Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
CY14V101PS, 1-MBIT (128K X 8) QUAD SPI nvSRAM WITH REAL TIME CLOCK — Parallax Forums

CY14V101PS, 1-MBIT (128K X 8) QUAD SPI nvSRAM WITH REAL TIME CLOCK

dMajodMajo Posts: 855
edited 2015-08-29 13:32 in Propeller 2
CY14V101PS, 1-MBIT ( Family summary / Roadmap )

I hope that the new P2 will not have any issues booting from this device in QuadSPI (or at least SPI for the first stage bootloader to switch than to QuadSPI in the second stage)

Considering the Cypress wafer/die program it will be also nice if, after the first release, an enhanced P2 package could integrate both the dies: the P2 and the Cypress one).
Perhaps the Cypress die could be internally wired (QSPI, RTC interrupt (int/sqw) and power lines) to the P2 one and these IOs (pins) that becomes now free on the package can be used for the RTC function (Vrtcbat, Vcap, Xi, Xo, int/sqw)
Considering low-volume applications/fields where the profit margins are good I will take the combo chips even if they costs twice the two ic purchased individually.

Comments

• I believe JMG has been cheerleading for something like this (not the MCM).

MCM is just not going to happen, too expensive I believe.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    dMajo wrote: »
    I hope that the new P2 will not have any issues booting from this device in QuadSPI (or at least SPI for the first stage bootloader to switch than to QuadSPI in the second stage)
    Hopefully, the Serial streaming and smart pins will be able to support nibble-wide and Byte wide Serial memories.
    dMajo wrote: »
    Perhaps the Cypress die could be internally wired (QSPI, RTC interrupt (int/sqw) and power lines) to the P2 one and these IOs (pins) that becomes now free on the package can be used for the RTC function (Vrtcbat, Vcap, Xi, Xo, int/sqw)
    I'd rate nvSRAM WITH REAL TIME CLOCK a tad niche, and costly for a dual-candidate.

Companies that do offer dual-die packages, tend to include low cost SPI flash.
    - The Nuvoton NU505 is one example.
    http://www.nuvoton.com/export/sites/nuvoton/files/product-related-information/NUC505_EN.pdf
    Has a choice of 512K or 2M Bytes of Serial Flash and 128K on Chip RAM.
    FS, HS USB and 24-bit Audio CODEC

Prices are showing on models with 2MB (512K will be cheaper)
    NUC505DL13Y 48 pin 2000+ $2.40
    NUC505YO13Y 88 Pin 1344 + $3.20
  • @jmg: I understand that storage only solutions could be cheaper but this has a series of CPU support functions like RTC, wakeup interrupt, watchdog interrupt ... and having a one chip part (cpu+non volatile storage+rtc+watchdog) comes very handful in industrial and domotics(home/building automation) fields.
    These are niche markets and the profits are high enough to support the higher cost of the otherwise much smaller part.
    Presently I am using a FM31L278+P1+external ADC. The combo P2 could replace the three parts. Smaller as possible (not the mC but the whole application) and not power hungry are the requirements.

But in any case this is only a wish.

• The Prop is a niche of a niche.
    Its already going to be hard enough to find uptake among current volume customers as it is, not too mention making it more expensive.