Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Installing Propeller GCC in Linux — Parallax Forums

Installing Propeller GCC in Linux

I am running Pop OS current on laptop and Desktop. I want to use an independent IDE. I looked through some docs yet couldn't find how to setup the environment for Linux for code blocks or vscode. I am kinda a newbie with Linux, any help please.

Comments

• DavidZemonDavidZemon Posts: 2,973
    edited 2021-01-06 22:06
    Couple options:

1. Download latest build for your OS here: https://ci.zemon.name/project/PropGCC?mode=builds&guest=1
    GCC v4 is a bit more stable, gcc (that means GCC v6) has some nice improvements but I have found (many moons ago) a few subtle errors that I was never able to provide specific enough info on to get fixed. It works for ALMOST everything though.

2. Build from source with Docker. Instructions here: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/168418/building-propgcc-with-docker

If you're "kinda a newbie", then just ignore the above and download this file, extract it wherever you want. Existing tools (like PropWare and SimpleIDE) will check for it in /opt/parallax, but if you're writing your own build system scripts with Make or shell scripts, then you can put it wherever you want.
  • Thanks I used option 1 to download the executable. all I have to do is compile - link and load? using propgcc right? parallax/propeller-elf/bin/gcc?
  • i would assume that parallax/propeller-elf/bin/gcc is the same as parallax/bin/propeller-elf-gcc, but don't know for sure. what i do know is that SimpleIDE and PropWare both use propeller-elf-gcc.

As for the steps: yes. compile -> llink (optional, if you have static libraries that you need to include) -> load.
    The loading step will happen with one of a few different tools. propeller-load is shipped with the propgcc package, so that's what I'd recommend using for P1. I know there are other tools out there, but I've done absolutely no investigation whatsoever into what makes them different/better/worse.

You might consider using PropWare for your build system. I've certainly learned over the years that it's not for everyone (or even most people) but you seem to fit pretty well in its target audience. See my signature for a link.
  • You've posted this in the "Propeller 2" forum, but note that PropellerGCC is for the Propeller 1 only. Are you using P1, or do you want to do C development on the P2?
  • ersmith wrote: »
    You've posted this in the "Propeller 2" forum, but note that PropellerGCC is for the Propeller 1 only. Are you using P1, or do you want to do C development on the P2?

good question.. I am using the activity bot 360. Do you know which chip is used for activity board WX?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    ersmith wrote: »
    You've posted this in the "Propeller 2" forum, but note that PropellerGCC is for the Propeller 1 only. Are you using P1, or do you want to do C development on the P2?

good question.. I am using the activity bot 360. Do you know which chip is used for activity board WX?

Propeller 1
  • ersmith wrote: »

Heh, good catch. I didn't even notice that. @Publison, you're a mod right? can you move this?
  • Moved :)