Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using TCS3200-DB with BS2OEM — Parallax Forums

Using TCS3200-DB with BS2OEM

mrsparklemrsparkle Posts: 12
edited 2015-02-26 15:19 in Accessories
Hello,
I have recently acquired the task of detecting the color of a bi-color LED, and I was thinking of using the TCS3200-DB (Parallax 28302) interfaced to a BS2 OEM. The LED has 2 colors, green (565nm) and yellow (590nm), and I would need to detect whether the LED is green, yellow, or OFF. The sensor could be fixtured to be within about 1/2" of the LED but it will be viewing from the side, not the top. Has anyone tried such a thing before? WOuld it work with the BS2 OEM or should I try something else?

Thanks,
MrSparkle

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-02-26 07:14
    That might work if there is not much ambient light or the ambient light could be blocked. Wouldn't it be simpler to use the voltage on the led pins to determine that, or is it a case of the led pins being inaccessible.
  • mrsparklemrsparkle Posts: 12
    edited 2015-02-26 07:56
    Hi kwinn,
    You guessed it, the pins are inaccessible. I guess I could just buy the sensor and try it, I just wanted to make sure there was no problem with using the BS2 OEM for testing.

thanks,
    MrS
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,745
    edited 2015-02-26 11:47
    Starting on page 235 of WAM 3.0 is an activity that uses LEDs wired backwards to detect light and color.
    http://www.parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/28123-Whats-a-Micro-v3.0.pdf

What about diverting the light to your sensor using a light-pipe?
    I see light pipes used in electronic products all the time.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2015-02-26 15:19
    mrsparkle,

Genetix is spot on about eliminating ambient light. This would work best if a person doesn't actually have to see the LED. Then you could completely shroud it so that the sensor would respond only to the illumination.

-Phil