Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$108 Mecanum Chassis — Parallax Forums

$108 Mecanum Chassis

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
edited 2022-05-20 17:21 in Robotics

Seems like a decent deal just for the wheels, motors, metal chassis and sensors. Nice looking IMO, almost Parallax Stingray-ish. No processor included. Mecanum wheels are pricey! Typical cheesy plastic gearmotors, likely 48:1, would prefer 120:1 or higher. https://www.amazon.com/Makeblock-Compatible-Programming-Electronics-Educational/dp/B092VTYRPZ

Comments

• @erco said:
    Nice looking IMO, almost Parallax Stingray-ish.

I agree, it does look nice.

Mecanum wheels are pricey!

They can be but I think those are relatively cheap ones which come with a lot of inexpensive Mecanum wheeled toys. The nice Vex wheels you told me about are pricey but I think they're worth the price.

Typical cheesy plastic gearmotors

I think the motors are the weakest link in the robot.

I personally think Mecanum wheeled robots greatly benefit from quadrature encoders on each motor. I know my Rover 5 based Mecanum robot behaved much much better once I added encoder feedback to the control algorithm.

While I wouldn't recommend the robot, I don't think they're ripping people off

In case anyone reading isn't ware of how Mecanum wheels work, here's an old video of my robot in action. The robot doesn't start to move until two minutes in.

Back in 2013 my hair was still red and not grey. I might need to change my avatar to the Snow Miser.

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244

@"Duane Degn" said:

Back in 2013 my hair was still red and not grey. I might need to change my avatar to the Snow Miser.

I thought orange was the new black. But grey is the new red? I been lied to!!! JK, we all have more salt than pepper these days.

Still a great mecanum demo, Duane!

• Wait: you guys still have hair? Show-offs… 🤣