Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SimpleIDE Tabs observation — Parallax Forums

SimpleIDE Tabs observation

WildatheartWildatheart Posts: 195
edited 2015-01-09 21:02 in Learn with BlocklyProp
An earlier version of SimpleIDE permitted multiple tabs to be opened with a simple click on a selection under the "File" menu. Opening multiple tabs seems now to be an option under the "Projects" menu item, "Open tab to project". When selected, this takes you to a list of projects titled "Add Tab" with the options to /SAVE/ or /CANCEL/. Then we have to confirm a "Save" to open the new selection.

I really don't want to save anything at that point, I just want to open the selected file. I am curious if anyone else finds this a bit confusing.

Often times I don't want to open a 'tab to the current project', I just want to open an unrelated project for observation or to possibly do some cutting and pasting. Perhaps this isn't as confusing as I'm making it out to be.

Comments

• Hal AlbachHal Albach Posts: 747
    edited 2015-01-07 15:25
    How I do it in Windows 7 is to right click on the toolbar, click on "FILE" to add file functions to the toolbar, then click on open file. This will let you open another file and drag some goodies out of it and paste 'em into your project. The opened file is not associated with your project. There are times I might have 5 or 6 files opened to gather the goodies. When you no longer need them just click the X in each tab.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2015-01-07 15:38
    Add Tab etc... are for adding files to the current project. May I suggest learning more about those features by reading the user guide?
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,704
    edited 2015-01-07 15:47
    Oh @jazzed,

Documentation is there to be written and demanded. Not to be read.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • WildatheartWildatheart Posts: 195
    edited 2015-01-07 16:43
    Thanks, Hal Albach. Simple enough.

msrobots wrote: »
    Oh @jazzed,

Documentation is there to be written and demanded. Not to be read.

Enjoy!

Mike

@msrobots

Should we begin to incorporate your response as a starting point for 95% of the questions being asked in this forum?
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2015-01-08 09:47
    Maybe someone should request that the file menu be put back into simple view and the "Tab" things be removed. That Is unlikely to happen though since parallax requested those changes in the first place.

The "earlier version" of simpleide is still there but not the default view by request of parallax because it is considered an advanced mode that only experienced programmers could possibly understand. Now of course there are only a few ways to find that.
  • Courtney JacobsCourtney Jacobs Posts: 903
    edited 2015-01-08 10:22
    This is a forum for people who have questions; sometimes these questions have more obvious answers to some people than to others.

Responses that could be construed as mocking or rude should not be posted, and are not welcome. Watch the tone of your replies, please.
  • WildatheartWildatheart Posts: 195
    edited 2015-01-08 12:23
    All’s well with the world. Hal Albach’s response describes a perfect work-around for the “Open File” menu item found in previous versions. Simple IDE is and will remain a VERY USEFUL tool with or without the work-around. No changes are being requested.

The question I posed in post #5 relates only to the post #4 response. It has happened more than once that I’ve been too close to the forest to see the trees. Obviously, there is already a written answer to most questioning threads posted here, but the high standards of this forum makes every (new) member feel welcome to ask regardless.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2015-01-08 17:47
    Courtney,

Although I agree with your plea for civility, I feel I must respectfully take issue with the following quote from jazzed:
    May I suggest learning more about those features by reading the user guide?

If the user interface is less than intuitive, the onus for a remedy lies with the developer, not with the user.

-Phil
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2015-01-09 12:42
    Andy Lindsay has since showed me what changed. To get things to work as they did before there is an option in the preferences menu which must first be turned on. I believe Andy planned to describe this so I will allow him to come in and do that. As a note, the OP contacted me in support regarding the change and I was unable to help him get things back, so I asked him to post here hoping the developers could provide that response. We'll wait for Andy.
  • edited 2015-01-09 21:02
    The feature Wildatheart asked about is called Project View. This view is no longer actively supported by Parallax because it was designed to be used by a small and advanced group during Propeller GCC testing. In classroom tests, some of its features caused beginners to get stuck without understanding why. So, a new Simple View was created and made the default. It supports the same variety of projects without any traps for new users.

Instructions on how to enable and switch to Project View are in the SimpleIDE manual, which can be opened by clicking SimpleIDE's Help menu and selecting SimpleIDE User Guide (PDF). Look for the section entitled Project View (advanced users).

For an illustrated explanation of how SimpleIDE's default Simple View handles multiple projects and what's happening when you have multiple tabs in a single SimpleIDE window, go to our newly created page:

http://learn.parallax.com/C/about-simpleide-windows-projects-tabs-and-files
This discussion has been closed.