Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Markdown question — Parallax Forums

Markdown question

Hello!
In a response to the thread which asks us if we recognize a photo of something and we need to respond what it is, without the help of Google, I chose to enclose a word using a pair of these things * * ,and found that the word was in italics, the same it seems as if enclosing a different word in two underscores.

Did we finally realize which definition of Markdown to use? Or not?

Comments

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,459
    edited 2021-10-22 16:37

*word* and _word_ both being italics is just normal markdown (some implementations will translate one of them to <i> and the other to <em>. The forum is not one of them, it seems to use em for both).

**word** and __word__ are both bold (with a similar thing where some implementations use <b> vs. <strong>).

~~word~~ is strikethrough.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,187

I think that's finally making sense to me. I've been a tad questioning what is "markdown"? ... eg: I've recently been using the superscript <sup> tag for displaying binary powers, and the like, in forum posts. My HTML knowledge is very limited so I'd found the trick using a google search but wasn't sure why it was working.

So markdown is a shorthand translation for a collection of HTML markup tags. Tags that can just be entered directly without using the markdown tricks.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,187

Although the back-tick for code quoting is something more complex maybe? I haven't tried to figure that one out. The single and triple variants do a good job already.