Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MISSING SX EDITOR ASSEMBLER HELP DIRECTORY — Parallax Forums

MISSING SX EDITOR ASSEMBLER HELP DIRECTORY

I am going to look through my older Parallax CD's that came with kits and see if they have it.

What year was SX Editor made?

What year did SX/B come out?

I think when Parallax put SX/B Help direct in Help menu they wiped out SX Assembler help files.

I have found documentation referring to SX Help.

Comments

• Here is a SX manual dated about 2003. Also a Ubicom SAMS manual with remarks by Jeff Martin from Parallax.
  • microcontrollerusermicrocontrolleruser Posts: 1,194
    edited 2018-11-20 17:08
    Thank you Publison

I did not see anything about Assembler Help but they are neat.

Installed SX Editor off 2004 Parallax CD.

There is no Assembler Help OR S/X Help!

Let me try next one from 2007 then the 2010 one.

Think I am looking for version when they added Assembler Help but before they added S/X Help.
  • I am going to look through my older Parallax CD's that came with kits and see if they have it.

What year was SX Editor made?

What year did SX/B come out?

I think when Parallax put SX/B Help direct in Help menu they wiped out SX Assembler help files.

I have found documentation referring to SX Help.

The SX Key programming environment came out in 1997, with the SX microcontroller.

SX/B was introduced by Terry Hitt a bit later - perhaps 1999. It progressed and became a useful tool, being used by the JonnyMac and others for product design and quick development.

Both lines are entirely obsolete today, of course. I was just asked by our Manufacturing and Inventory Control Manager "Hey Ken, what about these remaining 5,000 SX chips - what do you want to do with them?"

For a while you can still buy programmed PBASIC interpreters and some BASIC Stamp modules that use SX chips. But within the year there will be nothing more to talk about. And that's a welcome change; we've moved on.

Ken Gracey

• Thank you Publison

I did not see anything about Assembler Help but they are neat.

Installed SX Editor off 2004 Parallax CD.

There is no Assembler Help OR S/X Help!

Let me try next one from 2007 then the 2010 one.

Think I am looking for version when they added Assembler Help but before they added S/X Help.

I would download everything in the "Downloads and Documentation" link on this page

https://www.parallax.com/product/45214

• Ken Gracey wrote: »
    I was just asked by our Manufacturing and Inventory Control Manager "Hey Ken, what about these remaining 5,000 SX chips - what do you want to do with them?"
    Wow! I hadn't noticed that the SX chips had disappeared from the Parallax store. I guess this is the end of an era. I still have some SX28 DIP chips and I'm going to hang onto them until they're so rare that they demand a price of $1000 each! :smile:
  • microcontrollerusermicrocontrolleruser Posts: 1,194
    edited 2018-11-20 18:10
    "But within the year there will be nothing more to talk about. And that's a welcome change; we've moved on."

Well. Good luck with the Propeller 2 which seems to be what you are MOVING ON TO.

The SX is just a personal goal of mine. "What did they do different from the PIC16F57 which it is pin compatible with?"

"Microcontroller Archaelogy". There's a little more to it than that. SX assembler crosses over to the majority of our interest.

Parallax put an amazing amount of work into that.

"Waste not, want not". Does not make sense to me to scrap all that effort.

With a little thinking the SX is useful for all kinds of things.

"SX Assembler Help files come out from wherever you're hiding. I won't hurt you.":)

• Thank you Publison

Sounds like you're saying it is about to be purged.

So be it. There's enough documentation on the CD's for us to keep going forever.

All you really need is the SX and a datasheet.

Those SX's are good little chips.

• Those SX's are good little chips.
    I hear Parallax has 5000 of them in stock. You might want to buy them while you have a chance!

• I hear Parallax has 5000 of them in stock. You might want to buy them while you have a chance!

. . .and those chips are now moved to our closed, secret warehouse for use in our own production.

You'll have to peel them off of BASIC Stamp modules.

Ken Gracey

• Installed the 2007 SX Editor.

It has SX/B help but no Assembler Help.

Parallax may have never made an Assembler Help like the Stamp Editor Help (which is very handy).

So it's back to the 3 or 4 manuals avalable. All very good. Just have to get into their approaches.

Looks like SX/B was an attempt to save the SX.

Bad part about that is why bother with it when you could just get a P family Stamp?

SX core that you could run the familiar Pbasic. Guess they wanted to sell off the SX hardware.

I can imagine the Basic Stamp users lack of success with the SX and assembler .Thinking they were just going to 'move up'.

SX assembler has a VERY steep learning curve. Equal to or steeper than PIC assembler.

You could spend a lifetime uncovering every last dark corner in the SX.

There are roughly twice as many instructions as with the equivalent PIC.

Will keep exploring the SX.

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-11-20 22:11
    The concept behind SX/B is that it generated assembly code so people familiar with Basic could learn assembly by example.

The SX could run code faster than a Basic Stamp.

• Thank you Publison

Good tip on SX/B!

Will install SX Editor from 2010 CD and then that is done.