Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Slave Mode w/ PC? — Parallax Forums

Slave Mode w/ PC?

ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
edited 2006-04-28 19:04 in Propeller 1
Is Propeller able to function in slave mode w/ a PC or PDA (such as iPAQ)?

Any ideas or pointers to existing threads.

Thanks

ALIBE

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-04-28 14:41
    Can you be a little more specific? If you are asking if the propeller can sit on the other end of a serial connection to a PC, take serial commands and act upon them, then yes it can.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1+1=10
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-28 14:42
    Sure, why not? Just setup a serial connection with the PC and do whatever you want to do.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-04-28 14:45
    Generally, I suspect Slave mode is easier than Master.· I presume you mean Async serial in this case as a PC is involved, but I think you can generalize to all serial slaves [noparse][[/noparse]including SPI and I2C]

The Slave takes·direction from the Master and merely has to wait for the Master to iniate communications and follow a standard routine according to whatever the request is.

On the other hand, the Master has send, recieve, and often verify what the Slave is doing.· If it is not correct, the errors have to be handled with a repeat attempt or other remedies.· There may be more error trapping overhead as the validity of the data may be·in question·[noparse][[/noparse]CRC, parity, etc.].·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2006-04-28 19:04
    Kramer, I'm thinking I would implement a custom RS232 handshake w/ ref to CRC/Parity/etc note you make

Paul, Jon; thanks for your comments. I might dedicate a cog to handle the comm channel btwn PC and Prop. and see how that shakes.