Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Erco's Zeppelins — Parallax Forums

Erco's Zeppelins

ercoerco Posts: 20,254
edited 2016-06-02 01:09 in General Discussion
And now for something completely different...

I'm in talks with a certain SoCal airship maker and scanned some old pics from my 1996 bike trip through Germany to Zeppelin for our conversations. Thought I'd share since there are a few other airship fans here (can we please start a Zeppelin page?). I was an airship nut since I saw the 1972 film "Zeppelin" in my formative years, and I was all set to move to Germany to work for Zeppelin after I heard they were back in the airship business. They were just starting construction on their first 'NT' prototype, and I got a full tour of their facility. I had a surprise for them, I had built a flying model of their new 3-fin airship, which I had been carrying it on my Bavarian bike tour for a few hundred miles and lots of cobblestone streets. I started in Munich and took the scenic route down the Romantic Road to Neuschwanstein castle and into Austria a bit. Fortunately the model survived the trip and not surprisingly, was major hit once we filled it with helium from their welding shop. Certainly one of the best days in this nerd's life and a childhood dream come true for me. There's a pic of me of me holding my model next to their much larger proof of concept model. And a pre-trip pic of the model in my kitchen next to a Hearoid robot. I was a bachelor then and since I ran the Munich Marathon on this trip, I was in heaven: running, biking, robots & zeppelins. What else is there? OK, girls & beer, which were plentiful in Germany.

Here's the funny part. They were targeting a first flight on July 2, 2000, exactly 100 years after Count von Zeppelin's first flight. As might be expected, they missed that date, but they had a celebration and press conference in the hangar at the not-quite-ready airship. I wasn't there, but they flew my model around and inside the zeppelin framework at the press conference. This nerd was gushin'.

In a related story, I live just a few miles from the Goodyear blimp (woo hoo), which will be replaced later this year by a Zeppelin NT. The mountain finally came to erco!

Sorry for the diversion, we now return to our regularly-scheduled microcontroller discussions.

(Four photos attached)

4.jpg 1.9M
3.jpg 1.9M
2.jpg 926.8K
1.jpg 887.8K

Comments

• Wow! Livin' the dream! Is there anything on your bucket list that you haven't done?

-Phil
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2016-06-01 22:05
    I often think of this story. So cool!

I think you know I'm a big fan of lighter than air ships though I have yet to build one myself. I do have a couple rolls of aluminumized plastic.

As I mentioned in another thread, the domain "RedZeppelin.com" was too rich for my blood but I am the proud owner of Zeppelin.red. I figure my future airship will need to be red.

I'm hoping I can repurpose a few quadcopter motors and produce enough thrust to move a big red airship through the air.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Wow! Livin' the dream! Is there anything on your bucket list that you haven't done?

-Phil

Taking a class from PhiPi the great, natch!

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Fantastic memories Erco!
    Thanks for posting. Love to hear some of these stories.
  • Zeppelins are cool, great story.
  • Awesome story, Erco!
  • Cool story, erco! I'm glad I can live vicariously through you!

We don't live too far from the Air Dock in Akron (home of the Spirit of Akron). So we see the blimp every so often. We used to see it more from our previous house - we were on the flight path between the Air Dock and downtown Cleveland and it would fly over our house when it was covering Indians or Browns (they are supposed to be a professional football team, I hear) games. Our dog used to bark at it all the time trying to keep it out of her airspace.

Wingfoot Two now flies out of Akron. It's not really a blimp anymore but when you see it overhead, you still think "Goodyear blimp".

Prior to a blimp returning to Akron (1989, I believe), I used to often work at Goodyear Air Wheel & Brake which is on the same property as the Air Dock. On several occasions we were able to go into the dock and observe the weather. It in itself is an amazing building. (I'd provide links but my Google is broken!)

I think airships are a great compromise between the total leisure of a hot air balloon and the break-neck pace of a well maintained Piper Cub!! :D ...hold on, the new Zeppelin's can probably outpace most Piper Cubs with their insane top speed of 78mph!!
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Prior to a blimp returning to Akron (1989, I believe), I used to often work at Goodyear Air Wheel & Brake which is on the same property as the Air Dock. 's can probably outpace most Piper Cubs with their insane top speed of 78mph!!

I took a plant trip to Akron/Goodyear Wheel & Brake for an interview in '82 when I was graduating (the first time I ever flew in a jet!). It was not a real sexy job, but I did get a tour of the hangar. IIRC the guy said they only open the doors once a year for the employee picnic, and it takes a few hundred dollars in electricity to move them!

Speaking of Ohio, I'm a bachelor for a week since the wife & kids are visiting family in Milford. I have a few hot jobs I'm jamming on, and that Cricket robot is a major distraction. Had to put it aside in lieu of a paying job. For now anyway.

• AWB was not a sexy place to work. Up through '88, their main office space, at least for the IT folks, was mostly unchanged from probably WWII and the 50's and 60's. The workspace for engineers and technical people was pretty much large rooms filled with rows and rows of metal desks with a few wooden ones for good measure. You would be sitting at a large metal desk butted up next to another desk (and another person). No dividers, no cubicles, just your 30x60 inch desktop (or whatever it measured). Managers would have a closed off "office space" that may just be walls (no ceilings). It was weird.

I mostly hung out in the computer room which was also interesting because it was technically a mezzanine, being hung from the roof. One day when I was there, we had an earthquake...who knew a mezzanine could swing so much compared to the ground floor! It was an interesting sensation.
    Desk to desk, sounds just like my time at Pratt & Whitney GPD in Florida, the job I took instead of Goodyear!
  • I've seen the Goodyear blimp. It was an amazing site.

Oddly enough in a separate thread, people are constructing a thread to help the one named after a kerosene fired contraption visit the US. As it happens NASA Ames came up. That site is one dedicated to lighter then air flight, in honor of a Navy Admiral who had similar interests.

The blimp makes a perfect observation platform, but for my money, I'd rather they ignore the football games......
    ----
    Odd, no robots were involved in the writing of this message.
    Why is it that I can't see the 4 pics in my initial post? Can YOU see them?
  • erco wrote: »
    Why is it that I can't see the 4 pics in my initial post? Can YOU see them?

I can see them, but I have not been able to see Youtube postings lately. I have to go to my $60 WIN10 tablet to see them with Edge.

edited 2016-06-03 00:29
    I'm using Chrome, maybe that has something to do with it.

Edit: I can't see 'em in IE11 either. Hmmm...
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    I see them in Chromium (on Debian) just fine. Great story, erco.
  • I can see them in Chrome on my Samsung tablet.
  • I can see them fine.
    --
    Still no robots involved here.
    Thanks for confirming. I only see them occasionally. Weird stuff.
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    How about a lighter than air vacuum cleaner?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_airship

A while back I came across an article about lighter than air materials that sort of act like aerogel's but are strong enough for structural use... something like this: industrytap.com/new-material-lighter-air-strong-enough-build-planes-cars/21247

An article that I can't find is one that talks about trapping helium instead of air inside the materials to make them both structural and lighter than air. There is a hobby base to making the stuff... sort of complicated... high vacuum pressures mixed with heat, but some guys are doing it.
    rjo__ wrote: »
    An article that I can't find is one that talks about trapping helium instead of air inside the materials to make them both structural and lighter than air.

There's Flogos...

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2016-06-03 19:01
    mindrobots,
    AWB was not a sexy place to work. Up through '88, their main office space, at least for the IT folks, was mostly unchanged from probably WWII and the 50's and 60's. The workspace for engineers and technical people was pretty much large rooms filled with rows and rows of metal desks with a few wooden ones for good measure. You would be sitting at a large metal desk butted up next to another desk (and another person). No dividers, no cubicles, just your 30x60 inch desktop (or whatever it measured). Managers would have a closed off "office space" that may just be walls (no ceilings). It was weird.
    This sounds awfully familiar.

I worked, for a year or so, on the team that tested the Primary Flight Computers of the Boeing 777. Writing test scripts for the test rigs connected to PFC boxes.

We worked in an aircraft hanger on the GEC-Marconi Avionics site in Rochester in the south of England. Adapted for "office space". That hanger had been built in WWII for the manufacture of Lancaster bombers or some such. It was a protected historical building.

All the furniture in there, metal desks and all, seemed to date from WWII. No windows of course.

Some years earlier I worked at the Marconi Radar research labs in Great Baddow in Essex. The situation there was much the same. Amzing 3D phased array radar technology being developed in a museum!

On site was one of the original WWII radar towers.

http://greatbaddow.org.uk/info/great-baddow-tower

On of the lead engineers used to disappear for ages. Turned out he would climb up that tower to a shed on a platform halfway up. To get some quiet time to think.

Now I recall....

Back in 1970 something whilst at my father home in Canterbury, England, one day I heard this amazing rumbling noise from outside. What on Earth is that? Then I decided it sounded like an airship. Not that I'd ever seen one but it had that sound you get in the movies and such. Cannot be.

Looking out the Window I found it was a Goodyear blimp flying very low and slowly directly over the house. Amazing !

That would have been the Europa.

A few pics at http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?53789-Europa-Airship
    Oh yeah. That looks like the thing.

I once drove past the airship hangars at Cardington. They are huge!

It was kind of funny because one had it's doors wide open and inside, floating in the middle of the huge space, was what looked like a really tiny blimp. I think that was something by Airship Industries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airship_Industries

Yes sir, I also biked to the Cardington sheds on the same 1996 jaunt when I visited Zeppelin. They ARE huge, and there's another museum there, the Airship Heritage Trust. Curator Dennis Burchmore gave me a wonderful tour.
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    "There's Flogos..."

I wonder how many people would look at FLOGOS and NOT smile...

It has to be some form of emotional pareidolia... you
    know like seeing faces in the clouds... but on an emotional level.

Why do we like white fluffy things?

Good example of what I was talking about... just add structure integrity.

Now for a question that will be easy for you but I have thought about for a couple of years...
    Why don't airships have airfoil shapes? Seems like it would be easier to land them... just get negative buoyancy and land it like an STOL plane.

Why not?
    I guess it's because an airship never reaches a high enough speed that any aerofoil shape would be able to generate any lift. It would just be a permanently stalled wing.
    edited 2016-06-04 09:11
    It's more of a scale thing, they are so big that it looks like they are moving slowly. But actually at 80+ mph, significant dynamic lift was generated by the big ships by raising the nose a few degrees. There were lots of tricks involved in adjusting lift. For long missions, they could carry extra weight/supplies by taking off in the evenings. The helium inside was still warm from the day's sun (superheat) and could lift more as the evening air outside cooled down. Akron & Macon would usually take off without any airplanes aboard, those would hook on after the ship was moving and could generate dynamic lift. On some occasions they were flying too buoyant (dropped too much ballast, burned tons of fuel, sun heated the helium, etc) and in order to avoid releasing expensive helium, they would use negative lift, dropping the nose to generate down force to descend. But then they can stall upward when they slow down to land. Sadly, Akron killed 2 ground crew in San Diego in 1932 in this well known newsreel when it did just that, stalling upward and carrying 3 sailors who didn't let go of their ropes. Two fell off, and one hung on for two hours until hauled aboard.

edited 2016-06-04 11:00
    Good point. I guess 80mph is going to enable creating some lift.

On the other hand it's also going to create a lot of drag on such a huge thing.

I've seen that news reel footage before, terrifying.

That vid is blocked here. But here we go: