Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Great uses for P1+ — Parallax Forums

Great uses for P1+

SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
edited 2014-05-05 11:34 in Propeller 2
Did anyone else read the main article in the latest Elektor, which is about "3D" touchless gesture control, and immediately think this would be a "killer app" for the P1+? I'm fairly confident that the P1+ could replace the entire arduino/shield stack AND do the number crunching on board!

It makes me wonder what other new ideas/products are popping up that have made others think "it would be so much better with a P1+!"

Comments

• Jack BuffingtonJack Buffington Posts: 115
    edited 2014-04-24 20:32
    If/when the new prop come out, I'll be putting it to use for vision system stuff. It should have enough power to deal with low-resolution video up to about 640x480 depending on what needs to be done. Of course, I'm going to start playing around with the propcam connected to a prop 1 in a couple of weeks. Even at its really low resolution, it should be enough to do lots of useful vision-based things. I'm also interested in some audio aspects as well. I tried using the Prop 1 for my audio application but I maxed out on processing power. That shouldn't be a problem with the new one Basically, I'm excited about finally having a processor that has a completely free compiler and gobs of processing power yet isn't complicated by a ton of peripherals that each require hours of reading the data sheet to learn how to configure.
  • markmark Posts: 252
    edited 2014-05-05 11:16
    Not long ago, I read an article regarding the Toyota Prius unintended acceleration fiasco, and it had been determined that it was caused due to a stack overflow in the RTOS trashing some very important variables right above the stack. It may seem mundane, but I see a huge potential for the P1+ in critical systems such as automotive/aviation engine/body controls, largely eliminating the need for an RTOS currently in use in many of those systems. Such uses seem like the most natural fit for the new Propeller.
  • koehlerkoehler Posts: 598
    edited 2014-05-05 11:25
    [QUOTE=mark
  • markmark Posts: 252
    edited 2014-05-05 11:34
    koehler wrote: »
    Not sure. Seems like their would have to be a significant amount of 'verification' for any chip used in a system such as this.
    Not saying it can't happen, however as a relatively unknown in the Auto Manf. industry I doubt as something of an unknown quantity if it would be probable unless Parallax did a lot of race and other low-level proofing?

I wouldn't know either. All I'm saying is that the design seems well suited for such uses. If Parallax made headway in that market, it could be a huge win for them.