Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
where does the DAC data come from? — Parallax Forums

where does the DAC data come from?

ManAtWorkManAtWork Posts: 2,078
edited 2021-10-29 13:29 in Propeller 2

I'm struggeling with the documentation, again. There is this block schematic:

But I can't really find out how the "DAC bus select" works. From reading the silicon doc and examining several software examples, I think I've found out at least some hints:

• There are smart pin DAC modes and non-smart DAC modes
  • For smart pin modes the DAC value (16 bits) is determined by the Y register of the smart pin
  • for non-smart modes the DAC value (8 bits) is given in the M[7..0] bits of the pin mode if the TT bits are zero
  • if TT == P_CHANNEL (%01) then M[3..0] selects the number of the cog or streamer as source

Are the above assumtions correct? And what is BITDAC?

Comments

• Next question:

For my QPSK project I need some sort of analogue bus where a sender and a receiver is connected to the same line. When the sender is inactive the DACs remain active to make a resistive termination but they should output a fixed center voltage level ($80) so that no power is wasted and no DC voltage is on the bus.

What happens if the streamer is stopped at the end of a transmission? Does the last DAC output value remain active or is it set to zero? Do I have to change the pin mode (M=10111_10000000, T=00 and S=00000) to output the idle/center level?

I know, I could simply try it out. But I think I'm not the only one who thinks the documentation needs to be improved. Interesting things are possible if we fully understand the features of the smart pin logic (see SAR ADC thread). So I'd really like to understand all of it instead of randomly trying out.

• AribaAriba Posts: 2,682

@ManAtWork said:
    But I can't really find out how the "DAC bus select" works. From reading the silicon doc and examining several software examples, I think I've found out at least some hints:

• There are smart pin DAC modes and non-smart DAC modes
    • For smart pin modes the DAC value (16 bits) is determined by the Y register of the smart pin
    • for non-smart modes the DAC value (8 bits) is given in the M[7..0] bits of the pin mode if the TT bits are zero
    • if TT == P_CHANNEL (%01) then M[3..0] selects the number of the cog or streamer as source

Are the above assumtions correct? And what is BITDAC?

The DAC data can also come from the Streamer or the SETDACS instruction.

BITDAC alows to define two DAC levels for Low and High output. So you can for example drive 1.8 V or 2.5V logic levels.

• Ah, thanks, this is exactly what I've been looking for!
    (from the "DACs" section in the "COGS" chapter...)

The background state of these four 8-bit channels can be established by SETDACS:

SETDACS D/# - Write bytes 3/2/1/0 of D/# to DAC3/DAC2/DAC1/DAC0

The DAC values established by SETDACS will be constantly output, except at times when the streamer and/or colorspace converter
    override them.

So it wasn't the problem that it's not described in the docs. I just haven't found it because everything is magically connected to each other inside the P2. This is technically ingenious but makes it difficult to document everything you need for a certain topic in just one place. Instead, all the information is scattered over the whole document. You need to read it all or make clever use of the search function.

BITDAC alows to define two DAC levels for Low and High output. So you can for example drive 1.8 V or 2.5V logic levels.

This is also an interesting feature. But it's very difficult to guess it's purpose and how it works if you don't already know it.

• @ManAtWork said:
    What happens if the streamer is stopped at the end of a transmission? Does the last DAC output value remain active or is it set to zero? Do I have to change the pin mode (M=10111_10000000, T=00 and S=00000) to output the idle/center level?

Streamer always stays on the last value if it runs out (either by buffer underrun or by issuing an immediate command that doesn't contain enough data to fill the length of the command)

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,192

That diagram needs the 8-bit DAC bus extended down to the comparator too. I do have an ASCII art with that arrangement but at the time I was still half thinking the flash-DAC had an analogue path to the comparator, which it doesn't. Each comparator has its very own dedicated DAC.

edited 2021-10-30 00:58

In hindsight, probably the main reason I stumbled on this part was there wasn't any indication of being able to use the comparator's DAC beyond a single mode. I now understand the reason is that the 32 bits in WRPIN's mode word isn't enough bits to fully utilise what's possible with the M field. So there is quite a number of removed combinations. The %TT field in particular needs more bits to allow the selecting of data paths without being dependant on the %SSSSS smartpin mode number.

edited 2021-10-30 01:17

Oh, and the field naming has changed too. M field is now S field. P field is now M field. Job for Rayman.

• @Wuerfel_21 said:
    Streamer always stays on the last value if it runs out (either by buffer underrun or by issuing an immediate command that doesn't contain enough data to fill the length of the command)

Ok, I can confirm that it works as expected. I can set the background or idle level with the SETDACS command. The DACs output this value whenever the streamer is not active, i.e. before it was started first and after being stopped with XSTOP. I haven't tested what happens when a run out occurs.

• pik33pik33 Posts: 2,350
    edited 2021-11-03 09:23

I tried to find anything about BITDAC and found only this:

'BIT_DAC' outputs {2{M[7:4]}} for 'high' or {2{M[3:0]}} for 'low' in DAC_MODE

which I don't understand. What this {2{ means?

Edit: and how to set it up? Simply WRPIN?

• @pik33 said:

I tried to find anything about BITDAC and found only this:

'BIT_DAC' outputs {2{M[7:4]}} for 'high' or {2{M[3:0]}} for 'low' in DAC_MODE

which I don't understand. What this {2{ means?

In DAC_MODE, BIT_DAC outputs same 4-bit value in high and low nibbles, i.e. {M[7:4],M[7:4]} for 'high' or {M[3:0],M[3:0]} for 'low'.

The text in the silicon doc just below that line is more useful:

for smart pin mode off (%%SSSSS = %00000):

DIR enables output

for non-DAC_MODE:
                0x = OUT drives output
                1x = OTHER drives output

for DAC_MODE:
                00 = OUT enables ADC, M[7:0] sets DAC level
                01 = OUT enables ADC, M[3:0] selects cog DAC channel  (COG_DAC mode)
                10 = OUT drives BIT_DAC
                11 = OTHER drives BIT_DAC

for all smart pin modes (%SSSSS > %00000):
            x0 = output disabled, regardless of DIR
            x1 = output enabled, regardless of DIR

for DAC smart pin modes (%SSSSS = %00001..%00011):
            0x = OUT enables ADC in DAC_MODE, M[7:0] overriden
            1x = OTHER enables ADC in DAC_MODE, M[7:0] overriden

for non-DAC smart pin modes (%SSSSS = %00100..%11111):
            0x = SMART/OUT drives output or BIT_DAC if DAC_MODE
            1x = SMART/OTHER drives output or BIT_DAC if DAC_MODE

Oh, yeah, as Tony describes, that's the basic 4-bit to 8-bit depth up-scaling. I must admit it's not easy to read. Tony's arrangement of doubling is easier.

And, yes, setup is done in M field of WRPIN with the above requirements. Which depends on whether you're using the smartpin or not.

edited 2021-11-03 10:40

Lol, I just realised what the problem with the new fields naming of WRPIN is. It used to be:
    %AAAA_BBBB_FFF_PPPPPPPPPPPPP_TT_MMMMM_0
    But is now:
    %AAAA_BBBB_FFF_MMMMMMMMMMMMM_TT_SSSSS_0

The change was partly to align with the design schematics, which had used M for its low-level pin modes. But also to avoid any confusion with P also being used for I/O pin reference.

Problem now is instructions use S name for the "source" operand.