Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Release: PropellerIDE + PropBASIC = Fun Times! — Parallax Forums

New Release: PropellerIDE + PropBASIC = Fun Times!

Brett WeirBrett Weir Posts: 288
edited 2016-07-17 07:00 in Propeller 1
Hi there!

I know it's been awhile since you've heard from me. I've been busy trying to release a new version of LameStation, so PropellerIDE has been mostly on the back burner (except for when the kids report embarrassing crash bugs and strange behavior!).

However, a few weeks ago, you guys totally blew me away when a sizable chunk of the votes I received on the FedEx Small Business Grant Contest came directly from the Parallax forums! It was awesome! I didn't win, unfortunately, but I'm hanging in there and there will be other opportunities, but seeing you guys voting day after day was a real confidence boost and I couldn't be happier about it. So I decided to take some time away from LameStation and do a little something as a thank you for all the support.

Starting with version 0.38.4, PropellerIDE now supports Spin and PropBASIC seamlessly, side-by-side. This is possible because language-specific details and compilers have been abstracted away into pretty little config files, which also leaves open the possibility of supporting more languages in the future.

This is a major structural change, so this release may still be rough around the edges, but by and large, PropellerIDE should now look and feel like a native PropBASIC editor, on top of supporting Spin as it always has. While other Spin compilers are supported, the selection of bstc is hard-coded at present. It won't be long before openspin or other compilers can be chosen. However, PropBASIC will continue to require bstc or any other compiler supporting the @@@ extension, meaning PropBASIC is unlikely to find its way to Raspberry Pi any time soon.

In short, please take the brand new PropBASIC support for a Spin (lololol!), and let me know how it goes. Your feedback is always welcome.

https://github.com/parallaxinc/PropellerIDE/releases/tag/0.38.4

Happy Spinning!

Sincerely,

Comments

• Although I didn't vote I am glad to see some Basic Spinning Propeller action :) I will have a play sometime. Well done!
  • Wow!

Out of nowhere comes possibly the best piece of news I've heard all year.

I feel that a game changing event just occurred

Sincerely thank you Brett.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2016-07-17 09:53
    Brett,

That's awesome. Just in time to install after a 12 hour upgrade to Win 10 on this laptop!

Only one problem, I can't compile anything! The build and run buttons etc are grayed out. See screen shot:

Screenshot%20%282%29.png
    1920 x 1080 - 38K
  • Although I didn't vote I am glad to see some Basic Spinning Propeller action :) I will have a play sometime. Well done!

Happy to hear it! :)
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Wow!

Out of nowhere comes possibly the best piece of news I've heard all year.

I feel that a game changing event just occurred

Sincerely thank you Brett.

Definitely happy to hear that! :P
    Heater. wrote: »
    Brett,

That's awesome. Just in time to install after a 12 hour upgrade to Win 10 on this laptop!

Only one problem, I can't compile anything! The build and run buttons etc are grayed out. See screen shot:

Screenshot%20%282%29.png

Hi Heater! So you're on a fresh Windows 10 install. According to the screen shot, it looks like you have no USB devices connected to the system, which would then gray it out. (Though, you bring up a good point that you should still be allowed to compile when no device is attached. Noted!). I had stopped packaging FTDI drivers with the Windows installation because they kept getting flagged as a virus on (and only on) Avast, so unless you've installed them otherwise, you wouldn't have them (I have been considering including them again and saying to heck with Avast).

Have you installed FTDI drivers/connected a device?
    edited 2016-07-17 10:15
    Brett,

I played with it a bit. Turns out I can compile without any USB devices connected. Just open PropellerIDE, hit "new", type a little program in, hit the "hammer", then we get a dialogue box asking where to save the file...

This is the crucial part I can:

1) Give a file name and hit "save". In which case it gets compiled and all is good. Like below:

Screenshot%20%283%29.png

2) Not give a file name and hit "cancel" in the save as dialogue. In which case the "hammer" and other icons get grayed out and I cannot compile. As in the previous post.

Now, if I subsequently save the new file, "save as", the icons still remain grayed out.

Not only that I can't compile files that do have file names in other tabs. I have to restart PropellerIDE to get the icons working again.

It all seems to hinge on trying to compile some nameless source.

1920 x 1080 - 58K
    Brett,

This Samsung laptop has just now been upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. I don't recall now if any USB drivers were ever installed on it previously. It's a work machine so it may never have seen PropellerIDE or SimpleIDE before.

I don't have any USB devices plugged in, except keyboard and mouse.
  • Basically, I have lost interest in the Propeller and the forum, but I thought I would give the new PropellerIDE a fresh start. I decided to see how the PropBasic part is working, to my surprise, it is working seamlessly. Below is a test program for PropBasic.

@Brett
    One thing to consider, in the Help menu, maybe access to the "What is PropBasic" .pdf file should be included. Maybe at this point Bean will have an updated copy available.

So far PropellerIDE looks very good, have not run into any problems yet. Not sure how much further I will be involved.

Ray
    ' test1.pbas
    ' July 17, 2016
    ' Test of the updated PropellerIDE using seamless
    ' access to PropBasic.

' This is needed.
    DEVICE P8X32A, XTAL1, PLL16X
    FREQ 80_000_000

' This is needed.
    PROGRAM Start

' Standard blinker program, using the QS board.
    Start:
    	HIGH 16     ' Turn it on.
    	PAUSE 500   ' A half of a second.
        LOW 16      ' Turn it off.
        PAUSE 500
        GOTO Start  ' Loop

' Ends program execution, and puts cog into
    ' low-power mode.
    END

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Excellent news Brett.
    I always have thought Basic for the Prop was a good thing. Bean will be happy too!
  • I decided to do another test program to see if it was running into any problems using 'LMM' mode, seems to be working correctly. I also wanted to check out the use of 'TASK' and 'SUB', made notation in the code for 'SUB' as to where the actual code has to be located.

So far, on a Windows 7 64bit setup, PropellerIDE using PropBasic, it is working without any obvious problems. All the PropBasic fans should find this version of PropellerIDE an absolute delight to use, maybe it's to simple too use. I am using a QuickStart board for the tests, just easier to access some LEDs and maybe later some touch buttons.

Ray
    ' test2.pbas
    ' July 18, 2016
    ' access to PropBasic. 
    ' 

' This is needed.'''''''''''
    FREQ 80_000_000
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

' TASKS
    LED16 TASK AUTO   ' Start TASK(cog) automatically.
    LED17 TASK AUTO   ' Start TASK(cog) automatically.

' SUBS
    LED18 SUB 

' This is needed.''''''''''
    PROGRAM Start LMM  ' Start will run in LMM mode.
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''

' Upgraded blinker program, using the QS board.
    Start:

'    COGSTART LED16   ' Or you could manually start it.
    '    COGSTART LED17

DO
    	   HIGH 23     ' Turn it on.
           LOW 23      ' Turn it off.
           PAUSE 500
           LED18       ' Run the LED18 SUB.
        LOOP

'SUBS
    ' Looks like the SUB code has to be before
    ' the END command. I guess the SUB will be running
    ' in LMM code and not native PASM code.
    SUB LED18
    	HIGH 18     ' Turn it on.
    	PAUSE 300   ' A half of a second.
        LOW 18      ' Turn it off.
        PAUSE 300
    ENDSUB

END

' Tasks(cog) code.
    ' Tasks(cog) will run in native PASM code.
    TASK LED16
        DO
    	HIGH 16     ' Turn it on.
        LOW 16      ' Turn it off.
        PAUSE 500
        LOOP
    ENDTASK

TASK LED17
        DO
    	HIGH 17     ' Turn it on.
    	PAUSE 400   ' A half of a second.
        LOW 17      ' Turn it off.
        PAUSE 400
        LOOP
    ENDTASK

• Thanks for confirming all this Ray.

I've not had time to experiment yet, so it's sure comforting to hear about your success.

Is the code highlighting also working as you'd expect? Like, it shows up spelling errors in commands etc...
    Ooh,- and does it do code/keyword completion too? (example- So if you type LO then do you get a dropdown for LOW and LOOP)

• RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,824
    edited 2016-07-18 13:19
    Is the code highlighting also working as you'd expect? Like, it shows up spelling errors in commands etc...
    Ooh,- and does it do code/keyword completion too? (example- So if you type LO then do you get a dropdown for LOW and LOOP)

Since I am testing the .pbas file editor part, no it does not have that stuff working, although it is turned on in the preferences. Somebody else will have to test .spin file editor for the above mentioned.

@Brett, again, hopefully you will consider adding access to "What is PropBasic" .pdf to the Help menu, or something along those lines, for easy access to PropBasic stuff.

As to the keyword completion, when I use Visual Studio, that seems to be a good experience, but I have worked with other programs where it was a mess, and a hindrance to what you are doing. Be careful what you wish for.

Ray

• Rsadeika wrote: »
    Be careful what you wish for.

Good advice !!

• So, here is another program to work the touch pads on the QS board. It works, but I do not understand how it works.

Using the program below the build manager shows 952 longs, while the memory map shows 235 longs. Not sure what to make of this.

Ray
    ' Chk_pads.pbas
    ' July 18, 2016
    ' access to PropBasic.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' 
    FREQ 80_000_000

T_pads1 PIN 0..7 INPUT
    T_pads2 PIN 0..7 INPUT
    T_pads3 PIN 0..7 INPUT
    T_pad0 PIN 0 INPUT
    T_pad1 PIN 1 INPUT
    T_pad2 PIN 2 INPUT
    T_pad3 PIN 3 INPUT
    T_pad4 PIN 4 INPUT
    T_pad5 PIN 5 INPUT
    T_pad6 PIN 6 INPUT
    T_pad7 PIN 7 INPUT

Init_pad SUB

PROGRAM Start LMM

Start:
        DO
        Init_pad  ' Initialise pads
    ' Check for pad touch, and then ...
        IF T_pad0 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 16
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 16
    		ELSEIF T_pad1 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 17
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 17
    		ELSEIF T_pad2 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 18
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 18
    		ELSEIF T_pad3 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 19
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 19
    		ELSEIF T_pad4 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 20
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 20
    		ELSEIF T_pad5 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 21
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 21
    		ELSEIF T_pad6 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 22
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 22
    		ELSEIF T_pad7 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 23
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 23
    		ENDIF
        LOOP

END

SUB Init_pad
    ' Initialise the pads. ''''''
    ' This is the magic part, surprised it works.
        HIGH T_pads1 
        HIGH T_pads2 
        HIGH T_pads3  ' Charge pin
        INPUT T_pads1 
        INPUT T_pads2 
        INPUT T_pads3  ' Switch pin capacitance
        PAUSE 30       ' Wait the delay time
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    ENDSUB

• Heater. wrote: »
    Brett,

I played with it a bit. Turns out I can compile without any USB devices connected. Just open PropellerIDE, hit "new", type a little program in, hit the "hammer", then we get a dialogue box asking where to save the file...

This is the crucial part I can:

1) Give a file name and hit "save". In which case it gets compiled and all is good. Like below:

Screenshot%20%283%29.png

2) Not give a file name and hit "cancel" in the save as dialogue. In which case the "hammer" and other icons get grayed out and I cannot compile. As in the previous post.

Now, if I subsequently save the new file, "save as", the icons still remain grayed out.

Not only that I can't compile files that do have file names in other tabs. I have to restart PropellerIDE to get the icons working again.

It all seems to hinge on trying to compile some nameless source.

Ahhh, I know what's going on. The logic that decides whether or not those buttons should be grayed out has seen some code rot and really needs some scrubbing. I'll jot that down on the list of things to fix. =o
    Heater. wrote: »
    Brett,

This Samsung laptop has just now been upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. I don't recall now if any USB drivers were ever installed on it previously. It's a work machine so it may never have seen PropellerIDE or SimpleIDE before.

I don't have any USB devices plugged in, except keyboard and mouse.

That's surprising, haha. Who knows, maybe it comes with some drivers already? If you're not able to download, that's something I would try though.
    One thing to consider, in the Help menu, maybe access to the "What is PropBasic" .pdf file should be included. Maybe at this point Bean will have an updated copy available.

Good thinking! I overlooked that on this release, but I'll drop one into the menu when I get the chance.
    ... maybe it's to simple too use...

Ahahaha, it's too simple?? I'm happy to hear it. =P
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    ... does it do code/keyword completion too? (example- So if you type LO then do you get a dropdown for LOW and LOOP)

Code completion does not work for PropBASIC at present. The way it's implemented at present, it relies on certain trigger keys like "." and "#" to pop up suggestions. I want to introduce a completer that uses the whole project model as its data source and can make suggestions regardless of the context, but that is another project.
    Rsadeika wrote: »
    As to the keyword completion, when I use Visual Studio, that seems to be a good experience, but I have worked with other programs where it was a mess, and a hindrance to what you are doing. Be careful what you wish for.

Such a completer would also be non-blocking (unlike how you have to escape from it currently), as I find it annoying that PropellerIDE forces you to make a decision of whether to use a completion whether you asked for it or not.
    Rsadeika wrote: »
    Using the program below the build manager shows 952 longs, while the memory map shows 235 longs. Not sure what to make of this.

Oops. Memory Map is something I overlooked when doing this. I haven't tested it at all for PropBASIC, so I wouldn't trust what it's telling you for the time being. I'll look into that though. :D

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,924
    edited 2016-07-19 13:38
    I worked very closely with Bean on SX/B, and used it many personal and professional projects before the Propeller came down to a price-point that I could work with. But I never really go on board with PropBASIC because -- for me -- it was a bit of headache to deal with. Not the language, but it's a compiler in need of a proper IDE. Finally, it has one.

Well done Brett and Bean!

When I received a message from Brett vis-a-vis the integration of PropBASIC into PropellerIDE, I gave it a quick try and was happy. Today, though, I opened a substantial app and was absolutely thrilled -- this really is a game changer for those who want to program the Propeller in BASIC. I love that the details panel shows my attached libraries in a collapsible form, and clearly identifies subroutines, functions, constants, and even IO pins.

Again, well done Brett!

I'm sure this is just the beginning, and now that PropBASIC has a proper IDE, my sense is that Bean will be working to improve PropBASIC and add more features. Likewise for Brett working out any kinks we come across while re-exploring PropBASIC through PropellerIDE.

Exciting times for the Propeller.
    1920 x 1080 - 647K
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    Brett, THANK YOU!!!!

I've been very busy at work and haven't had time to be on the forum much. When I get a chance I will try out PropellerIDE, but it looks fantastic!!!

Bean
  • Bean wrote: »
    Brett, THANK YOU!!!!

I've been very busy at work and haven't had time to be on the forum much. When I get a chance I will try out PropellerIDE, but it looks fantastic!!!

Bean

Love the new Avatar!

So, here is another program to work the touch pads on the QS board. It works, but I do not understand how it works.

Ray
    ' Chk_pads.pbas
    ' July 18, 2016
    ' access to PropBasic.

FREQ 80_000_000

T_pads1 PIN 0..7 INPUT
    T_pads2 PIN 0..7 INPUT
    T_pads3 PIN 0..7 INPUT
    T_pad0 PIN 0 INPUT
    T_pad1 PIN 1 INPUT
    T_pad2 PIN 2 INPUT
    T_pad3 PIN 3 INPUT
    T_pad4 PIN 4 INPUT
    T_pad5 PIN 5 INPUT
    T_pad6 PIN 6 INPUT
    T_pad7 PIN 7 INPUT

Init_pad SUB

PROGRAM Start LMM

Start:
        DO
        Init_pad  ' Initialise pads
    ' Check for pad touch, and then ...
        IF T_pad0 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 16
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 16
    		ELSEIF T_pad1 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 17
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 17
    		ELSEIF T_pad2 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 18
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 18
    		ELSEIF T_pad3 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 19
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 19
    		ELSEIF T_pad4 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 20
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 20
    		ELSEIF T_pad5 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 21
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 21
    		ELSEIF T_pad6 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 22
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 22
    		ELSEIF T_pad7 <> 1 THEN
    			HIGH 23
    			PAUSE 1000
    			LOW 23
    		ENDIF
        LOOP

END

SUB Init_pad
    ' Initialise the pads. ''''''
    ' This is the magic part, surprised it works.
        HIGH T_pads1 
        HIGH T_pads2 
        HIGH T_pads3  ' Charge pin
        INPUT T_pads1 
        INPUT T_pads2 
        INPUT T_pads3  ' Switch pin capacitance
        PAUSE 30       ' Wait the delay time
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    ENDSUB

Init_pad sets the pins as HIGH outputs to charge the pads then immediately switches the pins to inputs. Any pad being triggered will test as “<>1“
  • I have been using(testing) PropellerIDE and PropBasic for the last couple of days, and I have not run into any major problems, so far.

A couple of questions, what version of PropBasic is being used and is there some up to date documentation for it? I know many months back Bean mentioned that he had a version, but was unable to include it with BST, so their might be some confusion as to what the latest and greatest version of PropBasic is.

Also, I think everybody is aware of the lack of drivers for PropBasic, as the situation improves, will those be included with the distribution of PropellerIDE, the way it is done with OBJ files for Spin? Probably a different discussion could occur as to what these driver files would look like, and how they could be used.

Now, for those of you who have not tried PropBasic on PropellerIDE, it is as simple as, hit New, name the file .pbas, once you have your basic program entered, hit Run, and it should be running your program on your favorite Propeller setup.

Ray
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,278
    edited 2016-07-20 12:04
    Hey Brett

Compiled some PropBASIC code and all ok. Actually including a really complex program which even VP couldn't handle!! So all VERY ok :)

However.... now I'd like to revert PropellerIDE to allowing compilation of traditional spin code... How to do that?
    I'm getting compiler errors, so I guess the compiler choice needs to be changed back to spin language, but PropellerIDE GUI doesn't seem to allow that?

(not sure if this has been covered elsewhere- I thought I saw you mention something about the compiler choice being stuck at the moment... but cannot find that message!)
  • However.... now I'd like to revert PropellerIDE to allowing compilation of traditional spin code... How to do that?
    I'm getting compiler errors, so I guess the compiler choice needs to be changed back to spin language, but PropellerIDE GUI doesn't seem to allow that?
    Hmm, maybe now I have to back pedal on my simple to use claim. Maybe it is not as seamless as it appears to be, if you have to start making compiler switches in the preferences. At worst, at least PropBasic has a functional IDE. I guess, now we have to wait and see what happens next. As I mentioned before, my primary interest was in a functional PropBasic environment.

Ray
  • I really like the details panel -- especially that it shows external libraries as collapsible elements, and that subs, funcs, vars, and IO pins are marked. That said, yesterday I went back to a project and most of the details panel was missing. I tried re-opening and it didn't make a difference.

I'm sure this is a minor snag and will be worked out; I just wanted to bring it to your attention.
  • Hi Ray- don't back pedal too far... :)

This is a very first release and as Jon suggests these minor snags will be worked out. And like Bean and Jon before him, Brett is doing this on his own time.

Overall my initial experience has been great and I think yours too. I also like the collapsible navigation menus on the left- I find that very logical and efficient. Let's all hope they don't vanish for long !!

For users only interested in PropBasic then what I mentioned doesn't really matter. In the meantime I could use PropellerTool to compile what I needed in Spin.

My feeling is that if the community can feedback any oddities here, and keep some active buzz going, then odds are good that Brett will remain encouraged to fix up these snags as spare moments appear! And this is already a workable solution for me, immeasurably better than what I had a week ago.
  • if you have to start making compiler switches in the preferences

That's not my experience. The compiler is selected based on file extension -- save as .spin and you get the Spin compiler; save as .pbas and you get the PropBASIC compiler. Remember that BSTC is an external editor hence a file as to be saved to be passed to it.
  • However.... now I'd like to revert PropellerIDE to allowing compilation of traditional spin code... How to do that?
    What do you mean by "traditional", using the original Spin compiler, or the openspintool compiler, or what?

I just tried a quickie Spin program, New -> .spin -> hit run, and seems to be working for me, with no errors. And yes it did use Brads Spin Tool Compiler v0.15.3, for the job. I believe Brett mentioned that when openspintool compiler is able to handle @@@, then he would be using that for everything.

So, at the moment, PropellerIDE uses Brads tools to compile Spin and PropBasic programs, and it does work seamlessly. I guess what we have now is PropellerIDE(BST Lite) tool, since I do not have a Linux setup, I cannot say anything about it working correctly on that setup, let alone a Raspberry Pi.

Ray
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,278
    edited 2016-07-20 14:16
    Interesting.

By traditional code I meant regular spin code. It wasn't over complex stuff, but it did include some Flight Controller libraries (local copies in the project folder). The code used to compile with PropellerIDE on that machine right up until the moment my mind wandered and I thought I'd update to the new PropellerIDE and give PropBASIC a test, which seemed flawless to me.

After that the spin code would no longer compile, and I quickly reverted to PropTool to finish the job I was doing. Sadly I didn't have time to investigate further, but when I'm next at the test bench I will try again and figure out exactly the issue as clearly this might not be an issue for every install.

What Jon said might be something (about saving before compiling) if PropellerIDE doesn't handle that automatically. Time will tell.

Edit: hmm-- maybe not that, as at the time I did save, and also tried rebooting and opening the file from the hdd without making changes.... anyway, save this for later!

BTW, I was using WinXP on a netbook at the time- ie. not Linux.

More to follow...!
  • Brett,

I noticed (at least on Mac OS X) that Propeller IDE is using bstc for .spin compiles, but the executable for openspin is also included within the app package. I get that bstc allows @@@ and since PropBasic emits @@@, there's good reason to have bstc available. But, shouldn't the Preferences panel allow me to use the openspin compiler for my .spin files (a personal choice, I know!)?

CompilerChoices.jpgCompilers.jpg

I really prefer to use a compiler whose source code is available/maintained/etc when I can (I get that PropBasic needs bstc for the interim and it's a smart decision to make bstc the default compiler for the .spin that PropBasic emits). So, can the Prefs panel allow me to switch spin compilers?

Thanks for all your hard work (having PropBasic available in an excellent IDE is a fantastic option)!
    dgately
    623 x 484 - 52K
    390 x 216 - 19K
  • I am not trying to be funny, but I can't immediately see the advantages of programming the Prop in basic as opposed to spin or C.
    Could one of you experts please explain the advantages of basic, as you see it.
    I am sure I am missing something!
    Thanks in advance.