Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone willing to lend a Scribbler 2? — Parallax Forums

Anyone willing to lend a Scribbler 2?

My eldest daughter is finishing up an Art Education degree. For one of her classes, she needs to create and run an art lesson. Her choice? Art (and engineering/math) with a Scribbler! After a mere 30 minutes with the software, she was creating her own programs, completed with loops and subroutines! And, no, she's never expressed an interest in programming.

So she's absconded with my Scribbler to use in the lesson. However, what she'd really like is to have more Scribblers to make her lesson more hands-on. So, here's my plea: is anyone willing to briefly lend their S2 in early November to help her out? She's hoping for 4-5 more units. I'm willing to pay shipping costs, if that makes a difference.

PM me it you can help. And thanks!

Comments

• I have you she can use. I'm not even sure if I really need it back if you or she have a long-term use for it.
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2019-09-27 11:54
    David Betz wrote: »
    I have you she can use. I'm not even sure if I really need it back if you or she have a long-term use for it.

Thanks! Let me know what the shipping cost is so I can PayPal you for it. As for keeping it, that's a kind offer. She was threatening to keep mine, but I'm not sure how serious she was.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    I think I have one, but I will have to look.
    If I do you are welcome to it. To keep if you want.
    I will let you know later today.

Bean
  • What version would be the best? Blue, Red or Green?
  • Publison wrote: »
    What version would be the best? Blue, Red or Green?

Red (S2).
  • OK. I'll check to see which ones are running.
    Yes, I have one brand new in the box.
    Send me a PM with your address and I'll send it to you.

Bean
  • I have three Reds. Probably only two would be useful as one has Phil's S2 Rubber Band Shooter semi-permanently mounted on it.

PM an address and the date you need it by.
  • Publison wrote: »
    I have three Reds. Probably only two would be useful as one has Phil's S2 Rubber Band Shooter semi-permanently mounted on it.

PM an address and the date you need it by.

Thanks! If it's not too much trouble, send the modded one as well. She can either not use it, or use that one as her demonstration unit, and mine can be used by one of the students.
    I will be shipping mine tomorrow.
    I'll PM you the tracking # then.

Bean
  • I'm hoping you'll post a video of her robot art lesson when it's done!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,248
    Just seeing this. What a great group of people we have here, always generously ready to help out.

As ever, Parallax and its Forumistas ROCK!
  • erco wrote: »
    Just seeing this. What a great group of people we have here, always generously ready to help out.

As ever, Parallax and its Forumistas ROCK!

I couldn't agree more! Thank you all for helping!
  • David Betz wrote: »
    I'm hoping you'll post a video of her robot art lesson when it's done!

I know she's talked about some social media posts. I'll ask if there will be a video recording.
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2019-11-17 02:10
    Just a quick update. My daughter's teaching lesson was this past Tuesday. From what I understand, it was a resounding success. With 6 Scribblers on hand, she was able to have groups of 2-3 work with each one. Apparently, prior to the lesson, a couple professors heard about it and asked to participate as students! While she started everyone off with a simple program (that she wrote herself) to draw a basic "spirograph" pattern, the students were tasked with modifying the program to create their own patterns. To my knowledge, none of them had any programming experience. However, by the end of the lesson, at least two groups were adventuresome enough to try their hand at creating a program from scratch!

I've attached a few photos that she sent me (there may be more, but I haven't seen them yet.) A couple are Instagram screenshots, since none of them use Twitter. :smiley: I hope Parallax has a presence there and was able to see these. If I get more pictures, I'll be sure to pass them along.

Also, starting next semester, it looks like Chelsea will be an assistant teacher for one of the local middle school's new art club. She says she's already making plans for the Scribblers.

Again, thank you to all that lent a hand. Not only did you help open her eyes to new possibilities, I think she successfully did the same for her peer group and more!
    1280 x 960 - 38K
    576 x 1024 - 105K
    900 x 1600 - 72K
    754 x 529 - 91K
  • This is just six different shades of awesome! Tell your daughter “well done”. And thanks go to the good folks here on the board that helped to make this adventure possible.

Sometimes the world amazes me! :)
  • Congratulations to your daughter!
  • Who says art and science don't go together. I give your daughter and her students a big thumbs-up. Big thanks to the awesome folks here in this forum for their generous help in supplying hardware.
  • The critters made it back safe and sound with a nice Thank You note from Chelsea. Glad it was a success!
    934 x 530 - 226K
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,248
    Excellent! Huge congrats to your daughter.

I'm doing another Mini Maker Faire on Dec 7. I will have a Spirograph Scribbler on hand, just like I did 2 years ago. I had the pattern all programmed, kids just picked the pen color, and they got to take their artwork with them afterwards. HUGE hit!