Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropellerIDE — Parallax Forums

PropellerIDE

Is it possible to install the propellerIDE on an android phone and then send the code written on my laptop to the android phone. This way i could update propeller code in the field without carrying along a clunky laptop.

Thank you

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2020-12-13 18:24
    The short answer is no. There are versions of PropellerIDE and SimpleIDE that run under Linux on an ARM processor. This includes the Raspberry Pi. There are some Raspberry Pi versions that are packaged like a small laptop (look up Pi-Top).

If you are willing to rewrite your software in Forth (Tachyon), you could update your code just using a text terminal program which should be available for your Android phone.

You might also look at Cluso99's Ventilator OS. This is a simple OS that runs on the Propeller with a text terminal console or a TV and PS/2 keyboard for a console. It includes a Spin compiler that, while limited, does run completely on the Propeller.
  • Mr. Green..first of all you have been helping us hobbiest for a long time. Thank you! And, again thank you for your expertise on my question.

Wouldn't be something, however, if there was a propellerIDE app. Asking too much?

Happy holidays to you and yours..stay healthy!

DennO

• denno wrote: »
    Mr. Green..first of all you have been helping us hobbiest for a long time. Thank you! And, again thank you for your expertise on my question.

Wouldn't be something, however, if there was a propellerIDE app. Asking too much?

A propellerIDE app would be wonderful. But it would likely have only a dozen or two users, at most. That means that to recover the cost of development whoever made it would have to charge $1000 or more. I don't think that's likely to go over well...

The sad fact is that (at the moment) the Propeller is very much a niche product. Unless and until that changes, we're going to be stuck with just a few development tools.
  • Another possible self programming tool is FemtoBasic with different variations depending on what you want to use for a console. There are PS/2 keyboard/VGA, PS/2/keyboard/TV, and serial port console versions with FemtoDongle being the simplest (with a serial console that could be an Android). These are 32-bit integer Basic interpreters that run completely on the Propeller. It's pretty easy to add new statements and functions to handle I/O devices although it can directly manipulate the I/O pins. It supports using an SD card for programs and data.
    Look here: <https://github.com/parallaxinc/propeller/tree/master/libraries/community/p1/All/Dongle Basic&gt;