Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NASA’s New Rocket Is Powerful Enough To Damage Nearby Buildings At Launch — Parallax Forums

NASA’s New Rocket Is Powerful Enough To Damage Nearby Buildings At Launch

Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
edited 2014-08-25 08:47 in General Discussion
http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-rocket-powerful-enough-damage-nearby-buildings-launch-190226037.html
The record for the loudest test ever conducted at Stennis still belongs to the Saturn V rocket’s first-stage, which featured four engines capable of generating 7.5 million pounds of thrust and powered NASA’s Apollo program to the moon. That test rang in at 204 decibles.

Saturn V could carry about 130 tons into Earth orbit, whereas the SLS will max out at an “unprecedented lift capability” of 143 tons, according to NASA, and have 10 to 20 percent more power than the Saturn V at a maximum of 9.2 million pounds of thrust.

Comments

• TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2014-08-22 18:23
    Let's hope it becomes 'a Shot heard round the World', :thumb:

Deep Space, here we come..err,.go...
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2014-08-22 20:43
    The record for the loudest test ever conducted at Stennis still belongs to the Saturn V rocket’s first-stage, which featured four engines capable of generating 7.5 million pounds of thrust and powered NASA’s Apollo program to the moon.

Yahoo "journalism"...

The Saturn V had five engines, though I don't think they ever tested more than one engine at a time.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2014-08-23 02:13
    A nice tidy 10% increase of Saturn V capacity. I didn't think that the USA was going to leave a gap in load capacity due to the end of the Saturn V.

So much for 'lost technology' preventing going to the moon.
    edited 2014-08-23 05:00

Yeah, you're right about that. I don't know where that idea came from. It's kind of like saying we couldn't fight a war because we can't make B-25 bombers anymore.
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2014-08-23 06:49
    Interesting to see that the center has move from Mississippi to Missouri. Getting facts right doesn't count for much in the internet age.

John Abshier
    edited 2014-08-23 07:12
    Hah, I didn't even read far enough to see that, but hey - Bay St. Louis, Mississippi and St. Louis, Missouri, that's pretty close, right?
  • ValeTValeT Posts: 308
    edited 2014-08-23 07:16
    A nice tidy 10% increase of Saturn V capacity. I didn't think that the USA was going to leave a gap in load capacity due to the end of the Saturn V.

Doesn't mean that NASA will ever have enough money to actually make use of all of the rocket's potential....
    edited 2014-08-23 08:18
    NASA finalizes $2.8 billion Boeing Contract for SLS Rocket (CBS News)

Plans are to go to beyond the Moon on the second mission. I hope it works out. I also hope Boeing has better batteries now.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-08-23 08:24
    ...eventually, the vicinity of Mars.

That either sounds mysterious and a great subject for conspiracy and speculation or they are planning on using Windows 8 on the in-flight computers!
    edited 2014-08-23 08:34
    RDL2004 wrote: »
    NASA finalizes $2.8 billion Boeing Contract for SLS Rocket (CBS News)

Plans are to go to beyond the Moon on the second mission. I hope it works out. I also hope Boeing has better batteries now.

Hmmm.. if I am creamated, maybe they will take my ashes along for a fee. It is the only way I am ever going to do any space travel. I might bring along my dog.
  • ValeTValeT Posts: 308
    edited 2014-08-23 08:37
    I'm going to be cryogenically frozen. Then, I can wake up to a world with a killer AI that wants to destroy us all :)
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-08-23 08:54
    NASA signed undefinitized contracts

Defense Contracting: Use of Undefinitized Contract Actions Understated and Definitization Time Frames Often Not Met (19-JUN-07, GAO-07-559). To meet urgent needs, the Department of Defense (DOD) can issue undefinitized contract actions (UCA), which authorize contractors to begin work before reaching a final agreement on contract terms. The contractor has little incentive to control costs during this period, creating a potential for wasted taxpayer dollars.

Who do you have to know to get in line for these?????
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2014-08-23 10:29
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/22/6058469/spacex-falcon-9-rocket-explodes-during-texas-test-flight

SpaceX's rocket program suffered a setback today, with one of its three-engine Falcon rockets exploding in mid-air during a test flight in McGregor, Texas. The company says it triggered the action after onboard systems detected that something was wrong.
    edited 2014-08-23 10:46
    See pictures here:
    http://www.vox.com/2014/8/23/6056873/commercial-crew-nasa-spacex-boeing

SpaceX's Dragon V2

The startup SpaceX — founded in 2002 by entrepreneur Elon Musk — has been using the initial version of its Dragon capsule to ship cargo to the space station since May 2012. It unveiled the upgraded version, equipped to carry people, this past May.
    Boeing's CST-100

The CST-100 isn't quite as far along as the Dragon: Boeing has conducted some tests of the capsule, dropping it from 14,000 feet over the Nevada desert, but it hasn't been put into space yet, let alone orbit.
    Sierra Nevada's Dream Chaser

The Dream Chaser's design is radically different than the other two capsules in contention. It was developed by the Sierra Nevada Corporation, an aerospace electronics company that bought SpaceDev, a private spaceflight company, in 2008.
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2014-08-23 20:27
    edited 2014-08-24 00:22
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Who do you have to know to get in line for these?????

Undefinitized contracts?
    The President of the United States and his national security advisors would likely be a good start. The heads of certain Senate and House appropriation committees would be a plus as well.

It seems that NASA has crossed the line into defense contracting. I thought we had another program for all that and NASA was not involved in such things.

Russia canceled its contract to supply rockets for the international space station recently, which in turn seems to have gotten the US government in a hurry to close the gap in sourcing as good or better rocketry within the US.
    edited 2014-08-24 14:21
    Russia does not supply rockets to the ISS (International Space Station). There is a contract to provide transport to the ISS via their Soyuz spacecraft. They do supply RD-180 engines to the US defense contractor partnership ULA, which are used only to power Atlas V rockets. The Atlas V is used mainly for military purposes, not for supplying the ISS.

Though due to heightened tensions during the Ukraine crisis Russia announced it would ban the United States from using their RD-180 engines for military purposes, these engines continue to be supplied. Two were delivered August 20, 2014, just a few days ago. Three more are expected later this year.

NASA recently signed a new contract with Russia for transport to the ISS through the 2016-2017 time period. NASA expects to award a contract to a US based company to develop an independent source of transportation to low Earth orbit (LEO) and the ISS sometime in the next few weeks. Possible choices, as mentioned in a previous post in this thread, include SpaceX's Dragon V2, Boeing's CST-100, and Sierra Nevada's Dream Chaser.

Since the "signing of the NASA Authorization Act of 2010 on October 11, 2010, NASA has a clear direction" and is making plans to focus more on space exploration. The Orion MPCV will be the primary spacecraft used for space exploration past LEO, to the Moon and beyond. Launching of the Orion spacecraft is the intended purpose of the Space Launch System (SLS). The Orion/SLS will not be used to service the ISS, however it can do so in a back up role. The first test flight of the Orion is scheduled for December 2014 aboard a Delta IV Heavy launch vehicle.

http://www.spacenews.com/article/launch-report/41622ula-takes-delivery-of-two-rd-180-rocket-engines-from-russia
    http://www.presstv.com/detail/2014/03/22/355640/pentagon-reviews-russia-rocket-engines/
    http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/nasa-enlists-private-space-industry-to-break-reliance-on-russian-rockets/505716.html
    http://www.vox.com/2014/8/23/6056873/commercial-crew-nasa-spacex-boeing
    http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/510449main_SLS_MPCV_90-day_Report.pdf
    http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/mpcv/
    http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/
    edited 2014-08-25 06:51
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/power-players-abc-news/former-nasa-leader-us-space-program-held-hostage-by-russia-113112092.html

EXCERPT:
    Three years ago the shuttles were retired, sent to museums, and U.S. astronauts lost their own ride to space, forced to buy seats on Russian rockets to get back and forth to the International Space Station.

That has put the U.S. in a very bad position, former NASA Administrator Michael Griffin told "Power Players."

"We’re in a hostage situation; Russia can decide, if it wishes to do so, no more U.S. astronauts can ride to the International Space Station, and that’s not a position that I want our nation to be in," Griffin said.
    edited 2014-08-25 07:26
    I don't see how you can have an international space effort, if the USA feels it always has to be in a superior technological position.

I do understand a lot of the nostalgia for NASA and patriotic feelings, but as some point peace requires partnership. Distrust breeds distrust and we just go back to the bad old days. It is hard to say this, but have we missed opportunites with Russia and China or were they just never there?

Space exploration without a global solidarity just may not happen, or it may take the world in unwanted directions.
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2014-08-25 08:47
    I appreciate the work of Elon Musk and even Mark Cuban who, I think, has a project called "Blue Horizons". First of all, I believe it's extremely dangerous to stay outside of the magnetosphere for extended periods. Re-entry into earth's atmosphere being dependent on non-scientists is unacceptable.