Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I am soooooooo bored!!! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

I am soooooooo bored!!!

2»

Comments

• @davejames when did you move to Idaho? I thought you lived in San Jose...

I go your direction quite frequently.

@doggiedoc that garden is wonderful. Food independence!

Ken Gracey
  • Hey @doggiedoc - are the 2x10s (or 2x12s) used in your raised beds cedar? We really can't get that type of wood on the west coast. We can buy B-grade redwood, which also holds up in the dirt. When I check Home Depot east coast locations I see they often have cedar, and redwood on the west coast.

Ken Gracey
  • @"Ken Gracey" - those are 2x12 #2 pine, pressure treated for rot control. Isn’t redwood naturally rot resistant? Or am I thinking of wester red cedar?
  • doggiedoc wrote: »
    @"Ken Gracey" - those are 2x12 #2 pine, pressure treated for rot control. Isn’t redwood naturally rot resistant? Or am I thinking of wester red cedar?

Both redwood and cedar (to a lesser extent) are rot-resistant and used for that purpose on the west coast.

Our pressure-treated woods are douglas fir and they're almost always brown or dark green. I've never seen pressure-treated pine of the color used in your beds. Did you have any hesitance about using pressure-treated wood for a garden?

Ken Gracey
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    .... Did you have any hesitance about using pressure-treated wood for a garden?
    Ken Gracey

After spending a good bit of time reading and researching the topic, I finally came to the conclusion that under normal soil condition (pH mostly) that it is extremely unlikely that enough copper and anti-fungal compounds will leach into the soil to be harmful. Besides, the plants would die if they absorbed more that trace amounts of copper anyway. So I went with durability of treated over untreated because of the labor and expense of replacing them all. I'm getting too old for that!

• Ken Gracey wrote: »
    @davejames when did you move to Idaho? I thought you lived in San Jose...
    Yessir, we did.

After 45 years in the electronics industry, I retired August 2018. Already knowing that my wife and I could not survive in the bay area on social security money alone, we decided to sell the house and move to an area with more favorable financial and social climes. We completed the move to Idaho by October, having previously purchased our new digs.

We're still unpacking! And, we're still unsettled in terms of rebuilding our social network...not to mention greatly missing our kids, friends, and former neighbors.

• davejames wrote: »
    After 45 years in the electronics industry, I retired August 2018. Already knowing that my wife and I could not survive in the bay area on social security money alone, we decided to sell the house and move to an area with more favorable financial and social climes. We completed the move to Idaho by October, having previously purchased our new digs.

We're still unpacking! And, we're still unsettled in terms of rebuilding our social network...not to mention greatly missing our kids, friends, and former neighbors.

Congrats to you, Dave. I think you're telling a common story about this state. While we seem to have done fairly well with the covid-19 situation so far, we're economically decimated in this state. You may remember that Gov. Brown had a massive surplus stored up, but it's now been dashed! Your exit couldn't have been more timely.

Ken Gracey

• frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,974
    edited 2020-05-14 07:14
    Yeah, old Jerry has a great track record for eliminating surpluses. I bailed to USN around the time of Camden/Blossom Hill Rd ===> San Thomas Expwy and Walsh commute time was > 45min. Now, no telling what that time would be and .d..n. all the freeways going through neighborhoods I knew. Surprised they just did not bury Good Sam under the 85. Guess you never can really go home...

Wonder how many on the forum know what Santa Clara used to be the ____ capital of the world.