Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Project Smile — Parallax Forums

Project Smile

kfuremkfurem Posts: 19
edited 2013-07-08 13:58 in Robotics
I"m building the Smile (Autonomous Rope Shovel Excavator) to continue my work in Autonomous Mining Development. I actually have a couple of patents on the subject (7,578,079 Method for an autonomous loading shovel
7,574,821 Autonomous loading shovel system), but due to health challenges can't really hold a job right now. So to continue my work, I'm building the Smile.

The reasons for the development are:
1. The big mining machines are dinosaurs. They are single process machines that work under strictly defined conditions.
2. Robotic technology can out perform humans in this application.
3. The large equipment manufacturers are stodgy and conservative, happy with the status quo. Can't expect any real progress from them.

[video=youtube_share;qoCqWNpYWAI]

The project primarily consists of:
1. Shovel Structure--built from Vex Hardware
2. Parallax Prop ASC (either 2 or three)
3. Parallax Laser Range Finder (qty 2)
4. Good old pings
5. 9 DC motors
6. 6 Servo Motors
7. Misc passive and active IR systems.
8. 5 quad encoders

I chose the propeller because the multi-core structure looked like a lot of fun and power. I chose the ASC because of price, form factor and the availability of Arduino Interface boards. Also, very important to me is Viewport--saved me so much time by not having to write my own display and debugging software.

So, this is the introduction, if anybody is interested I'll keep posting..

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-07-08 05:58
    Magnificent! Yes, please keep us updated! I'd say "amazing Smile", but that would sound silly. :) Seriously, you'll find many interested parties here. Thanks for posting and welcome!
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-07-08 06:00
    kfurem wrote: »
    ... if anybody is interested I'll keep posting..

Of course we're interested! Around here, ARSEs are in good company. Keep posting!
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-07-08 09:48
    Wow, that is really cool!

I love the shovel motion. I don't suppose I can talk you into taking some close up pictures of your winch mechanisms. I've got a robot I'm slowly building (I've decided to use a CNC router to do a lot of the work and I need to build it first) which also uses Vex treads. I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to use some sort of winches on the robot but I'm unsure about how to design them. It would be great if I could see how you did yours.

Your list of features includes five quadrature encoders. Do you have software to monitor these yet? My Mecanum wheeled robot uses four quadrature encoders. The four encoders are read with a single cog. There's code posted somewhere in the thread which includes the quadrature encoder software.

You also mention plans to use two or three Prop ASC boards. I don't have anything against ASC boards but they are kind of expensive when compared with some of the alternatives. I use a lot of QuickStart boards in my projects since they so inexpensive. I also like how the LEDs are buffered so I can use the LED to monitor I/O pins without the LEDs interfering with the data. Another favorite board (because it's relatively inexpensive) is the Propeller Project board.

Thanks for posting the video. I look forward to seeing your progress.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2013-07-08 10:34
    Is the excavated hole an "Smile hole"? :)
  • kfuremkfurem Posts: 19
    edited 2013-07-08 11:15
    Leon wrote: »
    Is the excavated hole an "Smile hole"? :)

and the full size version is a Big Smile---the full Autonomous version is a Smart Smile
  • kfuremkfurem Posts: 19
    edited 2013-07-08 13:24
    Duane Degn wrote: »

Your list of features includes five quadrature encoders. Do you have software to monitor these yet? My Mecanum wheeled robot uses four quadrature encoders. The four encoders are read with a single cog. There's code posted somewhere in the thread which includes the quadrature encoder software.

I've tried a couple of different objects I picked up at OBEX, :"QEDEngine" and "IdxQuadDecoder" . I actually really liked the Idx version because it's counting every transition. My encoders are only doing position so there's no great speed involved and unfortunately, they are only 90PPR. So when using them for position, very little error is induced by reading all transitions and it gives me 4x the resolution. Unfortunately I"m really short on cogs, so I'm using the QED version which handles 2 encoders. I planned on expanding the Idx, but I'll certainly check yours out. I appreciate the help.:smile:
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2013-07-08 13:58
    Very cool project! A couple years ago the Pike River Mine disaster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_River_Mine_disaster) killed 29 people about an hour from where I live.
    I don't understand why we're still putting so many lives at risk- I don't think full automation is there yet, but at least let the operators drive their equipment remotely- from the surface. Let me know if you need any help with ViewPort...
    Hanno