Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forums database upgrade — Parallax Forums

Forums database upgrade

Newer versions of the Forums require a more recent version of the database to be in place before we can upgrade the software. I am preparing a database migration to resolve the issue and allow us to move forward.

This will require a 20-30 minute maintenance window where the forums will be unavailable. That could happen as soon as this evening after 10:00 PM PST if everything goes well in the preparation. I will post an hour before we go into the maintenance window to give everyone time to complete their posts.

Comments

• Update:

We will have a maintenance break starting at 10:00 PM PST to migrate the database. The site should be back by 10:30.

• The database migration was completed at 10:15PM. The ensuing 2+ hours was spent trying to get the site out of the maintenance mode.

Thank you for you patience.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066

So far, all good - fingers crossed ;)

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191

Thanks, Jim!

• This discussion thread is stuck at being unread. It says 6 new posts no matter what I do.

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/173916/p1-to-p2-conversion-question-solved#latest

• @whicker said:
    This discussion thread is stuck at being unread. It says 6 new posts no matter what I do.

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/173916/p1-to-p2-conversion-question-solved#latest

Please do not hijack threads. If you've got a problem with a stuck thread, then please open a new thread here and describe what you're seeing in it.

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2021-10-20 13:43

@"Buck Rogers" said:

@whicker said:
    This discussion thread is stuck at being unread. It says 6 new posts no matter what I do.

Please do not hijack threads. If you've got a problem with a stuck thread, then please open a new thread here and describe what you're seeing in it.

I think @whicker was referring to the data base upgrade did not go well or missed a thread. I think it is relevant to this thread.

• Yes that was my point. I think the database got upgraded during posts in that thread and out of sync in some way.

• @whicker said:

You where logged in when you checked the thread? I show no unread on my end. Interesting.

• The database upgrade was performed while the Forums were in maintenance mode. This eliminates the possibility of any new posts getting lost in the process. The "upgrade" is actually referring to the the backend database software. The Forums were using an older MySQL v5.6 instance. We replaced that with a current release of MariaDb instance.

The actual database data was exported in a single transaction from the old database and then imported into the new database, again as a single transaction. I don't see where it is possible to loose a singe post or thread using this procedure.

So, about that "stuck" thread. Please do open a separate thread for that concern. There, we can talk about how the Forums uses cookies to keep track of such things and how this may be the root cause to the issue.

edited 2021-11-20 07:50

:(
    When posting code/text, the forum is now using variable spacing text instead of monospaced font so the characters no longer line up. Also I noted that markup is being interpreted inside the backticks - I had lines of "-" characters and they put the next? line in bold so I had to remove them.
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1531547/#Comment_1531547

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,273
    edited 2021-11-20 08:26

@Cluso99 said:
    :(
    When posting code/text, the forum is now using variable spacing text instead of monospaced font so the characters no longer line up. Also I noted that markup is being interpreted inside the backticks - I had lines of "-" characters and they put the next? line in bold so I had to remove them.
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1531547/#Comment_1531547

Check your post again Ray.

Somehow the backticks were not recognised. After replacing them, all seems well?
    Maybe an encoding issue, like the wrong unicode version of backticks. Maybe not that, just compared old and new. Both 0x60.

Thank you.
    I note it’s still interpreting dashes and changing to italics in the code.

• That's a different thing related to code highlighting. That could be improved at some point.

edited 2021-11-20 09:11

After the big update (year or so ago) any text within the code tags ignored markup code. This has happened since then.

• Editor in "Leave a Comment" box freezes after a short time and never recovers. Started happening yesterday. I'm using Chromium on RPi 4.

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2021-11-22 00:25

When I click "Mark all viewed", I get a message that "Something has gone wrong," and the unviewed threads are still flagged as having new material.

-Phil

Addendum: After a third attempt, it worked.

Today experienced the same old hang for minutes when typing a post :(

• Hello everyone,

This thread was about the database upgrade. It seems to have been hijacked in a number of directions that are all unrelated to the database upgrade.

If you are having difficulty with something on the site, please open a new thread for that issue. Be sure to include details on how to repeat the issue, if possible. You can also open the browser console (developer tools) in most browsers and copy any errors you find there.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126

Slowdowns always happen when I enable scripting here. My solution is still to leave scripting disabled in the browser until I have to enable it for something pathetic.

Then I quit the browser to clear everything - defaults back to scripting disabled, cookies cleared and site history erased. Smooth browsing returns after that.

• The forums keeps telling me I have a new message, even though I have looked at that message several times.

• @ JonnyMac said

The forums keeps telling me I have a new message, even though I have looked at that message several times.

If you mean the little envelope at the top of the board with a little orange '1' above- I have had that for ages and can't get rid of it- all messages have been read.

Dave

This discussion has been closed.