Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Nuts & Volts — Parallax Forums

Nuts & Volts

JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,929
edited 2018-04-04 20:58 in General Discussion
I just received this message from the publisher of Nuts & Volts. It may be old news to you, but I just found out.

To update you quickly on something new …

We are in the process of making a big change from publishing the magazine monthly to publishing bi-monthly to help cut down printing costs, which will help with cash flow. It will be less of an expense to print bigger issues every other month than small ones each month.

The first double issue will be for May-June and will be coming out the end of April. We are not printing an April issue.

Comments

• Do you get or want a double column? So much of the N&V contents are the regular features such as yours.
  • I guess Jon's column would show up every issue now since he was bi-monthly?
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,929
    edited 2018-04-04 22:36
    Do you get or want a double column? So much of the N&V contents are the regular features such as yours.
    My columns are routinely longer than what they ask for, and I recently learned that non-columnists are paid at a much hire rate than those of us who are regular contributors. N&V is a year behind in payments to me -- which aren't that much, anyway. I keep at it so that there is somebody writing about the Propeller.
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    N&V is a year behind in payments to me -- which aren't that much, anyway. I keep at it so that there is somebody writing about the Propeller.

Unsolicited pro tip: while it's in our benefit to have these columns, make them bring your account current before you write any more columns.

Parallax pays them for advertisements with N30. They don't extend us N365. . .

Ken Gracey

• This is probably a decent place to ask this.

Recently I found myself in a Barnes Noble for the first time in 10 years. I was happy to see both N&V and Circellar are still carried on the rack, so I picked up both.

Surprised neither had Parallax ads on the back cover. When did this stop?

• The_Master wrote: »
    Surprised neither had Parallax ads on the back cover. When did this stop?

Couple of years ago, coupled with a change in marketing strategy for education. We're still there in various printed advertisement, but not in the same scale.

As we've learned our own business, this year we poured more funds into education than ever before. We've trained nearly 500 teachers across the country, for free, and given them each their own robot. Only a few more classes in Charleston, Atlanta and Washington D.C. need to be finished in the next few weeks. While I realize you didn't ask about this particular activity, I've just got to point it out for those who think we're vaporizing in some way because they don't see the strong presence in N&V. We've really laid it all down for educators and students like no other company I'm aware of.

Ken Gracey
  • The_MasterThe_Master Posts: 199
    edited 2018-04-05 00:09
    I was curious about the magazines vaporizing. I noticed CC had half the amount of advertising it used to have. I don't recall a difference with NV though.
  • I have to laud Jon for his steadfast contributions to N&V. Magazines don't pay Smile commensurate with the time it takes to produce a polished article. And, to top that off, a monthly or semi-monthly column is a very harsh mistress. Just when you think you can take a breather, the next deadline is looming, and you think, "Oh, geez! What am I going to write about this time?" It takes an iron stomach to do that year after year. 'Been there. Never again!

Thanks, Jon!

-Phil
  • Thank you, Phil. To be clear, Robin (publisher) has always treated me very well and provided me fairly-loose deadlines given my crazy schedule. I finally pushed too hard and my March column didn't make it into print (it will be in the May issue).

It is a bit tough, even when it's every other month. I try to write about what's happening in the moment so that my column isn't stale on hitting the streets. Again, it's tricky. I'm going to do my best to keep up because it seems like I still run across people who say, "Why haven't I heard of the Propeller?" That, to me, is a great mystery. I am hoping, though, that all of Ken's Herculean efforts with Blockly will get people excited about the Propeller. Once they're excited, I'm happy to share what I know about coding the Propeller in Spin.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    JonnyMac wrote: »
    I keep at it so that there is somebody writing about the Propeller.

God bless you and your fine work, JonnyMac.
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Unsolicited pro tip: while it's in our benefit to have these columns, make them bring your account current before you write any more columns.

DONE! I wrote the Mr. Roboto column through all 12 issues of 2017, but stopped for that reason.
    Only a few more classes in Charleston, Atlanta and Washington D.C. need to be finished in the next few weeks. ... We've really laid it all down for educators and students like no other company I'm aware of.

Excellent! Charleston is my hometown, I still have lots of family there. Which school?
    Magazines don't pay Smile commensurate with the time it takes to produce a polished article. And... the next deadline is looming, and you think, "Oh, geez! What am I going to write about this time?"

AMEN, Brother PhiPi!

• Serious recognition for your work, Jon. You're as published as Don Lancaster and Forrest Mims III at this stage. Like Phil said, this is something that's quite unique and deserves serious kudos. As the King of Propellers (KoP) and King of BASIC Stamps (KoBS) it seems we should be hosting a Propeller 2 release party in your honor! Since we met 20 years ago you've been the most consistent person I've encountered. Truly amazing. . .

Ken Gracey
  • I appreciate the kind words, Ken. I think you know how much I've enjoyed working for and with you all these years, and there is a lot of fun yet to come.

It is probably time that I jumped into the P2 pool. I've been watching with interest, but as fluid as it's been I thought it best to wait.
  • Yup Jon,
    You really have provided more inspiration and support to learning microprocessor coders than you realize - witness the shock and horror when your obex contributions went offline for a while!
    You really should consider a reference book!
  • Jon, your coding examples have been incredibly helpful - not just for Spin, but your overall approach has helped me with other languages, such as Visual Basic. I've gone from being a total hobbyist to writing code that has been used at my job, and has measurably affected the bottom line.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    It is probably time that I jumped into the P2 pool. I've been watching with interest, but as fluid as it's been I thought it best to wait.

P2 is moving from fluid to firm....'Release candidate' Verilog is at OnSemi, I think Chip has one newly uncovered bug to scrub...
  • Jon, Do you know if this frequency change also applies to SERVO?

BTW, what is this Propeller thingie you talk about?...
  • jmg wrote: »

P2 is moving from fluid to firm....'Release candidate' Verilog is at OnSemi, I think Chip has one newly uncovered bug to scrub...

This is true, and fabrication date is set for last week of April.

But before we bring in the master, we need a little more in the way of programming tools. Stay put, Jon. I'll let you know when it's time.

jmg, thanks for the help you are providing along the way.

Ken Gracey
  • No notice to subscribers. I just thought that April was late. I also haven't received the April Servo. I will be surprised if the bimonthly issue is twice as big as the monthly. I should have kept a copy of my renewal notice. Is it years or issues? I expect to end up as one of the unsecured creditors in bankruptcy court. JonnyMac's columns were, hopefully will, the highlight of the magazine for me.

John Abshier
  • erco wrote: »

DONE! I wrote the Mr. Roboto column through all 12 issues of 2017, but stopped for that reason.

While they are very kind folks, this is also why I stopped the drone column after nearly 2 years of monthly articles.
    At least the ELEV8 was able to get some cover spotlight!
  • Over the past few years I have had a few articles published in NV (2 propeller based, and one Raspberry PI see December cover). It takes countless hours to put these things together and I don't really do it for the money but expect to be paid, as we have an agreement. I usually receive payment about 90 days after the article is published and that is fine as that is what we agreed to. Late last year my editor either quit or was let go not sure but I really enjoyed working with him. I kind of thought something was up. I’m about halfway through my next article that is both Raspberry Pi and Propeller based.
    Jon, if it will help I will be happy to hold it back until they settle your account. I doubt it will make much of a difference but willing to do what I can. You have given so much to the community.

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2018-04-05 15:45
    Is it years or issues?

It would be stated in years, the same as most any periodical with a specific publishing schedule. That said, it's the general custom to extend out paid subscriptions to fulfill the number of issues a subscriber originally paid for. So if you had one year left, going bimonthly extends your subscription by another year. Advertisers who purchased ads for multiple issues will expect this, too.

Of course this all depends on the magazine, and not having any real contact with them for the last several years I have no idea what they'll do. The FAQ on the N&V site still states a monthly publishing schedule.

This all said, do remember they offer a money back guarantee, and will refund for any unmailed issues. I hope that people don't unilaterally take this option. It's a tough slog to publish a magazine about hobby/educational electronics in this day and age. Most young learners would rather play a game on their phone than put together an electronic circuit. This is the new reality and sometimes it creates circumstances we'd have rather avoided.

• Many periodicals are in the same boat. Newspapers are going the way of the dodo. They all are eager to 'electronically' publish their wares, but the print versions are dying. I do not like 'electronic' published things. First, the reading a computer display after a few hours is tiring on my eyes. Second, I cannot even though I have a waterproof Panasonic Toughbook computer take the thing into the hot tub to read a magazine or catalog. Thirdly, one cannot make notes about things on a computer like they can with a pen on the pages of a catalog.

Companies are trying to squeeze as much profit as possible and cut their expenses as much as possible. That leaves the consumer with fewer and fewer options. It might just take the mother of all solar flares or coronal mass ejections slamming into the earth to convince people that something printed on paper still has some value.

Not trying to be negative, as I do like computers and tech. I remember as a kid spending hours on Compuserve. I also had at that time through the university where I went had access to the early form of the public internet, long before the WWW. Remember Gopher, Archie and Telnet? Pre-Google as I call it now.

Just my thoughts...

Best,

J
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2018-04-05 18:41
    Jon, I'd like to thank you too for your consistent efforts. I started reading N&V back when Scott Edwards was doing the BASIC Stamp column, but it seems like forever since you took it over, quality articles on interesting topics. The N&V web site is really very nice; easy access to past issues. They must have put a lot into that and its maintenance. The oldest one easily accessible there is January 2004, which carries your article on the Stamp PLC, comparing the BS2/PBASIC with the Javelin Stamp/Java. April 2006 was the watershed, the Prop just came out, "Putting a Whole New Spin on Embedded Control". Somehow you manage to run http://www.efx-tek.com/ too, and to have all that active involvement in the world of Hollywood. When was it, indeed, that you started with the Stamp Applications column? (Do get paid!)
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2018-04-05 19:24
    Magazine publishing is a tricky business. Aside from advertising income, your other income (i.e. subscriptions) arrives in advance -- basically customer deposits, a liability on the publisher's balance sheet. That figure has to be carefully amortized over time. IOW, don't spend it all at once. If you do, you're gonna be in financial straits -- especially if subscriptions start to fall off. Then it's almost like a Ponzi scheme: you have to attract new subscribers to fulfill your obligations to the current ones.

-Phil
  • Jon, Do you know if this frequency change also applies to SERVO?

BTW, what is this Propeller thingie you talk about?...

Looks like Servo is going bi-monthly also.

An Email from N&V this morning:
    AN UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

What happened to the April issue?

Nuts & Volts (and SERVO) are changing to a bi-monthly mailing schedule (among other changes). We planned to announce this about a month ago, but we grossly underestimated the amount of time it would take to get the details worked out with the printer, fulfillment house, web developer, distributors, newsstands, periodicals, co-mailing pools, and the list goes on. It turns out the process is not as simple as just changing the mailing frequency. Who’da thought?

• Thanks on the note about Servo. Didn't receive that email but they probably have a very (very) old one for me anyway.

In magazine-land, missing an issue is called "taking a tuck." It's not uncommon, and has often been used to get the printed date of the magazine out a month earlier than the calendar date, so it looks fresh. No one wants the December issue in December. Getting out in October sells more copies. The "missing" issue is picked up on the other end. It does indeed involve a lot of work for fulfillment, at the very least.

I hope this change does bring about a better cash flow position for them as noted in Jon's first message.
  • I am interested in what others think about this state of affairs. Do you think that things will continuously go down this path of non-print or is there a point in which things will turn back to more "hardware" (both electronically and non-electronically) rather than software? One of my great joys in life is getting the print edition of the Financial Times Weekend in my mailbox. A weeks worth of reading in one paper then I take part of the old copy and line my cat's facilities with it and give the rest to a kid who recycles newspapers.

Your thoughts?

Best,

J
  • I think it’s pretty obvious all forms of print are going away. Magazines are all getting smaller, newspapers are a fraction of the size they used to be, etc. etc. I think books will the the form that lasts longest, ebooks are not universally adopted yet.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    My wife is an avid reader. A nice novel lasts 1-2 weeks. She hasn't read a paper book in a couple of years.

She uses my iPad mini and eBooks, paid variety. I let her try out eBooks on my mini - bad move as I never got it back :(

Guess she has saved more than the minis cost as eBooks are around 50% of paperbacks.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Good grief, it's impossible to buy magazines around here anymore. Sure there are still shops stocked with women's health and beauty mags and various puzzle mags. Nothing serious.

The city center "Academic Bookshop" is now full of anything but academic books, mostly piles of self help, "spiritual well being", cookery and cat Smile.
    I noticed the same when visiting California recently.

I was so happy to find a real mag, Nuts & Volts I think it was, in a Maker Faire last year. With articles by well know forum members here. Sadly it got left in a rental car when that was returned and I never got to read it.