductor's 65nm process.

• RossHRossH Posts: 5,346

@cgracey said:

@RossH said:

Don't confuse me with details. Just promise me it will run Windows 13 :)

• YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2022-08-29 05:19

@cgracey said:

@RossH said:

Then I'll need to increase my savings, to hoard coffee powder and orange juice... :lol:

• GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,742
    edited 2022-08-29 16:37

ErNa,

Making old programs and hardware work in Windows 1x should keep you busy for decades.

I have a perfectly functional Microchip ICD 2 that doesn't support 64-bit Windows and the last 32-bit OS was Windows 7 Starter Edition.

Thank god we can use the Propeller to get some things off the Microsoft treadmill.

• @Genetix said:
    I have a perfectly functional Microchip ICD 2 that doesn't support 64-bit Windows and the last 32-bit OS was Windows 7 Starter Edition.

You can get Win10 32bit, I think. Very sure you can get non-gimped Win7 (i.e. Ultimate) as 32 bit, too. No dice on Win11 though.

• ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,621
    edited 2022-08-29 19:42

@Genetix said:
    Thank god we can use the Propeller to get some things off the Microsoft treadmill.

Linux is a much better way to escape MS than the Propeller. It now has several very mature desktop environments. I and many others find its command-line environment to be the ultimate IDE.

OTOH, doing mere desktop stuff on a P2 is an abuse of and an insult against the P2's real power.

• @Wuerfel_21 said:

@Genetix said:

You can get Win10 32bit, I think. Very sure you can get non-gimped Win7 (i.e. Ultimate) as 32 bit, too. No dice on Win11 though.

Windows 7 Ultimate 32/64-bit versions still runs fine on "older" platforms, even when total system memory is as low as 2GB.

As for Windows 10, just check if your targetted system can be qualified for either 32 or 64-bit versions, and proceed accordingly to the chosen setup during the installation process.

https://microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications