Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using the L3G4200D Gyroscope with another board. — Parallax Forums

Using the L3G4200D Gyroscope with another board.

fake_backflipfake_backflip Posts: 3
edited 2015-08-18 07:33 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hello All,

I am new to electronics, so please bare with me. The I2C protocol available with the Gyroscope is compatible with other boards that can supply the voltage. Correct? That is the whole point of it being an interface. How fast will I be able to detect motion? Say I am rotating this gyroscope in an up and down motion varying by 20 degrees. Please know that this rotation is not rotating upon any of the axis. It is rotating about the edge of the chip, not its center. This up and down motion happens 5 times per second? Will I be able to detect all those jerks? The spec sheet is not clear because it specifies a 200 degree per second change.

Thank you,

Fake Backflip

Comments

• Yes, the sensor can be used with any microcontroller capable to using I2C or SPI (I don't think there's a microcontroller not capable of using at least SPI).

According to the datasheet the sensor can output data from 100Hz to 800Hz. I think the rate is dependent on the sensitivity setting.

A gyro will tell you how fast something is rotating, it won't tell you the orientation of the sensor. It's possible to add up the rotation speed data and kind of come up with an idea of the sensor's angular position but this sort of technique quickly accumulates errors.

Depending on the specifics of your application, an accelerometer may be a better sensor since it can be used to detect how much an object is tilted if the object is stationary. Often a combination of accelerometer and gyro is used to figure something's orientation.
  • Look up Kalman Filter and Complementary Filter. These can fix some of the issues Duance mentioned.

I used a Complementary Filter on the Prop with good results.