Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Terminal routine or debug — Parallax Forums

Terminal routine or debug

I'm new to the prop1 & 2 after a two or three years of not using the P1. The P2 is amazing but I need to know if I should use the terminal program or debug statement. In the end I want to track variables and thing while a program runs. The terminal library would do what I need. What I can't find is the instructions on how to use the terminal objects so I need to find that if I were to use it.

Frank Pittel

Comments

• @4x5n said:
    I'm new to the prop1 & 2 after a two or three years of not using the P1. The P2 is amazing but I need to know if I should use the terminal program or debug statement. In the end I want to track variables and thing while a program runs. The terminal library would do what I need. What I can't find is the instructions on how to use the terminal objects so I need to find that if I were to use it.

Frank Pittel

Welcome to the wonderful world of the P2.

Usage of either terminal programs or the debug commands are useful, it all depends on the situation and the P2 programming tools you want to use.

The debug statements are very powerful (PropTool and PNut), especially if you are debugging PASM variables/programs.
    In addition to the simple textual output debug statements that will allow you to track variables, there are the graphical ones that allow you to do some great data presentations. See the Spin2 Documentation and other P2 information here for more details about the various debug modes/commands. A number of examples in the QuickByte section (see link in the documentation section) shows debug usage.

As for terminal usage, I've attached one of JonnyMac's latest libraries for serial terminal usage.

I'm sure others will post useful tips/pointers too...