Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PNut/Spin2 Latest Version (v44 -Data Structures Added, New Methods for Memory Testing/Manipulation) - Page 39 — Parallax Forums

PNut/Spin2 Latest Version (v44 -Data Structures Added, New Methods for Memory Testing/Manipulation)

Comments

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,351
    edited 2021-02-18 16:54

Using PropTool 2.5, I can't seem to compile code that contains any OBJs with debugging enabled. (Yes, I do have an _CLKFREQ set)

Highly helpful message.

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,131
    edited 2021-02-18 19:59

Wuerfel, I think Jeff was making DEBUG the default situation, but there were some ramifications he didn't consider.

For now, try putting a '_clkfreq = 10_000_000" in every object to satisfy the 10 MHz requirement. That'll probably solve the problem, but we will fix the tool.

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,910
    edited 2021-02-18 22:14

Just updated to 2.5.0. Debug windows pop up then immediately disappear. I am running Chip's examples, not my own code.

• AribaAriba Posts: 2,682

@JonnyMac said:
    Just updated to 2.5.0. Debug windows pop up then immediately disappear. I am running Chip's examples, not my own code.

I think they don't disappear, but go into background. If you make the PropTool Window smalller, you see the windows. For sure that's nor how it should work.

Andy

• Thanks, Andy, that was it. I tried Alt-Tab to find them earlier, but they're actually part of the main app so that wasn't helpful.

I talked to Jeff this evening and he found a few things which he fixed, but there is still something left to solve. He'll be back on it tomorrow.

• @JonnyMac - this started happening to me too, late in development (like the last few hours before release). I didn't know what caused it but now I think I do, so I'll try to resolve that.

• Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 751
    edited 2021-02-20 03:02

@Wuerfel_21 @JonnyMac @Ariba - I've fixed both of these issues in the v2.5.1 release.

I just posted a new v35i which has a command-line DEBUG-only mode that is useful for presenting DEBUG data and displays from applications that have been programmed into the flash. Your application could spit out DEBUG commands from a non-critical cog and if you ever wanted to tune in and see what it's doing, just do this command line:

PNut_v35i -debug {CommPort if not 1} {BaudRate if not 2_000_000}

• I frequently get a "Communications stalled due to system problem" after an F7 or F11 in the new Prop Tool 2.5.1.

Not always, but quite a bit. I will get the attached messagebox twice after a compile & download with F11.

The code still seems to download and run.

I went back to the 1.3.2 version of the Prop Tool with the same hardware and I get no errors.

I have repeated this on the following...

• 32812 Proto Board Rev A
    • 32810 Proto Board Rev C
    • 32123 Flip Rev A
    • Propeller Pro Dev Board Rev A

I've done it with a few different USB cables and both direct from my laptop's USB ports as well as through a 7 port hub. All with the same results.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with 64GB Ram.

• Thanks @JimFouch2 . I checked with Jeff, and he's currently working on a fix for this situation. Expect a new release soon!

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,910
    edited 2021-03-05 16:48

[deleted] See Jeff's post (below)

• @JimFouch2 said:
    I frequently get a "Communications stalled due to system problem" after an F7 or F11 in the new Prop Tool 2.5.1.

Thanks! We've had a few reports of this and even more this week. Yesterday I determined the cause of the problem and am working on the fix today. There's a logged issue for it here.

I can confirm that in most cases the error condition is bogus and the Propeller was actually programmed successfully. You can see more detail in the issue above, but in summary, the Propeller Tool is sending the proper payload but is "timing out" too early (after end of payload but before Propeller can respond).

• @"Jim Fouch" & @VonSzarvas - The communication stall issue has been resolved in release v2.5.2

In addition, it includes enhancements to make using Debug mode more natural:

• Leaving Debug mode enabled while compiling a P2 project which does not include executable DEBUG() statements will automatically result in a compile-without-debug; a message will indicate "(No DEBUGs)" on the status bar
    • The Debug mode enabled/disabled state is remembered between sessions

As before, Debug mode can be toggled on/off (by pressing Ctrl+D or selecting its menu item) for cases where you do/don't want the debug subsystem active in your P2 project.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,091

Chip,
    Just noticed you've got a labelling imbalance with P_INVERT_IN and P_INVERT_OUTPUT. I presume that wasn't intentional. Propose changing to the shorter P_INVERT_OUT.

edited 2021-03-09 00:42

@evanh said:
    Chip,
    Just noticed you've got a labelling imbalance with P_INVERT_IN and P_INVERT_OUTPUT. I presume that wasn't intentional. Propose changing to the shorter P_INVERT_OUT.

Thanks, Evanh. There was some rationale behind this, maybe that it wasn't exactly OUT, but the OUTPUT, that was getting inverted.

I would like to use the shorter name, but I think I didn't because of some reason.

Okay, same reasoning for the input then? maybe change P_INVERT_IN to P_INVERT_INPUT.

@"Jeff Martin" said:
    @"Jim Fouch" & @VonSzarvas - The communication stall issue has been resolved in release v2.5.2

In addition, it includes enhancements to make using Debug mode more natural:

• Leaving Debug mode enabled while compiling a P2 project which does not include executable DEBUG() statements will automatically result in a compile-without-debug; a message will indicate "(No DEBUGs)" on the status bar
    • The Debug mode enabled/disabled state is remembered between sessions

As before, Debug mode can be toggled on/off (by pressing Ctrl+D or selecting its menu item) for cases where you do/don't want the debug subsystem active in your P2 project.

This version still uses Ctrl-Alt-1 and Ctrl-Alt-2 as shortcut keys for the Templates, which makes it hard to use with some european keyboard layouts. Because the problem doesn't seem to be a high priority for Parallax, I searched the shortcut keys in the EXE file and found you need to change the following addresses with a hex editor (only for v2.5.2):

0049B6F0: C0 -> 40
    0049B7C2: C0 -> 40

This modifies the shortcuts to Ctrl-1 and Ctrl-2.
    Andy

• isn't ALTGR the equivalent of ALT-STRG on a German Keyboard?

lost my last one years ago

Mike

edited 2021-03-09 12:45

isn't ALTGR the equivalent of ALT-STRG on a German Keyboard?

AltGr = Alt+Ctrl is used on many keyboards to type special characters that are not available otherwise. See my description here:
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1517945/#Comment_1517945
    Just imagine the shortcut would be Shift+2, then on an US keyboard you get a new tab with a template, every time you type a @. That's exactly what happens with my swiss keyboard with the current Alt-Ctrl-2 shortcut.

Andy

• yeah, but ALTGR-1 should work for CTRL-ALT-1, or not?

Mike

• Is there any particular reason for the _STACK and _FREE constants not being handled in Spin2?

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    Is there any particular reason for the _STACK and _FREE constants not being handled in Spin2?

I need to implement them.

• Another annoyance that should be easy(tm) to fix: It is not possible to include any OBJs into a pure-PASM program. I just want to include some constants without having to copy them. Could that be made possible?

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    ... I just want to include some constants without having to copy them.

At the source code level, like the #include that flexspin offers, right?

• That'd work, too, but I'd prefer to just have the OBJ available as in spin

OBJ
      mmap : "something.spin2"
    DAT
    org

long mmap.SOME_CONSTANT

"OBJ" means you have a Spin2 object with all the internal structure of an object. This is just for Spin2 programming. For PASM, we'd need an "include" mechanism.

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    Another annoyance that should be easy(tm) to fix: It is not possible to include any OBJs into a pure-PASM program. I just want to include some constants without having to copy them. Could that be made possible?

Yes, I agree that we need some way to include code. This is on my to-do list.

• Is it just me or does the DEBUG window have some kerning issues? (This is in PropTool and not even the latest version, so sorry if it's already fixed)

The rightmost column is actually rompc. but the broken kerning makes it look like "rampc"

• Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 751
    edited 2021-03-15 22:17

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    Is it just me or does the DEBUG window have some kerning issues?
    The rightmost column is actually rompc. but the broken kerning makes it look like "rampc"

I tried to duplicate and mine looks like this:

Yours appears somewhat blurry too (maybe just the post?) as if it's an imperfectly-scaled substitution of the intent. The debugger tries to use the font "Consolas" (or "Courier New" if Consolas isn't available). Now that I look at the code... I'm not sure how it actually works, so I'll have to dig in.