Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SmartPin Synchronous Serial Transmit - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

SmartPin Synchronous Serial Transmit

13»

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,209
    Larry,
    Your WAITX's aren't long enough. 16 x 256 = 4096 sysclocks per byte shifted.
  • evanh wrote: »
    Larry,

I'll look at it again in the morning, but I did have ##5000 delays with no difference in the overall outcome. Did you try it?
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2020-06-13 09:46
    Here's a method that uses two pins in asynch mode with one setup with a clock pattern and double clock rate, and then when the data is written the clock pattern is also written to the clock pin at the same time.
    Of course, the pattern can be changed to suit as can the clock polarity.

EDIT- this works because it doesn't matter that there is a redundant "start bit" in the data since it is the clock that validates the data.
    55 PIN 40,000,000 18 -bit TXD	--- configure clock pin to double rate and 18 data
    $15554 ' TX 1- COG! 			--- set the 8-bit clock pattern 
    54 PIN 20,000,000 TXD			--- setup the data pin and effective clock rate
    $55 TX							--- send a byte

MSO1104Z_DS1ZD180800127_2020-06-13_19.00.18.png

TX is a code word
    clkpat          long    $15554          ' default clock pattern
    ' TX ( data -- )
    _TX             mov	x,pinreg        ' assume clock pin is pin+1
    		add	x,#1
    		wypin	a,pinreg        ' write data
     		wypin  clkpat,x         ' write clock pattern to pin+1
    		jmp	#DROP

Ah, IN is tricky to work with for sync serial transmit smartpin mode. I need some sleep myself ...

edited 2020-06-13 13:35
    As a follow on of the asynch data method, I have combined that with the pulse mode plus a delay of a couple of cycles.
    To setup this mode:
    2 ' TX 2- COG! 						--- clock delay (stored at 2nd long before TX in cog)
    8 ' TX 1- COG! 						--- 8 clock pulses
    55 PIN 4 4 HILO						--- setup clock pin for pulse mode
    54 PIN 25,000,000 8 bits $3E TXD			--- setup the data pin for asynch.     

Then transmit a couple of bytes:
    $55 TX $1C TX						--- transmit characters

A block mode would be able to transmit much faster end to end.

MSO1104Z_DS1ZD180800127_2020-06-13_23.23.12.png

At 50MHz data rate (100MHz bandwidth on my scope).
    MSO1104Z_DS1ZD180800127_2020-06-13_23.33.00.png
  • larryvclarryvc Posts: 42
    edited 2020-06-13 21:16
    larryvc wrote: »
    evanh wrote: »
    Larry,

I'll look at it again in the morning, but I did have ##5000 delays with no difference in the overall outcome. Did you try it?
    So having looked at this again, after some well earned sleep, my stated delay of ##5000 actually had delayed the first and second bytes sent and the last byte was never clocked out. I did not see any difference with the delay of ##3000 or ##4096, but I will update my snippet to use a delay of 4096.
    Ah, IN is tricky to work with for sync serial transmit smartpin mode. I need some sleep myself ...
    Yeah, I have not found a wait loop polling method that works for this case yet. Still working on it...

edited 2020-06-13 22:54
    Unlike the async serial mode, you can't examine if shifting is finished or not with sync serial.

Therefore knowing the timing of buffer empty is important for deciding on DIR toggling or maybe X[5] toggling. This is best done with interrupts. I'm a little worried there might be race conditions.

Also, Start-stop mode, X[5]=1, is definitely doing something weird, I think flawed. It may be limited to singles.

edited 2020-06-13 23:01
    This hasn't shown up in earlier discussions because no one is using the smartpins for this. Most cases are bit-bashed instead. Chip used a streamer instead.

I have used the smartpins before but only at sysclk/10 or faster. At such speeds the buffer is always empty so doesn't need any checks.

edited 2020-06-14 12:37
    Well, I've managed to get something going. It's using continuous mode and is split into two three subroutines. Kind of simulating what would happen if using interrupts.
    EDIT: Shifted the init code into its own subroutine.
    EDIT2: Doesn't need to know if second byte is valid, removed the check.
    EDIT3: Reverse an earlier optimisation with when the clock is started.
    EDIT4: Modified to 16-bit shifter size instead of 8-bit. Provides more processing leeway.
    con
    	cksout  = 20				' Pin P20
    	txsout  = 21				' Pin P21

dat		org
    		call	#ssend_init

loc	ptra, #test_dat
    		call	#ssend_dat
    .loop
    		call	#ssend_next
    		jmp	#.loop

'------------------------------------------------
    ssend_init
    		dirl	#cksout
    		wrpin	spi_clock_mode, #cksout		'Set pin P20 as transition-output mode
    		wxpin	#10, #cksout			'Set base period of each step
    		dirh	#cksout				'Enable P20

dirl	#txsout
    		wrpin	spi_tx_mode, #txsout		'setup sync tx mode for pin 21
    		wxpin	#%0_01111, #txsout		'setup continuous mode, X[5] = 0, 16 bits at a time
    	_ret_	dirh	#txsout				'enable smartpin

'SPI clock mode CPHA=0, CPOL=1
    'spi_tx_mode	long	%0000_0111_000_0000000000000_01_11100_0		'B pin = current pin-1
    'spi_clock_mode	long	%0000_0000_000_0000001000000_01_00101_0		'Transition-mode setup

'SPI clock mode CPHA=0, CPOL=0
    spi_tx_mode	long	%0000_1111_000_0000000000000_01_11100_0		'B pin = current pin-1
    spi_clock_mode	long	%0000_0000_000_0000000000000_01_00101_0		'Transition-mode setup

ssend_dat
    		rdword	pa, ptra++	wz		'get length of data to send, this controls the exact number of bytes sent
    	if_nz	dirl	#txsout				'prep for continuous mode
    	if_nz	rdlong	pb, ptra++			'first data to transmit
    	if_nz	wypin	pb, #txsout			'feed first shortword (16 bits) to smartpin shifter
    	if_nz	dirh	#txsout				'shifter primed
    	if_nz	shr	pb, #16
    	if_nz	wypin	pb, #txsout			'feed second shortword (16 bits) to smartpin buffer
    	if_nz	shl	pa, #4				'x16 for number of SPI clock steps per byte (8 bits)
    	if_nz	wypin	pa, #cksout			'start the SPI clock
    		ret			wcz

ssend_next
    		rdword	pb, ptra++			'16-bit data to transmit
    .waitp
    		testp	#txsout		wc		'check for buffer empty
    	if_c	wypin	pb, #txsout			'feed the smartpin buffer
    	if_c	ret			wcz
    		jmp	#.waitp

orgh
    test_dat	word	test_dat_e - test_dat_s
    test_dat_s	byte	1,$85,4,$58,0,"one way bridge"
    test_dat_e

• While my experimental "mucking about" mode isn't using the smartpin synch serial, and instead uses asynch with 8 clocks for the data bits, it is nonetheless easy to work with and non-demanding. So I can feed individual bytes at a time or transmit the whole buffer. While I have tested it for 50MHz clock sending 512 bytes in 100us, I am also checking out 100 and 150MHz clocks and making some adjustments.

What I'm confused about is what is the main problem with synch mode at present? Before smartpins were devised we just wanted some super simple way of clocking in and out data that even the cheapest MCUs do well, but we ended with far more, and yet we still have trouble clocking data.
    edited 2020-06-14 04:19
    Peter,
    Jon is trying to learn the sync serial mode so he can write a tutorial on using it.

There is definitely something undocumented about how the start-stop mode works ... or doesn't work. It doesn't seem to raise IN in a consistent manner when the buffer empties. It's fine if you blindly write data at the correct rate, but that's not a general purpose use then.

Peter,
    Jon is trying to learn the sync serial mode so he can write a tutorial on using it.

I've seen that too, but while there is a tutorial on "sync serial mode" which addresses a way to handle SPI, it is only one way. For instance, when discussing SPI in general sometimes it is easier just to bit-bash stuff and other times we want the highest performance. That would all be surely mentioned. But just because a smartpin mode has been labeled "async" shouldn't preclude it from being mentioned when handling SPI data. Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread any further. Thanks.

He's looking at that smartpin mode, not SPI.

edited 2020-06-14 05:11
    He's looking at that smartpin mode, not SPI.

I decided not to reply but then I got to thinking. The whole reason smartpins are being documented is so we know enough to use them. What do we use synch mode for? SPI of course. If SPI isn't even being addressed or at least tested, then the documentation is incomplete which is what happens when someone documents a feature without taking into account the context and usage. This is a problem with most documentation in general.
    Just my 2cents worth on that matter.
    I'm helping myself as much as I'm helping Jon. What I want to do, but probably will never finish, is make a logic schematic of each smartpin mode. To achieve that I first have to know the effect of each config bit of that mode.

I'm helping myself as much as I'm helping Jon. What I want to do, but probably will never finish, is make a logic schematic of each smartpin mode. To achieve that I first have to know the effect of each config bit of that mode.

Yes, I really appreciate your work on that diagram and understand the nature of the academic side of this documentation effort too.

edited 2020-06-14 08:56
    Here's a demo of the effects of the clocking stages within the prop2 I/O. Using the above code and adjusting the SPI clock smartpin's "base period" you can see the effect this has on the phase relationship as the period is reduced.
    This first one is an SPI clock at sysclock/2000. It looks as expected.
    100MHz2000.PNG

Second one is with SPI clock at sysclock/200. It doesn't look all that different but if you look carefully you'll see the data edges are ever so slightly lagging the clock falling edges.
    10MHz200.PNG

Third one is with SPI clock at sysclock/40. Now you can see the data edges are moving away from the clock falling and towards the clock rising.
    2MHz40.PNG

Fourth one, at sysclock/20, takes this further and now the data edges are half way between the clock edges.
    2MHz20.PNG

And finally, at sysclock/10, the data edges are critically close to landing on the clock rising edges.
    2MHz10.PNG
    640 x 480 - 11K
    640 x 480 - 11K
    640 x 480 - 11K
    640 x 480 - 10K
    640 x 480 - 10K
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Here's a demo of the effects of the clocking stages within the prop2 I/O. Using the above code and adjusting the SPI clock smartpin's "base period" you can see the effect this has on the phase relationship as the period is reduced.
    The scope time tags seems to not change ? Does that mean you reduced the SysCLk to keep the SPI data rate constant, as the divide ratio reduced ?

edited 2020-06-14 09:05
    jmg wrote: »
    The scope time tags seems to not change ? Does that mean you reduced the SysCLk to keep the SPI data rate constant, as the divide ratio reduced ?
    Yep, for the first three cases. By that point I was down to 2 MHz sysclock so changed tack and adjusted the scope for the final two.

EDIT: Ah, a point, the code I'm using is not the exact one posted above. I'm using my diagnostic wrapper code. With that I can specify a PLL clock mode.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    jmg wrote: »
    Yep, for the first three cases. By that point I was down to 2 MHz sysclock so changed tack and adjusted the scope for the final two.

EDIT: Ah, a point, the code I'm using is not the exact one posted above. I'm using my diagnostic wrapper code. With that I can specify a PLL clock mode.

Does that mean that at higher sysclk speeds, and low dividers, there will be more pin-transit-time considerations too, as have been seen on the HyperRAM code developments ?
    I guess SPI Speeds above 50MHz are uncommon, but they do occur.
    Yeah, that's another level of detail again. :)
    edited 2020-06-15 07:30
    Here's a tweaked version of the above to make it regular SPI data format of most significant bit first.
    con
    	cksout  = 20				' Pin P20
    	txsout  = 21				' Pin P21

dat		org
    		call	#ssend_init

loc	ptra, #test_dat
    		call	#ssend_dat
    .loop
    		call	#ssend_next
    		jmp	#.loop

ssend_init
    		dirl	#cksout
    		wrpin	spi_clock_mode, #cksout		'Set pin P20 as transition-output mode
    		wxpin	#10, #cksout			'Set base period of each step
    		dirh	#cksout				'Enable P20

dirl	#txsout
    		wrpin	spi_tx_mode, #txsout		'setup sync tx mode for pin 21
    		wxpin	#%0_01111, #txsout		'setup continuous mode, X[5] = 0, 16 bits at a time
    	_ret_	dirh	#txsout				'enable smartpin

'SPI clock mode CPHA=0, CPOL=1
    'spi_tx_mode	long	%0000_0111_000_0000000000000_01_11100_0		'B pin = current pin-1
    'spi_clock_mode	long	%0000_0000_000_0000001000000_01_00101_0		'Transition-mode setup

'SPI clock mode CPHA=0, CPOL=0
    spi_tx_mode	long	%0000_1111_000_0000000000000_01_11100_0		'B pin = current pin-1
    spi_clock_mode	long	%0000_0000_000_0000000000000_01_00101_0		'Transition-mode setup

ssend_dat
    		rdword	pa, ptra++	wz		'get length of data to send, this controls the exact number of bytes sent
    	if_z	decod	pa, #16				'zero length treated as 64 kB
    		dirl	#txsout				'prep for continuous mode
    		rdlong	pb, ptra++			'first data to transmit
    		movbyts	pb, #%%0123			'format for big-endian
    		rev	pb				'but use the little-endian shifter
    		wypin	pb, #txsout			'feed first shortword (16 bits) to smartpin shifter
    		dirh	#txsout				'shifter primed
    		shr	pb, #16
    		wypin	pb, #txsout			'feed second shortword (16 bits) to smartpin buffer
    		shl	pa, #4				'x16 for number of SPI clock steps per byte (8 bits)
    		wypin	pa, #cksout			'start the SPI clock
    		ret			wcz

ssend_next
    		rdword	pb, ptra++			'16-bit data to transmit
    		movbyts	pb, #%%0123			'format for big-endian
    		rev	pb				'but use the little-endian shifter
    .waitp
    		testp	#txsout		wc		'check for buffer empty
    	if_c	wypin	pb, #txsout			'feed the smartpin buffer
    	if_c	ret			wcz
    		jmp	#.waitp