Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stop Spin2 debugger and scroll debug window? — Parallax Forums

Stop Spin2 debugger and scroll debug window?

Is there a way to stop the flow of debug information into the debug window? It would be nice to capture data for a while and then halt input to the debug window while the Spin2 program continue run. In other words, freeze data input as program continues on. Perhaps let programmers set the number of debug samples they want to capture?

Along the same lines, it would be helpful to scroll through the debug data so I can look for patterns, incorrect bits, and so on, in perhaps hundreds of debug messages. Now I can look only at the data displayed in the debug window. The capability to scroll back into early data might be useful. --Jon

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2020-09-25 21:39
    What if I made an option for writing out the debug session into a DEBUG.LOG file? Maybe the DEBUG window could just look at that file, to decouple the need for high-speed updating due to 2M baud data flying in.
  • That would be great, Chip! I'd even look at the log using a general text editor such as WordPad or TextEdit if it's a pain to open the file in the debug window. Earlier today I wanted to look for a flag bit. Luckily for me, I could find it in the debug window. --Jon
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2020-09-25 23:00
    JonTitus wrote: »
    That would be great, Chip! I'd even look at the log using a general text editor such as WordPad or TextEdit if it's a pain to open the file in the debug window. Earlier today I wanted to look for a flag bit. Luckily for me, I could find it in the debug window. --Jon

One thing you can do for now is to put an IF/IFNOT statement at the start of a DEBUG command, in order to gate whether anything gets output or not. This way, you will only see messages that are important or, at least, probably important:

DEBUG_IF.bmp