Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum Decorum — Parallax Forums

Forum Decorum

rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
edited 2014-04-08 20:44 in Propeller 2
I expect things to smooth out now that we have a firm direction. But since one forum member has been upset enough to think about leaving,
this might be a good time to remind everyone that when we are arguing in a personal way, at least part of our brains can't function correctly.
The sympathetic nervous system goes into alert and the body is prepared for combat.

That is how anger works… anger is there to focus the brain on the job of immediate self preservation. It is linked to language in us, because during
our evolution, language often precedes aggression. In the end, anger is anger, regardless of what caused it.

Young people rarely think that simply being angry all of the time might shorten our lives by 25 years. Anger can cause heart attacks and strokes.
It can make diabetes more difficult to manage.

Be happy:)

Comments

• 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2014-04-07 10:47
    rjo__ wrote: »
    I expect things to smooth out now that we have a firm direction. But since one forum member has been upset enough to think about leaving,
    this might be a good time to remind everyone that when we are arguing in a personal way, at least part of our brains can't function correctly.
    The sympathetic nervous system goes into alert and the body is prepared for combat.

That is how anger works… anger is there to focus the brain on the job of immediate self preservation. It is linked to language in us, because during
    our evolution, language often precedes aggression. In the end, anger is anger, regardless of what caused it.

Young people rarely think that simply being angry all of the time might shorten our lives by 25 years. Anger can cause heart attacks and strokes.
    It can make diabetes more difficult to manage.

Be happy:)

Thanks for this post! I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and relax a little.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-04-07 11:43
    rjo__ wrote: »

Could you post where this happened?
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2014-04-07 11:45
    ...this would also be a good time for everyone to re-read the Forum Guidelines:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/134682-Forum-Guidelines

Stay cool people. The Parallax Forums are still one of the safest Forums around, and I think we'd all like to keep it that way.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2014-04-07 11:57
    We have a wide range of experience and knowledge among our forum members. What may be undo criticism or an attack to one person may be seen as a differing opinion and a contribution to the discussion by another person. As moderators, we try to keep a light touch (except for spam) and understand that forums have limitations in the way conversations are carried out that make it difficult to understand each others' intentions. As davejames said, stay cool, be generous, assume the best, etc.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2014-04-07 12:01
    I'm tuning out for a little bit. Nothing personal toward anyone. I've not had a bad experience either.

We just took a hard right turn, and people are all over the place about it!

Time for a big breather!
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2014-04-07 12:08
    Make it a little one:) I was personally stunned when Chip stated the 100MIPs figure for a cog… holy cow.
    And then I had a few hundred questions myself. But Chip can't talk and work at the same time. So,
    this might be a good time for lots of folks to take a little break.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2014-04-07 12:09
    Why was the VERY important thread that had no problems yet, locked? Shouldn't the thread be left unlocked until it has a problem?

I have data for Chip that should go in that thread. Moderation here seems to be broken/backwards. Sorry, but locking for review and stifling important replies is backwards!
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-04-07 12:25
    Funny things forums. Often what we read is not what is meant. Conversely what we write is not understood the same way at the other end. Given that we are crossing language and cultural barriers that is hardly surprising. What is a friendly jibe to me might be a horrible insult to you and so on. I haven't seen anything particularly bad going on in these threads. But then I'm a bit thick skinned and tend to ignore anyone who thinks I'm an idiot, they are obviously to stupid to understand right:) You might have heard about the terrible way Linus Torvalds deals with people on the Linux mailing lists, for example, I giggle at that because in my experience that's how Finns speak to each other, no beating about the bush and politely suggesting this or that, no, straight to the point. It should not be taken so personally, just get with the program and everything is OK.

I guess Roy, you have been greping that library of OBEX code you test openspin with. I'd love to see the results of course.
    edited 2014-04-07 12:38
    In that case I would make a perfectly fine Finn. Real conversation is just the way I like it.

Yeah, Linus just unloads, picks up the pieces, no worries, onward! Love it.

Regarding a tune out, yeah, not long. I feel really good about the design refactor. We will be just fine.

I want to mentally reset, then pick up on an FPGA image and have fun coding. Looks like I'll want a software TV driver. :)

Re: Chip Yeah, he's amazing. Complete refactor in way shorter time than one would expect. And it's sane. Impressive.
    edited 2014-04-07 12:54
    Heater,

I'm with you on all counts. In my experience it is almost impossible to write anything and not have it misunderstood by someone.
    You would think that writing would be difficult to misinterpret… but it is actually the exact opposite.
    One of my favorite teachers was really prickly… to everyone, all the the time. Everyone knew it and everyone liked it.

Maybe the key is to be consistent… if a guy feels a little prickly most of the time, maybe he should be a little prickly to everybody… all the time.

Rich
    edited 2014-04-07 13:01
    Yes, writing is really tough.

One good reason for meetups. Emotional context, as well as frequent visual context (talking with hands done by some people, and often women) adds what would be paragraphs to written text.

Benefit of the doubt rules. Which is why I deleted a long and sucky response to Phil yesterday. I totally read him wrong and didn't catch it until a few posts later.

Of course my sig contains how I want to play it...
    edited 2014-04-07 13:23
    Now I am feeling guilty.

I ask one innocent little question… and they closed the thread again… that's a joke!
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2014-04-07 13:37
    Actually, I thought the comment about closing the thread was a joke, but when I tried to post about it I found that it actually was closed.

Potatohead, I'm confused. Are you already back from your break, or are you making a few extra posts before you take your break? I hope this question wasn't too insensitive. It seems we must be very careful about what we say these days. Oh, was that comment insensitive? I think I need a break so I can take some sensitivity training. :)
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-04-07 13:44
    rjo__ wrote:
    Now I am feeling guilty. I ask one innocent little question… and they closed the thread again… that's a joke!
    That thread hasn't been closed again. People are still posting there.

-Phil
    edited 2014-04-07 13:58
    A little idle chatter on this one made sense.

I am tuning out for a bit on the overall new chip discussion. :)

You know that I know that you know everybody knows we know things can be a little confusing at times, particularly given I know that you know that everyone knows how sensitivity seems difficult to know, you know?
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2014-04-08 16:29
    I haven't liked the tone on recent posts. Too many insults. Thanks for the reminder to step back and reengage with civility. This forum is a community. Disagreements are ok, but lets debate them on their merits and sometimes, agree to disagree.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-04-08 16:43
    I think we are good now. Had a couple of PM's and the world is happy now!

Was it a full moon? :)

Jim
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-04-08 17:13
    Publison wrote: »
    I think we are good now. Had a couple of PM's and the world is happy now!

Was it a full moon? :)

Jim

Nope, just a half. We got 7 days or so... stand by to moderate!!
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2014-04-08 18:14
    What happens around here sometimes is a bit like a form of grief. You can get a wide range of reactions, all "valid", when expectations shift, before things settle down to the norm again. Sometimes those expectations are even un-written - there was next to no debate about power consumption before Chip posted his 5 watt thread.

The 8 years or so of back-history to this project make it all the more interesting to be a part of. Thankyou, moderators for all your work behind the scenes.

There's always the option (albeit expensive) of sending all the forumistas to Mexico for a month.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,704
    edited 2014-04-08 20:44
    +1,
    Tubular wrote: »
    What happens around here sometimes is a bit like a form of grief. You can get a wide range of reactions, all "valid", when expectations shift, before things settle down to the norm again. Sometimes those expectations are even un-written - there was next to no debate about power consumption before Chip posted his 5 watt thread.

The 8 years or so of back-history to this project make it all the more interesting to be a part of. Thankyou, moderators for all your work behind the scenes.

There's always the option (albeit expensive) of sending all the forumistas to Mexico for a month.

You need to add -without internet connection...

Enjoy!

Mike