Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Raspberry Pi 4 — Parallax Forums

Raspberry Pi 4

New Raspberry Pi 4 is out.

USB 3.0 and Ethernet that isn't excruciatingly slow.

More details:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-4-on-sale-now-from-35/

Comments

• Hi

Mine is on its way! :D -thanks for the heads up.

Dave
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    I remember OBC making a bet with me that the P2 would be out before the Pi and that the Pi was actually just vapourware ;-)

Here we are on the cusp of great things only 7 years later....
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140

I like this comment :smile:
    "The Raspberry Pi website migrated to Pi4 servers on Friday night. https://blog.mythic-beasts.com/2019/06/22/raspberry-pi-on-raspberry-pi/
    Eat your own dogfood!"

Coley wrote: »
    I remember OBC making a bet with me that the P2 would be out before the Pi and that the Pi was actually just vapourware ;-)
    Hehe, well at least P2-ES was out before Pi4 !! ;)

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2019-06-24 22:25
    Looks like August delivery for USA. :(
  • Pi3g has a good write-up on the Pi4.
    Product Page:
    https://buyzero.de/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b?variant=28034030927974
    Direct link to PDF write-up
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1560/1473/files/Inside_Raspberry_Pi_4.pdf?2142

I believe there is a version of a Propeller IDE that runs on a Pi and if so, I would like to update my aged briefcase computer to a Pi4 from the ION A603 mini PC running Win98.

I also see this (my emphasis added)
    "The GPIO pinout is exactly the same, and backwards compatible, so it’ll still work with the enormous collection of HATs that have been designed for Pis over the years. But that’s not to say there are no upgrades here at all — the engineers have been able to squeeze in a whole lot more I2C, UART and SPI peripherals onto the various pins, about 6 of each now, adding enormous potential to talk to more devices over these protocols. If you’ve ever run into trouble during a project because you wanted, for example, to include more than one device that uses UART, you’re now good for up to six of them."
    another review claims
    " and with fixed support for clock stretching over I2C interfaces."

and another page says
    "...up to 6 × I2C, up to 6 × UART (muxed with I2C), up to 6 × SPI (only five exposed on Raspberry Pi 4B)..."

All that improved IO, will make this more appealing to talk to a P2 :)
    Maybe the SPI and UARTs can go faster too ?
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    The 4GB one is a bit more difficult to get, so I'll wait - but I'll get at least one 4GB, and a couple of 1- or 2GB ones. At a later time.
  • Hard to beat the RPi. This latest model is a must-read for me.
  • jmg wrote: »

I also see this (my emphasis added)
    "The GPIO pinout is exactly the same, and backwards compatible, so it’ll still work with the enormous collection of HATs that have been designed for Pis over the years. But that’s not to say there are no upgrades here at all — the engineers have been able to squeeze in a whole lot more I2C, UART and SPI peripherals onto the various pins, about 6 of each now, adding enormous potential to talk to more devices over these protocols. If you’ve ever run into trouble during a project because you wanted, for example, to include more than one device that uses UART, you’re now good for up to six of them."
    another review claims
    " and with fixed support for clock stretching over I2C interfaces."

and another page says
    "...up to 6 × I2C, up to 6 × UART (muxed with I2C), up to 6 × SPI (only five exposed on Raspberry Pi 4B)..."

All that improved IO, will make this more appealing to talk to a P2 :)
    Maybe the SPI and UARTs can go faster too ?

what just 6 UARTS? Just 6 I2C?

Even the P1 can do better with up to 16 of each, double that for the P2!

Enjoy!

Mike
    msrobots wrote: »
    what just 6 UARTS? Just 6 I2C?

Even the P1 can do better with up to 16 of each, double that for the P2!

Well, yes, if someone needs a lot of ports, I'd expect designers to want to join the two.
    Still on the lookout for if there are any speed gains on those extra ports, but that may take a while to shake out.

• Take a look at what Hack A Day has to say about this device. They are impressed by what's on the board certainly. Just not in the choice for delivering power via a USB-C style connection and matching power device.

--
    And this is sponsored by the inhabitants of the totally boring planet of Tatooine.
    They are impressed by what's on the board certainly. Just not in the choice for delivering power via a USB-C style connection and matching power device.
    Such a change is less than ideal, but is dictated by current capability.
    I'm not sure they had much choice ?

• In my opinion, USB-C is so much better than micro USB. It's just so much more robust, no more bent plugs, also fits both ways.
    It does break physical compatibility and thus needs new cases and cables, but so do the dual micro HDMI outs and to some degree the rearranging of the USB and ethernet ports.