Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Debating the P2 Eval — Parallax Forums

Debating the P2 Eval

I'm debating wether or not I'm going to shell $150.00 for the P2-eval. I'm leaning towards yes. But have a few comments and questions.

1. I have not dabbled in the P2 post much at all to see what its all about.
2. What do I program it with? The P1 propeller tool software thats listed under P1?
3. I see something about Spin2 where do I get it?
4. I saw some P2 github examples.
5. Why don't you make it easy. When I go to P2 for puchase why don't you have a P2 programming tool listed?
6. You need to make easy for non-transistor heads.
7. I'm sure you would sell a lot. If you had a nice package with a programming tool and some kick butt examples ready to plug and play instead of having to fish around forum post and github for a programming tool with examples.

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,012
    edited 2019-11-11 17:37
    I don't think Chip is done with Parallax Spin2 yet...

But, ersmith has a really nice version here:
    FlexGUI 4.0.3: a complete programming system for P2 (and P1)

I believe it comes with a couple examples...

There is also Basic and C for P2 there too...
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2019-11-11 17:35
    Rayman wrote: »
    I don't think Chip is done with Parallax Spin2 yet...

But, ericball has a really nice version here:
    FlexGUI 4.0.3: a complete programming system for P2 (and P1)
    That's Eric Smith and yes it is very nice.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,012
    Oops, Sorry Eric Smith, fixed that...
  • Here you have the "programming tool"
    FlexGUI which includes also a sample folder in the zip archive
  • Thanks guys. I got Flex GUI from Github. Now I guess I'm obligated to the P2 purchase.
  • I have the same doubt in relation to the HyperRAM module. I'm pondering between shelling out $40 or not. It the module is a limited edition, probably it won't have that much support (in essence, the same support that the P2 Eval Rev. A will have).

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
  • Now, to be fair, I'll answer your questions.

What do I program it with? The P1 propeller tool software thats listed under P1? Why don't you make it easy. When I go to P2 for puchase why don't you have a P2 programming tool listed?
    There are no official tools available. But you can use spin2gui or Catalina. Tools will be released when the P2 goes to the production stage. Mind these boards are prototypes for testing and development. They are not the final product, in any way, shape or form.

• samuell wrote: »
    I have the same doubt in relation to the HyperRAM module. I'm pondering between shelling out $40 or not. It the module is a limited edition, probably it won't have that much support (in essence, the same support that the P2 Eval Rev. A will have).

About this... the HyperRAM module won't be limited (it will always be a required module for P2). What is uncertain just now is the favoured configuration for users. Ie. dual ram, dual flash, mixture, etc.. etc.. So the available configuration may change, memory sizes may increase, etc.. etc.. according to user demand. To start it's set up to allow testing of both Ram and Flash.

Code will be created and shared by many users I'm sure. I've seen some nice graphics demos on the forums already.
    Also there's the test code that Parallax manufacturing are using, and we can see about getting some form of that added to the Parallax examples repo soon:

https://propeller.parallax.com/

That repo includes some sample code for the existing accessory set too! (Click the link right at the bottom of the page, "Other / P2 example source code" ). Which might be a help for @DigitalBob too !

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    @DigitalBob,
    We’re still in the “sampling” stage of P2. Some tools are very advanced flexgui/fastspin and Catalina, and there are program samples. But spin2 isn’t complete yet.
    So it’s premature to ask for those things. If you want to get your feet wet, jump in now. But if you want everything available, you need to wait some months at least.
  • @VonSzarvas Thanks for letting me know. My finances are tight, for now. I'm interested on the HyperRAM module, but I'll buy it later, then.

The new P2 Eval, though, for me, is an absolute must, even though I have the Rev. A already. But since the silicon is different, and even the ISA implementation has some changes, I must buy it. On top of that, the Rev. A will be out of support, unfortunately. I'll keep it for historical reasons.