Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Run ActivityBot C Code in the Arlo! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Run ActivityBot C Code in the Arlo!

2»

Comments

• NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2014-05-23 13:28
    Dear Andy,

Could you explain something about the “drive_setMaxSpeed(int speed)” Function on ArloDrive library please?

On help text you write: “Modifies the default maxiumum top speed for use with encoders. The default is 128 ticks/second = 2 revolutions per second (RPS). This is the full speed that drive_distance and drive_goto use. This value can currently be reduced, but not increased. Speeds faster than 128 ticks per second are "open loop" meaning the control system does not use the encoders to correct distance/speed”

I think that 128 is wrong. I think that “128” is right only for the ActivityBot, because ActivityBot has a 32-Position encoder, so 1 revolution=64 ticks and 2 revolutions =128
    On the other hand the Arlo robot has a 36-position encoder so 1 revolution =72 ticks and 2 revolutions= 144ticks. So the maximum speed for Arlo must be 144. Have I right?

EDIT:
    Sorry I forgot the RPS ( revolution per second ) but again for the Arlo robot I can’t found max speed 128 ticks/sec. To be more precise, taking into account the RPM (rotations per minute) and the encoders’ positions for every motor I ended up that the max speed for EDIE robot with the new 36-position encoders is 180 ticks/sec (with the old 9-position encoder is 45 ticks/sec), for ARLO robot is 120 ticks/sec and for theActivityBot 192 ticks/sec

attachment.php?attachmentid=108825&d=1400968749
    Nikos
  • ChrisL8ChrisL8 Posts: 129
    edited 2014-11-07 07:29
    Is there any plan to further develop the Propeller C libraries for the Arlo? Things still missing are full use of the quadrature encoders and some of the functions.
  • I tried using the code in the zip file with the arlo and HB-25. My encoder counts are increased automatically ones I give a velocity command and drive_speed can't drive the motors for values less than 100, I successfully ran the calibration code.
  • ratmcu wrote: »
    I tried using the code in the zip file with the arlo and HB-25. My encoder counts are increased automatically ones I give a velocity command and drive_speed can't drive the motors for values less than 100, I successfully ran the calibration code.

Can you post your code?
  • TCIIITCIII Posts: 81
    edited 2022-04-22 20:25

Hi All,
    I realize that this is a very old thread, however it has very valuable information for pairing a PAB WX with HB25s, Arlo Wheel Encoders, and the older Eddie/Arlo Motor/Wheel assemblies.

I recently replaced the Eddie Motor/Wheel assemblies on my ArloBot, which itself is somewhat dated, with the Arlo Motor/Wheel assemblies to improve the ArloBot's mapping capability when using Rviz.

So I now had the Eddie Motor/Wheel assemblies laying around and decided to build a telepresence robot for my garage workshop.

All I needed was some ABS material for a chassis, a PAB WX, a pair of HB25s, which I had in my parts box, a pair of Arlo Encoders, which again I had in my parts box, a 12 vdc battery, and some miscellaneous hardware.

I have a copy of the "Arlo IR Controlled Nav and Talk with WAV" which I am using to test my resurrected Eddie/Arlo robot chassis.

After building the chassis and wiring up the electrical components, I started out trying to run the "Arlo Calibrate.c" program to calibrated the Arlo Encoders, but SimpleIDE kept throwing compiler errors. It turns out that the "libsimpletools" folder was very out of date having been generated around 2013. So I swapped it with the "libsimpletools" file from the "Properller-C-Learn" folder and was able to compile and download "Arlo Calibrate.c" to the PAB WX. The "Arlo Calibrate.c" program ran to completion without an issue and I now have the Arlo Wheel Encoders calibrated.

The whole idea of this exercise is to see if I can control the Eddie/Arlo robot chassis over WiFi using the Parallax WX ESP8266 WiFi Module and then move on to using ROS to control the Eddie/Arlo robot chassis as was done with the ArloBot I mentioned above. Fortunately for me the author of the ArloBot software, Chris Lofland, created PAB WX C code for controlling the Eddie/Arlo Motor/Wheel assemblies with the HB25s as well as the DHB-10 Motor Controller.

So we shall see. More to to come.

Regards,
    TCIII