Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to approach software based composite video in P1+ - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

How to approach software based composite video in P1+

2»

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2014-05-04 19:15
    @Cluso, I linked Eric's drivers above. When he and I were tinkering with P1 video, a few different ideas fell out of that, plus he made a very nice all software driver that generates very good color signals given the coarse P1 DAC. That one should port over very nicely, IMHO. Some of that came from looking at how older computers did graphics, and other ideas came from various ways NTSC can be exploited to get lots of colors from just a few bits of DAC capability.

PAL is less forgiving in some ways, but... it's also exploitable in some other ways. That never got done much on P1 just because it never really output a great PAL signal. Maybe this time... :)

I kind of like the idea of adding the two signals together electrically. Right now, I'm setting up on P1 to attempt that, and running some code to get timings and test a few things. It's been a while.
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2014-05-04 19:58
    potatohead wrote: »
    I kind of like the idea of adding the two signals together electrically. Right now, I'm setting up on P1 to attempt that, and running some code to get timings and test a few things. It's been a while.

Yes I like that idea too.

I think Bill Henning used to output s-video at one point, if I remember correctly.

FWIW I've decided to make a small Si504 oscillator board, about same size as HC49 crystal, so we can retrofit a flexible oscillator to xtal pluggable boards, and control its frequency from a servo connection
    edited 2014-05-04 20:50
    Yes, his "Propcade" board had an S-video connector on it. P1 does have a VCFG option to output the chroma on start_pin+3, which is what was used on Bill's board.

On P1, this two DAC thing can be roughly simulated with two COGS, each using the coarse video DAC, synchronized. One nice thing about doing it that way is the ability to run the monochrome channel at pretty high resolution, optionally toggling the colorburst, and then running the color channel at a more modest resolution. Let the TV circuits sort it all out, and given smooth signals, it's going to look pretty great.
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2014-05-04 21:05
    1cog idea
    vga mode on 4 pins. for luminance/sync
    Use counterB as a phase-shiftable 3.579545 MHz square wave to pin 5, use 3 lowpass filters in series to create something close to a sine wave.
    Instead of a 5mhz crystal, use a 3.58 or 7.15909 Mhz ? as powerof2 will be jitter free.
    4.43361875 or 8.86724Mhz for PAL

While 4 pixels are displaying (low resolution) using %%4321
    You have time to make 2 changes to PHSB to change its phase.
    So 4:2 resolution that is pretty much the norm in NTSC broadcast anyway, but harder to bitmap
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2014-05-04 21:13
    Thanks potatohead, Phil, Tony, etc.

While PAL was better (more scan lines) than NTSC, monitors and tvs here (in OZ where we are PAL) have all been capable of doing NTSC for more than a decade. So perhaps PAL is no longer a requirement, since it is harder to implement.

The P1 sure made it easy to do NTSC color. It would be nice to have at least something simple to generate at least one composite color signal.

potatohead: interested to hear how you go with the tests.
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2014-05-04 21:35
    Yes I found a tv about to be thrown out that *doesn't* do NTSC, so I've hung onto it for PAL reference purposes
    edited 2014-05-04 22:01
    I had one of those... PAL sets are hard to get where I live. Next best thing is a capture card, and those tend to make way too many compensations for realistic testing.
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2014-05-05 16:47
    If it's best to generate YC separate, combining them with a 470pF cap could work.

But I think a dedicated summer + driver is best, this one is 3.3v and is under $1 (0.65mm msop8).
    It got SAG so you can use 100uF+22uF caps as that is cheaper/smaller than a single 470uF
    http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=NJM2274R-TE1virtualkey51310000virtualkey513-NJM2274R-TE1
    datasheet: http://www.njr.com/semicon/PDF/NJM2274_E.pdf

This IC don't need any output caps at all as it generate negative 0.3v, but it does NOT come in a YC mixer version unfortunately.
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Analog-Devices/ADA4431-1YCPZ-R7/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutXGli8Ay4kOSwB%252bAxEb%252baTuPzCYAIkKM%3d