Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
prop2gcc? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

prop2gcc?

2»

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2013-09-24 13:05
    The multi thread build really flies on my Mac. I got times in line with what Jazzed did.

Easy path is to just get Xcode. Install all of it and you are set.

I didn't find it hard at all. The Mac issue for older OS X versions is all about adding arguments to the build system, which nobody had done. So you need to build it for the older versions on the older versions, or get the build scripts updated.

Apple charges for older Xcode access. A quick trip to your favorite peer to peer transfer program will remedy that quickly.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-09-24 14:05
    Heater. wrote: »
    12 minutes!

I just finished building propgcc on the Raspberry Pi.

It took something over 20 hours!

Ya, RPi is quite slow, but cheap of course.

Any of my Linux VirtualBox builds on Win7 with the same "./jbuild.sh 6 rm-all" command is around 12 minutes.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2013-09-24 14:20
    Well, crudely we can assume:
    The Pi takes 6 times longer because we only have one core.
    It takes 10 times longer because in general I have noticed it's raw compute speed is a tenth of a core on my PC.
    That's 60 times 12 minutes or 12 hours.
    Then, I was compiling with source and build directories on an NFS share, surely not as fast as a SATA connected SSD.

Not bad really.

By the way, that reminds me. The "arm" architecture detection in the SimpleIDE build script does not work. It fails to detect ARM and tries to run 6 jobs at once. That causes it to run out of memory and die.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-09-24 14:33
    Heater. wrote: »
    By the way, that reminds me. The "arm" architecture detection in the SimpleIDE build script does not work. It fails to detect ARM and tries to run 6 jobs at once. That causes it to run out of memory and die.

Ok, well at least I tried.

Can you produce a working variation?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2013-09-24 22:43
    Jazzed,

We could use a regualr expresion comparison like so:
    UARCH=`arch`
    UNAME=`uname -n`
    if [ `uname -s` = "msys" ]; then
        JOBS=
    else
        if [[ "${UARCH}" =~ .*arm.* ]]; then
            echo "It's an ARM"
            JOBS=-j2
        else
            echo "It's not an ARM"
            JOBS=-j6
        fi
    fi

Seems to work on my pi and x86.

Not sure if the pi will handle -j2, I'll have to try. Or get a new 512MB Pi:)
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2013-09-25 20:26
    I love you guys... in a perfectly heterosexual kind of way. I would love to go the build route (except that I would have to flood this thread with cries for help)...but just as we were having this conversation, my antiquated mac mini decided to have hard disk problems.

I spent my day and all of my available attention on my grand-two year old. Except for the jailbreak of my black lab, Piper, who somehow managed to climb a six foot fence.

When Grandma got home, I went to the Micro Center in Westmont, Il. and got myself a fresh Mini with Mountain Lion installed. My plan for the old unit is to install a SSD and use it on my automatous wheelchair project. My plan for the new unit is to dedicate it to my universal camera controller/P2/SimpleIDE project. By the way, there was no-one in the Apple alcove. And the Parallax section had absolutely no errata drawing you to the products, no-one to answer questions, and the best packages were piled up on the top shelf, so you couldn't tell what they were or what they cost.

When I had to go to the Microsoft pavilion to ask for assistance, the store manager arrived, in sort order package was waiting at the front desk.

When I got home, I had a modest little drink, which (because of the naive state of my liver) precludes any further work.

I'll check back in when my liver catches up to my brain.

Rich