Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
looking for docs of an experiment board from 1994 — Parallax Forums

looking for docs of an experiment board from 1994

prousselotprousselot Posts: 12
edited 2013-09-13 00:49 in General Discussion
Hi,

everything is in the title. I have the board shown on this link, and I am looking for the corresponding doc, in particular the J3 connector.

http://www.mindresearch.com.hk/product/e27900.htm

Thanks in advance

Philippe

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-08-30 17:52
    Welcome to the forums!

WOW! That's a blast from the past. My Parallax support CD's only go back to 2006.

I can't tell by the photo, but you may be referring to one of the DB9 connectors?

The schematic for the current Board of Education may help.

http://www.parallax.com/downloads/board-education-schematic

http://www.parallax.com/downloads/board-education-serial-version-product-guide

• ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2013-08-30 17:58
    I expected it to be a Basic Stamp Activity board (for which I have paper docs), but alas it isn't. Never seen that one. You might have to wait for Ken to weigh in.

I'll add that board to my Parallax WANT list, along with a Toddler and a Stamp Bug!
    edited 2013-08-30 18:08
    erco wrote: »
    I expected it to be a Basic Stamp Activity board (for which I have paper docs), but alas it isn't. Never seen that one. You might have to wait for Ken to weigh in.

I'll add that board to my Parallax WANT list, along with a Toddler and a Stamp Bug!

Yea, when you get that robotic conveyor to store the stuff. Maybe ask Myth Busters if they have one or two racks in their warehouse? :)

Going vertical is good for me. Got to check the local ordinances.
    edited 2013-08-30 18:10
    Seriously, Maybe Chris from Parallax might have something. May have to wait till Tuesday.

Jim
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2013-08-30 23:02
    Aha. That's a BASIC Stamp Experiment Board from our distributor ChipCad in Hungary, circa 1995 and sold for $129 for quite some time. Was very popular for some early educational institutions.

The documentation consisted of a two-page schematic. And yes, I should be able to find it either on our network or from Tamas Holman at ChipCad in Hungary.

Will need through Monday, but will try to find it sooner if time permits.
  • prousselotprousselot Posts: 12
    edited 2013-08-31 01:10
    Hi,

Thanks all for your answers. I almost found nothing on the internet besides a link to a company selling it for 250$ ! I got it around 96-98, and yes probably for 129$. the part I am looking for concerns the motor driver.

I went to the chipcad website but too many strange words with plenty of z to find what I need if it is still on the website.

no hurry anyway.

Philippe
    edited 2013-09-10 08:45
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Aha. That's a BASIC Stamp Experiment Board from our distributor ChipCad in Hungary, circa 1995 and sold for $129 for quite some time. Was very popular for some early educational institutions.

The documentation consisted of a two-page schematic. And yes, I should be able to find it either on our network or from Tamas Holman at ChipCad in Hungary.

Will need through Monday, but will try to find it sooner if time permits.

Hi Ken,

Were you finally able to find some doc concerning this board ?

Thanks

Philippe
    edited 2013-09-11 10:04
    Hey prousselot -

I've scoured our network and I can't find any documentation for this product. The reason will probably surprise you, but here it goes.

Back in 1994/1995 we didn't have much of an internet presence. Products shipped with printed documentation and it wasn't until around 1996 when Jeff Martin started loading our web site with documentation. I remember this board quite well - the documentation consisted of a single page or two of schematics. There were no code examples for the board. Chances are the only documentation was the one that shipped with the board and we never had a copy on our network.

There's one more solution I've yet to eliminate. The board developer was Tamas Holman of ChipCad (I am pretty certain about this) so I've sent him a message asking if he can get us a copy of the documentation. If he comes through I'll be sure to post it on this forum thread.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    edited 2013-09-11 10:07
    Wait!

Somehow Chris Savage was able to produce the attached document from the bowels of our network. This might be what you're looking for - a scan of something very old but seems to be what I remember the documentation to look like. If nothing else it should be an entertaining document to review and a reminder of the way things were done before we really developed high standards.
    edited 2013-09-11 10:28
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Wait!

Somehow Chris Savage was able to produce the attached document from the bowels of our network. This might be what you're looking for - a scan of something very old but seems to be what I remember the documentation to look like. If nothing else it should be an entertaining document to review and a reminder of the way things were done before we really developed high standards.

Thanks Chris and Ken. I'm going to put the pdf in my "Parallax Time Machine" folder in case it comes up again.'

Such service to search documentation for a product that was not even produced at Parallax is unheard of.

Jim
    edited 2013-09-11 10:46
    Publison wrote: »
    Thanks Chris and Ken. I'm going to put the pdf in my "Parallax Time Machine" folder in case it comes up again.'

Such service to search documentation for a product that was not even produced at Parallax is unheard of.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. You're paying out our currency right now. On behalf of Parallax I thank you for the compliment.
    edited 2013-09-12 00:36
    Hi everybody,

Ken and Chris, thanks you so much for your help. Indeed it is the doc I was looking for.

I got an old thin client with a nice power supply, I removed the motherboard and put the board on the top of the case. I will derived the power supply to the usb connector on the case so I will be able to feed the board. I will also put a LCD panel the uVGA and a small digit keyboard. now, I just have to figure out how to program a stamp from a rasbery py and my son will have a nive all in one experimentation board.

Thanks again

Philippe
    edited 2013-09-12 08:57
    I have a more recent version from Tamas Holman in Hungary. Dokumentum_0404_0001.pdf
    edited 2013-09-13 00:49
    Hi Ken,

even when solved Parallax find a better solution to a problem !

Thanks

Philippe