Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Any interest in doing UDP — Parallax Forums

Any interest in doing UDP

I have modified the code that runs on the Parallax WX ESP board to do UDP.

I am wondering if anyone is interested in doing that.

So far I can build a connection and send a UDP packet or Receive a UDP packet and then close the connection.

The WiFi library at this point does not support it but would need just a few tweaks to make that work.

Mike

Comments

• Mike,
    Thanks once again for your work on this module.
    As you stated before;
    "It would be nice if it supported UDP as then we could build projects that send data out and in without having to know what we are talking to".
    Although you may not get much feedback now, I think that this would be a very welcome and useful addition, and well appreciated by WiFi module users for a long time to come.
    Bear in mind that not many of us are as expert as you, so you would need to document it at a really low level with step-by-step instructions, screenshots and coding examples.
    The Parallax learn tutorials for the WiFi module are a good guideline.
    Thanks once again for your contributions on this module.
  • I haven't really had a chance to play with the wx yet since I just got it yesterday. Being able to send and receive UDP would be great. I'm not familiar with the current library but anything in SPIN would be a huge help for me, personally!
  • I have not seen any library's in SPIN for this module. All the code is written in C.

Having said that the module is designed to be transparent so that if you send data to the module it will just go out port 23 (telnet) to however is connected on that port. So if you use Putty for example and connect to the IP address of your WX WiFi module you can send and receive data to it transparently with no code.

The more advanced things require the module to be in command mode where commands are prefixed with 0xFE as the escape character to tell it want to sent it command and not data. Sort of like the AT command mode of old.

So you really don't need a driver library just know what commands you want to send to it and build the data stream to match.

The way UDP is implemented is it's just like connecting to another computer and you just send a UDP connect command with the to IP address and the local and remote port. The local port is used to receive UDP packets and the remote port is for sent packets. When your done you send it a close connection and all is good.

I have not implemented Multi-cast yet as that would take a little more work but would be required if you want to make this device look like a device in your home that you can control.

Mike