Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to convert Google Doc to PDF? — Parallax Forums

How to convert Google Doc to PDF?

ManAtWorkManAtWork Posts: 2,049
edited 2020-07-15 07:13 in Propeller 2
Does anybody know how the Google docs from the P2 developper site can be converted to a PDF which includes bookmarks? Of course, we can print it online which generates a PDF file or download it as PDF. But this discards the "table of contents" (TOC) list on the left side and makes a quick jump to individual chapters difficult. I even tried to export the doc as ODF because Open Office has a PDF export function including bookmarks (Word doesn't). But the links of the TOC are also discarded when the doc is converted to ODF format.

I'd really like to have an offline version of the documents on my PC) desktop because I have to look up many details about instructions, smarpins etc. quite often and my internet connection is quite slow. I fear I have to do it the old fashioned way: Print it on physical paper, bind it and add yellow stickers as tabs to each chapter...

EDIT: I was wrong, Word also has an option to export to PDF with bookmarks. It just was so well hidden I haven't noticed. See Bobs post below.

Comments

• Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2020-07-14 20:30
    Does anybody know how the Google docs from the P2 developper site can be converted to a PDF which includes bookmarks?

If you have MS Word you can export as a Word Doc .

Then follow this:

How to Retain Bookmarks When You Convert From Word to PDF

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/retain-bookmarks-convert-word-pdf-54126.html

It's work a shot but I don't have Word to try it for you .

Bob
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2020-07-14 23:50
    If you use the "Make a Copy" option on the File menu, then you can insert a table of contents into the copy (Insert menu -> Table of Contents -> with page numbers). Now when you download as a PDF, then the table of contents will function. You will be able to click the entries in the table of contents to navigate to that page in the PDF.
    I inserted the Table of Contents at the top of the second page (before the Design Status title.
  • Thanks, Bob, that worked well. I have a copy of the latest Word but I don't use it regularly. For writing my own documents I use old Word 97 or Open office because I'm used to it. The new Word is terrible. There are so many options hidden in sub-dialogs of sub-menus I have to google each time I want to do something. I even haven't found the "About" dialog to lookup the version number. :blush:

And thanks, Roy. That's also a good idea but I prefer bookmarks over TOC links because I can keep the bookmark tab open all the time so I have a good overview. Bookmarks of sub-chapters can also be collapsed and expanded.
  • The latest Spind2 Documentation seems to be broken somehow. There is a header on each page that startes with "ith 1..8 channels, can trigger on level with hysteresis", a block of code and an animated GIF. This seems to confuse the DOCX export also and prevents it from generating a proper TOC.