Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop2 FPGA files!!! - Updated 2 June 2018 - Final Version 32i - Page 91 — Parallax Forums

Prop2 FPGA files!!! - Updated 2 June 2018 - Final Version 32i

Comments

• cgracey wrote: »
    Ozpropdev, could you check to see if the RESn and RX lines are pulled high on the BeMicro-A9 board?
    Both V23a and V24 pull RESn high only .

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    I just jumped back to V23 to check and Pnut v23 works fine with the Be-A9 board.
    Hmmm.

I'm unclear - was this a FPGA image change, or a pnut.exe version change ?
    ie is this indicating a FPGA, or PC side, issue ?

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,091
    JMG,
    Everyone is scratching heads. There wasn't anything intentionally changed.
    Oz,
    I think Chip is asking if there is passive pull-up resistors on or added to the BeMicro board.
  • evanh wrote: »
    Oz,
    I think Chip is asking if there is passive pull-up resistors on or added to the BeMicro board.
    I assumed he was talking about FPGA weak pull ups as defined by Quartus pin assignment.
    evanh wrote: »
    JMG,
    Everyone is scratching heads. There wasn't anything intentionally changed.

Yes, I was unclear what ozpropdev changed in the test tho. One way to read it was an older PNut works with newest FPGA image ?
    Or, does it mean a PNut what works with v23 image, now fails on v24 image ?

• ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,791
    edited 2017-10-16 22:03
    Here's where i'm at:
    FPGA= V23a image, Pnut V23 and Pnut V24 work Ok.
    FPGA = V24 image, Both V23 and V24 fail to load but both versions ID(Ctrl-G) Prop2 Ok. Dave's LOADP2 works though?
    Tried 3 different PC's and multiple cables with no change.

Note: This only applies to the BeMicro-A9 image.
    edited 2017-10-16 23:05
    evanh wrote: »
    ... I've been bothered by PNut's comms stability since I got my Prop123 board. Ie: I can't use PNut for my Prop123-A9 board. The data flow is precise and complete but the handshaking is wacky.
    In particular, the Prop gets a physical reset pulse just when the main binary transmit starts.
    From memory, it's the third of three resets that occur during the whole process after pressing F11.

Too many resets, and especially a very late one could cause problems. Just one clean reset should be all that's needed ?
    Do the FPGAs have identical OSC and PLL settings ?
    I could imagine a different PLL choice locks in a different time, and if the PLL is not stable when RX starts, that could throw things.
    .... Dave's LOADP2 works though?
    Note: This only applies to the BeMicro-A9 image.

What is the reset.release-to-serial setup time on LOADP2 vs PNut ?

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,131
    Thanks for checking those resistors.

The ONLY thing that changed was that hub timing was sped up to match the number of cogs, instead of a static 1:16, as before.
    cgracey wrote: »
    Thanks for checking those resistors.

The ONLY thing that changed was that hub timing was sped up to match the number of cogs, instead of a static 1:16, as before.

It's also only one variant of FPGA, so it's likely something is slightly different on that board, so becomes marginal for PNut only.
    Faster HUB timing would move things, but not by much in comms-terms one would think.
    Can you clean up the 3? reset pulses from PNut to have one reset, with a reasonable set-up time ?
  • Chip
    I just noticed something.
    The beMicro-A9 board used to identify its version as "Prop_Ver Au" the same as the P123-A9 board.
    Now it shows as "Prop_Ver Fu".
    Not sure when that changed or if that's relevant?

I also have my own loader which loads code Ok to the V24 in the board.
    Scratching head.....

JMG,
    It's an unintentional three RTS pulses (we thought it was DTR at the time) that shows up when in Wine specifically, Peter reported it didn't occur in his tests on VM'd WinXP. I'm presuming, like me, he doesn't have any dedicated Windoze setup. I have an old Win98 laptop but PNut doesn't work on that at all.

It appears as only two resets to the Prop, since the first two pulses are close enough that the first reset hasn't finished so is just extended instead.

The question on my mind right now is maybe Oz is getting some variation of the late (third) RTS occurring.
  • Chip
    Hooray!
    I managed to get the BeMicroA9 board working with Pnut by simply moving the PropPlug away from the board.
    Works first time every time now.

Weird that the same PropPlug has been mated to this board for as long as their been images for this board.
    1184 x 2112 - 765K
    Chip
    Hooray!
    I managed to get the BeMicroA9 board working with Pnut by simply moving the PropPlug away from the board.
    Works first time every time now.

Weird that the same PropPlug has been mated to this board for as long as their been images for this board.

Strange. I wonder if a scope can catch the difference ?
    Still sounds like something is marginal, but may not be the FPGA image itself.

Well, let's think about what could be causing that. Very strange.
    I wonder if the power supply were driven with a wall pack, instead of the USB, would that make a difference?
    I wonder if the power supply were driven with a wall pack, instead of the USB, would that make a difference?
    Tried that. Made no difference.

How much 'move away' is needed ?
    Reminds me of the thread around FLiP with GPS modules, but there the RF cross talk effect has a more direct understanding.
    Here, the ground inductance and coupling will change, but surely by very small amounts.
    Do you have other USB-UART Bridges you can try ?

Ozpropdev,

Please try this version. It's just a recompile with the soft reset at D[25] for CLKSET. This change certainly jumbled things up from the last compile:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9NbgkdrupkHVUh2NmJRZXU3Wlk/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.
    Heh, wonder what happens if an earthed scope probe is clipped to the board ground. If the problem goes away then it'll be tricky to troubleshoot.
  • Red Bluff Control we have lift off!

V24a works fine with PropPlug back on board.
    Phew! :)
    Red Bluff Control we have lift off!

V24a works fine with PropPlug back on board.
    Phew! :)

Ok, but that still doesn't make sense, unless D[8] of CLKSET was '1' and a reset was occurring. That shouldn't have been the case, though. I wonder what the problem could have been.
    I posted a new version 24a at the top of this thread. No need to get it if you already grabbed (and needed) the BeMicro v24a image I posted just above.
  • I used to see something similar with P2-Hot on the Nano, but in reverse. In that case, inserting a ~4" extension cable *wouldn't* work with a prop plug, but omitting it did.

I also ended up putting 30kohm pullups on all 3 pins - RX TX and RESn, which seemed to help a bit.

Tubular wrote: »
    I used to see something similar with P2-Hot on the Nano, but in reverse. In that case, inserting a ~4" extension cable *wouldn't* work with a prop plug, but omitting it did.

I also ended up putting 30kohm pullups on all 3 pins - RX TX and RESn, which seemed to help a bit.

Yes. Pull-ups can overcome induced spikes. Even 1k ohm would be okay. Also, a cap to GND on RESn might help.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,767
    edited 2017-10-17 10:00
    Never mind I see that it's all good now...
    It's just a recompile with the soft reset at D[25] for CLKSET.

I don't see CLKSET it the google doc. What is D's encoding for that instruction?

• This recent conversation caused me to read over the BOOT PROCESS section of the documents. I have a few questions:
    1. With the fuses "removed", will the boot ROM still go through the SHA-256/HMAC steps?
    2. If the boot sequence boots from EEPROM first, how do you boot from serial once the EEPROM is programmed?
    3. Is it correct that in order to program the EEPROM, the programming tool would first bootstrap the necessary code to then take subsequent commands to perform the actual programming?
    Seairth wrote: »
    cgracey wrote: »
    It's just a recompile with the soft reset at D[25] for CLKSET.

I don't see CLKSET it the google doc. What is D's encoding for that instruction?

It's in the spreadsheet.

I'm thinking CLKSET needs to be renamed to HUBCFG, since it's used to seed the PRNG, set the digital pin filters, and set the clock mode. It has not been fully documented, yet.
    Ozpropdev, could you please try the BeMicro_A9_Prop2_v24.jic again, but with a 0.1uF cap between ground and RESn? This problem is really bugging me. We need to know why this is happening.