Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
error: load fail — Parallax Forums

error: load fail

PliersPliers Posts: 280
edited 2015-03-12 09:47 in Learn with BlocklyProp
My first time trying out the Simple IDE, learning some C.
It drove me batty at first, I thought I had a bunch of bad USB cables.
The IDE would intermittently say "Build Failed. Check build status for error."
The build status window says " error load fail".
I tried different USB ports and different cables.

I went back to the Propeller tool, had no load fails. All my cables good, all USB ports good.

So I go back to Simple IDE. It builds correctly about 40 % of the time.
The IDE will intermittently say "Build Failed. Check build status for error."
The build status window says " error load fail".

Here is the servo project I was working on. But it does not matter what code I'm using. I get the same problem when running the basic sample files.
//Simple Project.c
#include "simpletools.h"
#include "servo.h"
int main()
{
servo_speed(0,100);
pause(5000);
servo_stop();
}
I'm getting ready to do another Propeller demonstration, how do I explain this?

I did two demos the last month, the code was all done with the Propeller Tool.
I really wanted to do my next project in C.

More information... Quick Start board with the Human interface board and a 12 volt DC power supply.
Latest FTDI USB driver from Parallax.

If I can find another Prop board I'll give it a try. I loaned out most of my boards to the club last month.

Comments

• dgatelydgately Posts: 1,621
    edited 2015-03-08 11:09
    Pliers,

"error load fail" is a generic error message that could imply lots of different issues. SimpleIDE provides an option in the Help menu "Build Error Rescue" that will allow you to copy the entire error message for the latest build/load. Can you please paste that information into this thread. That could help forum readers in determining the particular error that you are receiving.

Also, what kind of system are you running SimpleIDE on (Win, Mac, Linux?). What version of SimpleIDE are you running?

As a last resort, you could set the "Loader Delay" option to 1 or 2 seconds to see if that helps (unlikely). That option is under the General TAB of SimpleIDE's Properties window.

dgately
  • PliersPliers Posts: 280
    edited 2015-03-08 11:14
    DGATELY, thanks for the input.
    I'm running under Windows7. I installed the latest SimpleIDE yesterday. I'll try the loader delay and make a copy of the "Build Error Rescue".
    I tried the loader delay, it made the simpleIDE unresponsive. I had to exite the program and reload SimpleIDE.

Here is the Build Error Rescue.
    Project Directory: G:/PropellerC/SimpleIDE/

SimpleIDE Version 1.0.2
    G:/PropellerC/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/
    G:/PropellerC/SimpleIDE/ Updated on: 2015-03-07

propeller-elf-gcc.exe -v GCC 4.6.1 (propellergcc_v1_0_0_2408)
    propeller-elf-gcc.exe -I . -L . -I G:/PropellerC/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools -L G:/PropellerC/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools/cmm/ -I G:/PropellerC/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext -L G:/PropellerC/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext/cmm/ -I G:/PropellerC/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c -L G:/PropellerC/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c/cmm/ -I G:/PropellerC/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Motor/libservo -L G:/PropellerC/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Motor/libservo/cmm/ -o cmm/Steve Servo3.elf -Os -mcmm -m32bit-doubles -fno-exceptions -std=c99 Steve Servo3.c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lsimplei2c -lservo -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lsimplei2c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lm -lsimpletools -lm
    propeller-load -s cmm/Steve Servo3.elf
    propeller-elf-objdump -h cmm/Steve Servo3.elf
    Done. Build Succeeded!

propeller-load.exe -Dreset=dtr -I C:/Program Files (x86)/SimpleIDE/bin/../propeller-gcc/propeller-load/ -b ACTIVITYBOARD cmm/Steve Servo3.elf -r -p COM6Propeller Version 1 on COM6
    error: load failed
    Propeller Version 1 on COM6

edited 2015-03-08 11:36
    Ok. It seems to be with the Quick Start board.
    I changed to a Propeller Activity Board.
    I tried a bunch of times, and there have been no errors.

Interesting though. The quick start board worked every time under the Propeller Tool.
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,621
    edited 2015-03-08 12:20
    Pliers wrote: »
    Ok. It seems to be with the Quick Start board.
    I changed to a Propeller Activity Board.
    I tried a bunch of times, and there have been no errors.

Interesting though. The quick start board worked every time under the Propeller Tool.

I'm not a Windows user (well, a little), so forgive, please... So, the QS is on COM6, what port is the Activity Board showing up on? I do recall posts discussing higher numbered ports not working so well on some systems (just a thought... probably a very red herring).

To get more information, you could execute the load instruction in a terminal or with the Run command window to see if there is more detailed results:
    propeller-load.exe -Dreset=dtr -I C:/Program Files (x86)/SimpleIDE/bin/../propeller-gcc/propeller-load/ -b QUICKSTART cmm/Steve Servo3.elf -r -p COM6

That 'might' give you more information...
    propeller-load.exe -Dreset=dtr -I C:/Program Files (x86)/SimpleIDE/bin/../propeller-gcc/propeller-load/ -b QUICKSTART cmm/Steve Servo3.elf -r [U][B]-S[/B][/U] -p COM6

That gives a 5 microseconds delay...

dgately
    edited 2015-03-08 13:22
    The Propeller activity board shows up as COM 10.

Anyhow, I'm not going to worry about this. I'll use the Activity board.

Thanks for your insight and input.
  • Courtney JacobsCourtney Jacobs Posts: 903
    edited 2015-03-09 08:33
    Pliers,

SimpleIDE usually defaults to setting its Board Type as ActivityBoard. You can change this by opening the project manager pane (button in bottom left of the screen) and clicking the Board Type dropdown, then scrolling to QuickStart.

See the SimpleIDE PDF help file (under the Help menu), page 17 and 26 for more information.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2015-03-09 09:28
    I suggest using a 10K pull up on REV A Quickstart boards.
    This has been fixed on REV B Quickstart boards.

attachment.php?attachmentid=113425&d=1425918027
    700 x 487 - 430K
    edited 2015-03-09 09:36
    Jazzed, thanks a bunch!

Courtney Jacobs, I'll double check my IDE settings. Thanks.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2015-03-09 09:51
    jazzed wrote: »
    I suggest using a 10K pull up on REV A Quickstart boards.
    This has been fixed on REV B Quickstart boards.

attachment.php?attachmentid=113425&d=1425918027
    I guess this doesn't bite everyone with a Rev A board. I have several that have never given me any trouble. I suspect this question will come up frequently though since all of those cheap QuickStart boards from Radio Shack that people have been picking up recently are Rev A boards. Also, the ones Parallax is selling for $14.95 are as well.
  • Alex.StanfieldAlex.Stanfield Posts: 198
    edited 2015-03-12 09:47
    I've got repeating problems using a Rev A with SimpleIDE when downloading the binary but never with the Propeller Tool.

The pullup solved the problems

Thanks!

Alex