Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem With The Propeller Activity Board WX DipTrace Files — Parallax Forums

Problem With The Propeller Activity Board WX DipTrace Files

If I go to https://parallax.com/downloads/propeller-activity-board-wx-diptrace-files and attempt to download the DIPTRAC file from this link https://parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/32912-Propeller-Activity-Board-WX-Rev-B-and-C-Design-Files.zip, Chrome will not let me download the file and tells me that it is dangerous. See the image below :)

Comments

• Jim and Bruce,

I've got IT Guy taking a look at this for us. Windows 7.0 Pro is being used by Publison; @idbruce what is your setup?

Ken Gracey
  • I reported it to Parallax IT. Seems all ZIP file are dangerous.
  • Hi,

This appears to be an issue with the recent release of the Chome browser (version 84.x) and any other browser that uses the Chromium engine. Firefox has no issues with downloading the files in question. We are looking at exactly what is triggering this new behavior and what to do about that.
  • Thanks Jim!
  • Problem on both Win7 Pro and Win10 Pro, so it is Chrome,
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2020-08-19 19:39
    Downloads fine through Edge, you know that browser that you did not want but you got it anyway. :)

Seems like a chrome problem,
  • Older versions of the Edge browser will not complain. I did read somewhere that Microsoft has given up building their own browser engine and will deploy the Chromium engine in a future release, if they haven't already. The key is the Chromium engine that sits underneath some of your favorite browsers.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2020-08-19 19:39
    The new version of EDGE is based on Chromium so I don't know why it does not complain.
  • Sheesh, I wonder if this is Edge pushing Chrome out of the way to regain control over our lives again. Just yesterday I updated a Surface Pro computer and Edge insisted it be front and center at every step of the way, forcing it's way as my favorite browser. Until I started Chrome, and it took over control again -- though some apps are still choosing Edge as the browser.

If it's the beginning of a new trend it sure doesn't feel right considering our dependency on Chrome for BlocklyProp.

I'll stop freaking out, but we have enough going on and needn't worry about this kind of thing right now.

Ken Gracey
  • Ken

I am using Win 7 Home Premium
  • This seems to be resolved now. Please let us know if there are any other links you find that are blocked by Chrome or other browsers.
  • Jeff

It is definitely resolved according to my browser.

Thank you.

Bruce
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Sheesh, I wonder if this is Edge pushing Chrome out of the way to regain control over our lives again. Just yesterday I updated a Surface Pro computer and Edge insisted it be front and center at every step of the way, forcing it's way as my favorite browser. Until I started Chrome, and it took over control again -- though some apps are still choosing Edge as the browser.

If it's the beginning of a new trend it sure doesn't feel right considering our dependency on Chrome for BlocklyProp.

I'll stop freaking out, but we have enough going on and needn't worry about this kind of thing right now.

Ken Gracey

Yes, even if (or because?) Edge is now based on the same Engine as Chrome, one can watch some sort of update war. Really? zip files not downloadable for some hours, not able to overwrite defender? HUGE Windows 10 updates, Chrome blocks non site local cookies, tons of applications embedded in iframes (like here maps or so) are not working and that is just what I had to fight with in the last two days, @Wuerfel_21 mentioned also that this is unusual.

On the plus side BlocklyProp might even work with Edge now, I have not tried but some other sites I handle needing Chrome do now work with Edge again.

I even missed the Smartpin Zoom, too much trouble at work.

Mike