Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Activitybot Issues — Parallax Forums

Activitybot Issues

Hi!

Our activitybot has been recently causing us problems, the problems we're having are a bit hard to explain but i'll try my best to explain them in the most detail as possible.
Our first issue is that, whenever the robot is calibrated, we will check the error results with the code in blockly, the error code will then state that "left servo of the activitybot needs mechanical calibration", from our understanding, mechanical calibration is when a screwdriver is used to twist in the back of the servo. However, we have tried doing so multiple times at multiple different lengths of turning but the error still comes up all the same. A second issue we have is that many times while we try to execute a code on the robot, the robot will obey the first, say, 5 lines of code, but then decides it wants to do its own thing and just kind of goes in a straight line or stops moving, either way it completely stops obeying the code we provided for it. These issues have occurred with two of the robots that we own. We have gotten the error to say "both servos need mechanical calibration" too, but we have never gotten the left servo error on its own to go go away, even though we were able to fix the "both servos need mechanical calibration error". A third error we noticed is that sometimes the wheels will pulse, where they will seem to get a burst of energy then slow down, then get a burst of energy, and keep repeating that but at a fast speed. We have also tried using code on both blockly AND simple IDE. If someone is able to solve this it would be greatly appreciated, if any other code is needed just shoot a reply to this thread and i'll get it attached ASAP.

Comments

• Our Activitybot has been having problems when running a simple code. The left wheel is not turning or it turns for a little bit and stops or turns slower or way faster than the right wheel. We have tried using different codes and the results are the same as the left wheel doesn't turn or turns to fast/slow. We have tried to calibrating the robot and the we then check the calibration status in blockly and it says "left servo needs mechanical calibration" We then calibrate it using a screwdriver. We will then try running the code again and the same problems occur. We have tried running the code in both Blockly and SimpleIDE and the same problem occurs in both programs.

This is the code we are trying to run:
    #include "simpletools.h"
    #include "abdrive.h"

int main()
    {
    drive_speed(80, 60);
    pause(2000);
    drive_speed(0, 0);
    }
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Can you switch the servo cables to see if the problem switches sides or remains on the same side?
  • I would look at this:

https://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/robot/activitybot/activitybot/extras/troubleshooting#encoder

and check to see if the resistors for the encoders are in place.
  • Will try that.
  • Are you using an Activity Bot classic or the Activity Bot 360?

Now that the Activity Bot 360 is out I notice that people use the wrong initializing block, calibrations block and results block on their Activity Bot/360. After looking at the libraries for both the classic AB and the AB360 I can only find you're error message in the classic library if you're using an 360 version this can cause an issue.

The second issue can also be do to using the wrong initializing block and calibration block.

Could you send me a link to the code you're using I can test it on my end and a picture of your set up would help(if you can).
  • Hi, Any luck?
  • They are using the classic and will be trying the encoders thing and making sure their initializing block and calibration block are correct tomorrow in class. Hopefully they can also send you their code and a picture.
  • We made sure we were using the activitybot classic initializing block and calibration block. We went through all the other solutions and the left wheel still does not spin correctly.

The following is code we got from the parallax website and tried using.
    /* Forward then Stop.c */
    #include "simpletools.h"
    #include "abdrive.h"

int main()
    {
    drive_speed(64, 64);
    pause(4000);
    drive_speed(0, 0);
    }

Here is the robot
    504 x 336 - 180K
  • It almost likes like the resistors are in the wrong sockets but its hard to tell. Can I call you? or I you can call me when you have time at (916) 624-8333