Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Two Props vs PropTool? — Parallax Forums

Two Props vs PropTool?

I have a thing with two Propellers, each doing its own thing (not booting off a shared EEPROM or anything fancy like that). It would be handy if I could keep them both plugged into separate USB ports and program the one or the other with PropTool. PropTool does talk to one, but I can't find a way to convince it to talk to the other. The Parallax serial terminal lets you select which USB port to use. Is there a way to do something similar with PropTool? If not, is there another tool that has that capability?

m

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Yes it can be done...

You can set the serial port in Edit/Preferences/Operation/Serial Port Search and set the port.
    I think you then need to rename the proptool.exe so you can start the second proptool ???
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    You can set the serial port in Edit/Preferences/Operation/Serial Port Search and set the port.

Ah, the old hide-it-under-edit-preferences-operation trick. That's the second time I've fallen for it this month. Thank you, Cluso99!
  • you do not need to rename proptool, I can start two instances without problem.

Nice to see you back @mpark, or - hmm - not sure about this, YOU are the guy who got me addicted to Parallax, this Forum and the P1 by writing Spinx. Using it got me addicted.

Finally they are coming back, @mpark is back @RossH is back, somebody should get hold of @pullmoll ...

Enjoy!

Mike
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    msrobots wrote: »
    you do not need to rename proptool, I can start two instances without problem.

Really? What's the trick? On Win7, clicking Propeller Tool in the start menu just surfaces the already-running instance, at least in my experience.
    msrobots wrote: »
    Nice to see you back @mpark, or - hmm - not sure about this, YOU are the guy who got me addicted to Parallax, this Forum and the P1 by writing Spinx. Using it got me addicted.

I regret nothing! :smile:

• Using windows 7.
    Not sure if this is the best way, but I opened the first instance normally. Then I right clicked on the icon in the task bar and it gave me a poup that showed proptool and a list of recent spin files. Then I right clicked on proptool in that list and clicked on "run as administrator". I got a small window that asked if I really wanted to and I clicked yes. In a moment the second instance opened. Now, if I hover over the proptool icon in the task bar it shows 2 instances.

I tried to open a third one that way, but it did not. So it looks like you can one normal and one as admin. (If you already have proptool set up to run as admin, this probably won't work.

Tom
  • well - I tried and it seems not to work anymore.

If you have a Link on the desktop, you can start multiple instances by clicking very fast, but as soon as the first one is finishing loading you can not open more.

So it seems to be intentionally.

That is with Version 1.3.2. - Funny, I remember having more then one open, gosh I am getting old I guess.

Mike