Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DAC and ADC on the same pin — Parallax Forums

DAC and ADC on the same pin

The goal here is to use the DAC to calibrate the ADC. I was not successful. Tonight I was looking at the documentation and may have figured out why.

M=%00000, T=%0x, OUT high will enable the ADC, but the only way to get an ADC reading would be Goertzel.

M=%00011, OUT high will enable ADC and give a sinc1 measurement over a period that matches the DAC output period.

What I tried to do:
_dirl( io_pin )
wrpin( io_pin, p_dac_124r_3v | p_tt_00 | $00<<8 | p_adc )
wxpin( io_pin, 13 ) ' SINC2 sample mode, 8192 clocks
_dirh( io_pin )
pinhigh( io_pin )

The ADC result comes back as 0, suggesting that it didn't really turn on. Even if the DAC is outputting 0, the ADC count should be more than 0 because of its beyond the rails measurement capability.

So it seems like it's not possible to enable the DAC while the smart pin is operating the ADC in sinc2, sinc3, or scope mode. Is this correct?

I didn't have any luck with bit dac mode either.

Comments

• roglohrogloh Posts: 5,171
    edited 2021-10-13 07:46

Because I can't remember my precedence rules I never trust myself with things like:

x | 0 << 8 | y

so maybe try this instead..?

p_tt_00 | (0 << 8) | p_adc

EDIT: never mind, just looked it up, I think the shift left has higher precedence than bitwise OR so this should be okay.

By the way, at one point IIRC there was a discrepancy between FastSpin (now flexspin) and PropTool/PNut precedence. I think at the time I mentioned it to Eric so it should have been resolved by now.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,903
    edited 2021-10-13 14:22

You can do this by using a nearby pin to look at the digital ADC values from the pin with the DAC&ADC using the -3..+3 pin offsets of the smartpins...

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,192
    edited 2021-10-13 16:19

Because the smartpin is in operation (for ADC bitstream capture), it means that DIR is used for the smartpin rather than enabling the DAC. So replace the p_tt_00 with P_OE

PS: And this would be a great situation to use the SETDACS instruction too. Err, can't be done. %TT is way overloaded. :(
    EDIT2: Yeah, %TT being limited to two bits definitely nerfs the possible combinations of what can be used together via the existing P field.

If you're wanting to do anything more than preset the DAC level then Rayman's solution is the more flexible.

_

• AribaAriba Posts: 2,682

@SaucySoliton said:
    So it seems like it's not possible to enable the DAC while the smart pin is operating the ADC in sinc2, sinc3, or scope mode. Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct, unfortunately. I asked Chip about it once in a live forum, he confirmed it and said there was a reason, but couldn't remember which one.

@Ariba said:

@SaucySoliton said:

Yes, that is correct, unfortunately. I asked Chip about it once in a live forum, he confirmed it and said there was a reason, but couldn't remember which one.

That doesn't sound right. If it's true then the docs need some corrections. They've clearly stated all along that OUT high will enable the ADC when in a DAC mode.

• AribaAriba Posts: 2,682

You can enable the ADC, but you can't use the SINC2 and SINC3 smartpin mode for conversion, you only get the ADC sigma-delta bitstream.

That doesn't make any more sense at all. The smartpin mode is what set, in this case P_ADC (M=%11000). It will count whatever is coming in from the pin.

edited 2021-10-14 19:21

Worked out why ... It's another limitation of having only the two %TT bits. When in a non-DAC smartpin mode, but using a DAC pin mode, then OUT is used for BITDAC rather than ADC enable. So, ADC modulator won't engage, no bitstream.

edited 2021-10-14 19:36

Rayman's solution should be fine. The DAC/ADC pin won't have its smartpin operating then ... Or it will be used for dithering the DAC.

EDIT: There's a typo, repeated too, in the silicon docs regarding the %TT bits. Where it says "OUT enables DAC in DAC_MODE" it should say "OUT enables ADC in DAC_MODE" Err, fixed in the online edition already.

• @Ariba said:

@SaucySoliton said:

Thanks. I don't think it was December 22. I watched that one recently and I think it would have perked my ears up.

I got it to work in mode 3, DAC PWM dither.
    M=%00011, OUT high will enable ADC and give a sinc1 measurement over a period that matches the DAC output period.

While it would be nice to use the same sampling mode for calibration, it is easy enough to scale the calibration measurement to be consistent with the sinc2 sampling mode I use for the actual data.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148

@SaucySoliton said:
    ** I got it to work in mode 3, DAC PWM dither. **

While it would be nice to use the same sampling mode for calibration, it is easy enough to scale the calibration measurement to be consistent with the sinc2 sampling mode I use for the actual data.

That's a useful mode, and being able to use the DAC to calibrate the ADC allows for better useful ADC precisions.
    It will be mainly catching the mid-point offset and the ADC resistor-ratio changes, so those will not vary with filter settings.

It does require that your external circuit can tolerate DAC drive to the ADC-IN pin, but that could be allowed for by design.

James,
    I presume you've got two smartpins running. The DAC's one for dithering the DAC. And a nearby one, with input redirection, for the ADC bitstream capture.

Mode words, respectively, would be something like:
    P_DAC_124R_3V | P_OE | P_DAC_DITHER_PWM
    P_MINUS1_A | P_ADC

edited 2021-10-15 08:35

For a quick test I did this and it worked fine: (debug() can replace send())

waitms( 200 )           ' pause for terminal startup
        send := @putch          ' assign emit function for send()

io_pin := 24
        wrpin( io_pin, P_DAC_990R_3V | ($50<<8) )
        pinhigh( io_pin )
        pinstart( io_pin+1, P_MINUS1_A | P_ADC, 13, 0 )

repeat
            send( "  ",hex(rdpin(io_pin+1)) )
            waitms( 200 )

Produces a numerical reading of around $1880

•    wrpin( io_pin, p_dac_124r_3v | p_dac_dither_pwm | p_oe )   
       wxpin( io_pin, 8192 )                      ' SINC1 sample mode, 8192 clocks 
       wypin( io_pin, $8000 )
       _dirh( io_pin )
       pinhigh( io_pin )  ' turn on ADC
       waitx( 8192 * 5 )
       measurement_vcc2  := rdpin(io_pin)*2 ' translate sinc1 to sinc2 levels

Single pin. The DAC pin modulation is not really desired here, but it shouldn't bother anything.

edited 2021-10-15 20:23
        measurement_vcc2  := rdpin(io_pin)*2 ' translate sinc1 to sinc2 levels

Ah, that will be reading the DAC dither Z value I think ... certainly not the ADC, that's for sure. Smile, I'm wrong. There's a whole new detail I've not seen before. From the docs:

If OUT is high, the ADC will be enabled and RDPIN/RQPIN can be used to retrieve the 16-bit ADC accumulation from the last sample period. This can be used to measure loading on the DAC pin.

So there's actually a Sinc1 filter in the DAC dither smartpin mode. It's doing two functions! I'll be damned.

James,
    You know Sinc2/Sinc3 is available to you with Rayman's solution, right?