Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HT16K33-AlphaNumeric-8-Digit-14-Segment LED — Parallax Forums

HT16K33-AlphaNumeric-8-Digit-14-Segment LED

I recently found some nice 14-segment displays on eBay. They use a HT16K33 driver chip; I2C interface.

Here is a spin program complete with a font and a couple of photographs.

I'm not sure why I keep looking at 14- or 16-segment LEDs. Matrix displays are easy to work with and support much nicer fonts.

Comments

• Because they were last seen being installed into a space craft that flew us to the moon?

Splendid question.
  • Adafruit makes a 4x14 "backpack" module that some of my customers use in Escape Room props because they do in fact have an old-school-high-tech feel.

I wrote a general-purpose object for it that duplicates the features of FDS.
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    Adafruit makes a 4x14 "backpack" module that some of my customers use in Escape Room props because they do in fact have an old-school-high-tech feel.

I wrote a general-purpose object for it that duplicates the features of FDS.

Hello!
    And would that also be used for the displays inside Doc Brown's Time Traveling Delorean as well? I'm bringing that up because the displays as I recall resembled the ones that Tom there obtained.
  • Those are the displays.

back-to-the-future-1000x563.jpg
  • That's interesting. It looks like only the month is displayed using 14-segments. The day, year and time appear to use 7-segment displays.
  • Can't help but wonder if the month displays are nine-segment
  • Can't help but wonder if the month displays are nine-segment

From the Wikipedia article, I would guess that they are 14-segment.
  • DaveJensonDaveJenson Posts: 370
    edited 2018-07-27 17:29
    Looks more like the 14-segment display.

But then the "N" and "V" in the Delorean display are not consistent with any of these....

I'm wondering if there wasn't some photoshop magic involved....
  • 9-seg upside down from the wiki article
  • The T in OCT is not consistent with the 9-segment display. Maybe they used a mix of different segment displays, or possibly they made a mask for the months that looked like a multi-segment display.
  • Good point. Does anybody know what all months (i.e. alpha letters) they used? If this forum were Big Bang Theory, we would be watching the entire series by now. :smile:
  • Here's a screenshot showing DEC. Looks custom made to me.
    1052 x 663 - 169K
    back.jpg 169.5K
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    Here's a screenshot showing DEC. Looks custom made to me.

Yes, custom as in 'custom done in the graphics department' ? ;)
    If not Photoshop, then a printed mask that drops over a backlight, somewhat font mapped. Some of those characters are mutually exclusive on a real segment display.
  • Anybody notice the years in the original image were a bit whacko? It looks like th-. Hold up, is this by any chance the time panel on the Delorean from Back to the Future?
  • Anybody notice the years in the original image were a bit whacko? It looks like th-. Hold up, is this by any chance the time panel on the Delorean from Back to the Future?

Actually yes. They are not the display in a good friend's TARDIS.