Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
building flexprop — Parallax Forums

building flexprop

I've been away from P1 and P2 programming for a while so I decided to update my flexprop repository and try building it for the Mac but I'm not sure how to do that. If I just type 'make' I get a usage message saying I should do 'make install'. What if I just want to build without doing an installation?

Comments

• I decided to just try 'make install' since it installs to a local directory but then I ran into this problem:
    `cc -o flexprop.bin src/flexprop_native.c -I/usr/local/opt/tcl-tk/include -L/usr/local/opt/tcl-tk/lib -ltk8.6 -ltcl8.6 -lz -lpthread -lm
    In file included from src/flexprop_native.c:23:
    /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/tk.h:86:11: fatal error: 'X11/Xlib.h' file not found

include <X11/Xlib.h>

^~~~~~~~~~~~

1 error generated.
    `
    Is there a way to just build the command line tools? Surely they don't require X11.

• @"David Betz" said:
    Is there a way to just build the command line tools? Surely they don't require X11.

Yes, clone the spin2cpp repo and run make there. The tools (spin2cpp,flexspin,flexcc) will appear in the build directory

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2021-11-03 00:42

Thanks! That worked. I used to do it that way. I'm not sure why I switched to the flex prop repository. Anyway, the Mac build generated the following warnings.

gcc -MMD -MP -g -Og -Wall -fwrapv -I. -I./backends -I./frontends -I./build -DFLEXSPIN_BUILD -o build/common.o -c frontends/common.c
    frontends/common.c:711:24: warning: format string is not a string literal (potentially insecure) [-Wformat-security]
            fprintf(stderr,colorANSI[color]);
                           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    frontends/common.c:711:24: note: treat the string as an argument to avoid this
            fprintf(stderr,colorANSI[color]);
                           ^
                           "%s", 
    1 warning generated.

gcc -MMD -MP -g -Og -Wall -fwrapv -I. -I./backends -I./frontends -I./build -DFLEXSPIN_BUILD -o build/outbc.o -c backends/bytecode/outbc.c
    backends/bytecode/outbc.c:2575:43: warning: taking the absolute value of unsigned type 'uint32_t' (aka 'unsigned int') has no effect
          [-Wabsolute-value]
                bool haveStep = !stepConst || abs(stepConstVal) != 1;
                                              ^
    backends/bytecode/outbc.c:2575:43: note: remove the call to 'abs' since unsigned values cannot be negative
                bool haveStep = !stepConst || abs(stepConstVal) != 1;
                                              ^~~
    1 warning generated.

gcc -MMD -MP -g -Og -Wall -fwrapv -I. -I./backends -I./frontends -I./build -DFLEXSPIN_BUILD -o build/bc_spin1.o -c backends/bytecode/bc_spin1.c
    backends/bytecode/bc_spin1.c:13:32: warning: unknown warning group '-Wmisleading-indentation', ignored [-Wunknown-warning-option]
    #pragma GCC diagnostic ignored "-Wmisleading-indentation" // GCC is very smart
                                   ^
    1 warning generated.