Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is there an Emulator for Win7 that I can write PASM code and step thru to test without any hardware? — Parallax Forums

Is there an Emulator for Win7 that I can write PASM code and step thru to test without any hardware?

Hello,

Is there an Emulator for Win7 that I can write PASM code and step thru to test without any hardware?
I searched the forum and Gear is the only one I saw with a GUI to see what is going on.
But, when downloaded and run it wants a binary file or a EEPROM to download.

Is there something I can write PASM code and test it without having any hardware?

Thanks

Comments

• When the Propeller initializes itself after a reset, it loads (and interprets) a Spin program from an attached PC or EEPROM. That program can contain PASM code. In fact, the program might be all PASM code except for a small prefix in the first 32 bytes of memory that loads the next 2K into cog 0 and starts it executing. See the attachment for details. Gear expects to have a binary image of the program starting at location 0. The EEPROM file is a 32K memory image starting at location 0. You can use the Propeller Tool or PropellerIDE to produce a binary image for Gear from a Spin or Spin/PASM program. Both will run under Windows.
  • Write the program in the Prop Tool. Compile it using F8. In the info window that opens, click on "save binary file". Then open that binary file in GEAR.

Hope this helps
    Tom
  • Thank you.